Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 87

Thread: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    In what is being reported as a surprise move, the 40,000 members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) announced that they have formally ended their association with the AFL-CIO, one of the nation’s largest private sector unions. The Longshoremen citied Obamacare and immigration reform as two important causes of their disaffiliation.

    Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    Ironic isn't it, Obama is screwing the very people that got him re-elected
    Last edited by Rocketman; 09-02-13 at 07:31 PM.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    WOW! Interesting we hear about this first from the Canadian press.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,083

    Re: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    If you read the actual letter, ObamaCare is mentioned twice in 2 different sentences in what is literally a 3 page letter. Their problems are boiled down to this:

    1. Attacks by affiliates.
    2. Job security.
    3. ILWU frustration with the Federation being too moderate.

    Good hit piece though. We wouldn't expect Libertarians to actually read the letter that was being cited.

    ILWU Disaffiliation 8-29-2013
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If you read the actual letter, ObamaCare is mentioned twice in 2 different sentences in what is literally a 3 page letter. Their problems are boiled down to this:

    1. Attacks by affiliates.
    2. Job security.
    3. ILWU frustration with the Federation being too moderate.

    Good hit piece though. We wouldn't expect Libertarians to actually read the letter that was being cited.

    ILWU Disaffiliation 8-29-2013
    Unions were betrayed by Obamacare, many union members are being forced into earlier retirement so their spouse coverage costs do not change on them. Obama lied to evey union person when discussing this plan. Some will support him to the end but the smarter ones are beginning to wake up.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,083

    Re: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Unions were betrayed by Obamacare, many union members are being forced into earlier retirement so their spouse coverage costs do not change on them. Obama lied to evey union person when discussing this plan. Some will support him to the end but the smarter ones are beginning to wake up.
    You still haven't read the letter cited have you? In a letter that is mostly about the ILWU having a beef with the AFL, you decided that the reason the ILWU was REALLY leaving was because of a tax that is mentioned in what are literally 2 sentences. Read the letter. Then, get back to me. Until then - you're just one more ignorant Libertarian talking out of the side of his mouth.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You still haven't read the letter cited have you? In a letter that is mostly about the ILWU having a beef with the AFL, you decided that the reason the ILWU was REALLY leaving was because of a tax that is mentioned in what are literally 2 sentences. Read the letter. Then, get back to me. Until then - you're just one more ignorant Libertarian talking out of the side of his mouth.
    I read the letter but that on enforces what is in the thread title, many more union members will be following this one as Obama did to them what he has done to everyone while telling them he was on their side. Obama is a POS.

  7. #7
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    Unions were betrayed by Obamacare, many union members are being forced into earlier retirement so their spouse coverage costs do not change on them. Obama lied to evey union person when discussing this plan. Some will support him to the end but the smarter ones are beginning to wake up.
    They won't stop supporting the democrats because they are idiots. I have been saying it since I got here and will be saying it after I am gone--the entire US trade policy is based upon what is good for GM and the autoworkers unions. They will sell every other worker and union down the river if it means they can sell 100 more Buicks to China. It has been this way since the 80's. Why the democrats are worse than the GOP on this IMO, is that the democratic intelligentsia looks down their noses at blue-collar workers and just uses them as pawns. They could give a rat's ass about the little man.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Fletch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mentor Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    15,283

    Re: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    You still haven't read the letter cited have you? In a letter that is mostly about the ILWU having a beef with the AFL, you decided that the reason the ILWU was REALLY leaving was because of a tax that is mentioned in what are literally 2 sentences. Read the letter. Then, get back to me. Until then - you're just one more ignorant Libertarian talking out of the side of his mouth.
    Spoken like a true, arrogant liberal. Excuse me, Very liberal.

  9. #9
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,083

    Re: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Spoken like a true, arrogant liberal. Excuse me, Very liberal.
    I read the letter. Did you?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Arlington, tx
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    362

    Re: Citing Obamacare, 40,000 Longshoremen Quit the AFL-CIO

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    They won't stop supporting the democrats because they are idiots. I have been saying it since I got here and will be saying it after I am gone--the entire US trade policy is based upon what is good for GM and the autoworkers unions. They will sell every other worker and union down the river if it means they can sell 100 more Buicks to China. It has been this way since the 80's. Why the democrats are worse than the GOP on this IMO, is that the democratic intelligentsia looks down their noses at blue-collar workers and just uses them as pawns. They could give a rat's ass about the little man.
    Yeah they are going to turn to the the Republicans that want them gone lol. I read the letter and it mention ACA twice! Plus it is 11% of the total Union. I am going to take a nap now wake me up when you have something worht reading!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •