Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 548

Thread: US Police arrest Florida pastor

  1. #101
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i also see the reverse potentially being present
    no one was paying attention
    he would burn those books without an audience, if he obtained the requisite fire burning permit
    and if he adhered to the local laws governing the possession of arms
    so, to gain an audience - witness this thread - he defies authorities
    and pretends the estoppel of his action is based on the korans to be burned rather than his non-compliance with the burning and weapons laws
    Also possible - which would also suggest that the arrest may be counterproductive if, as you claim, there was no audience.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #102
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    And a felony.
    Quote Originally Posted by sawdust View Post
    He was arrested for misdemeanor open carry of a fire arm and improper trailer registration. Honestly if it weren't for his plans to burn the books, they would have let him off with a warning, or they may not have been targeting him at all.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  3. #103
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Also possible - which would also suggest that the arrest may be counterproductive if, as you claim, there was no audience.
    so, a permit should have been granted for an unsafe burning only because there was no expected audience?

    he should have been allowed to carry a weapon in violation of local weapons laws only because he had no audience?

    i cannot accept your argument
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #104
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i also see the reverse potentially being present
    no one was paying attention
    he would burn those books without an audience, if he obtained the requisite fire burning permit
    and if he adhered to the local laws governing the possession of arms
    so, to gain an audience - witness this thread - he defies authorities
    and pretends the estoppel of his action is based on the korans to be burned rather than his non-compliance with the burning and weapons laws
    Oh, yes, I agree.

    Publicity to Terry Jones is like heroin to a junky.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #105
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And it's dishonest to go after Mafia and drug kingpins for tax evasion when the real intent is to put criminals behind bars.

    It's just so dishonest
    Glad you admit the dishonesty in your former position - clearly, in your Mafia case, you understand that the actual crime the authorities wish punished is not the tax evasion that they were able to saddle them with but the drug and other actions they couldn't prosecute.

    Congrats on finally admitting you understand.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  6. #106
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Glad you admit the dishonesty in your former position - clearly, in your Mafia case, you understand that the actual crime the authorities wish punished is not the tax evasion that they were able to saddle them with but the drug and other actions they couldn't prosecute.

    Congrats on finally admitting you understand.
    And congrats to you for admitting that there's nothing wrong with prosecuting people for the crimes they can hang on someone
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #107
    Guru
    sawdust's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    03-04-16 @ 09:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,177

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by mak2 View Post
    And a felony.
    Sheriff's deputies in Polk County, Fla., arrested Pastor Terry Jones, 61, and his associate pastor, Marvin Sapp Jr., 44, each on a felony charge of unlawful conveyance of fuel. Jones had said he was heading to a nearby park in Mulberry to burn the Qurans on Wednesday, the 12th anniversary of the attacks. Sheriff's officials said that Jones was also charged with unlawful open-carry of a firearm, a misdemeanor, and that Sapp faces a charge of having no valid registration for the trailer.

    Both were being booked Wednesday night into the Polk County jail, according to Sheriff Grady
    Fla. Pastor Arrested Before He Could Burn Qurans - ABC News

    You're right about the felony but the charges seem suspicious.

  8. #108
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    so, a permit should have been granted for an unsafe burning only because there was no expected audience?

    he should have been allowed to carry a weapon in violation of local weapons laws only because he had no audience?

    i cannot accept your argument
    Well, my argument is that sometimes the authorities simply ignore minor offenses committed by protestors in order not to escalate a situation or to cause more attention to be brought to bare than would happen if they didn't interfere. Surely, you must understand that police on a daily basis look the other way when crimes are being committed by those protesting in public places. Do you think every "crime" that was committed by the Occupy Wall Street crowds all over the west were charged and people arrested by the truckload then?

    I'm not saying the pastor in question isn't an a-one dick, just saying that people who claim he wasn't arrested because of what he proposed to do are being dishonest about what's really going on here.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #109
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    i also see the reverse potentially being present
    no one was paying attention
    he would burn those books without an audience, if he obtained the requisite fire burning permit
    and if he adhered to the local laws governing the possession of arms
    so, to gain an audience - witness this thread - he defies authorities
    and pretends the estoppel of his action is based on the korans to be burned rather than his non-compliance with the burning and weapons laws
    NPR reports that he applied for a permit but was denied.

    Pastor Terry Jones Arrested Before Planned Quran Burning : The Two-Way : NPR

  10. #110
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: US Police arrest Florida pastor

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    And congrats to you for admitting that there's nothing wrong with prosecuting people for the crimes they can hang on someone
    I never claimed otherwise - I simply called out people who claimed that the underlying reason he was arrested had nothing to do with his protest when it had everything to do with his protest.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •