Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    Like all the defendants appearing before Judge Patrick Dugan on a recent Wednesday, Piscitelli and Peters are veterans who chose to have their cases handled in a special court established for those once in the military.

    More than justice is meted out.

    Before the judge takes the bench, a volunteer approaches the veterans one by one offering help with such things as resume-writing and job hunting. A second volunteer steers them to long-distance runs and fitness classes. A representative from a community college discusses the advantages of higher education.

    There's also a worker from the local Veterans Affairs medical center who's checking to make sure defendants are getting doctor appointments, disability benefits, housing vouchers or any other benefit to which they're entitled.

    "This is the touchy, feely, kissy, huggy court," explained Janet DiTomasso, who helps administer the Philadelphia court.

    The veterans court operates under the philosophy that many of the defendants who have run into trouble with the law need treatment, not incarceration. Some courts only take misdemeanor cases. Some only handle veterans who received an honorable discharge.

    The evaluation of the nation's veterans courts is in the early stages. The Department of Veterans Affairs found that 7,724 veterans had entered the courts through 2012, and more than half were still being monitored and treated.

    Of those who had finished veterans court, about two-thirds graduated successfully. The others were transferred to other courts, quit the program or suffered illness or death. Studies are in the works to determine longer-term recidivism rates.....snip~

    Special courts for veterans expanding across US

    Well.....I am somewhat conflicted over this Idea. On one hand I stand for anything that is a benefit for those who Have Served and Shed Blood for this Country. On the other I just can't see Special Courts being set up on a touchy, feely, kissy, huggy court. What next Special Courts for Other groups out there. Thoughts upon the matter.

  2. #2
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Like all the defendants appearing before Judge Patrick Dugan on a recent Wednesday, Piscitelli and Peters are veterans who chose to have their cases handled in a special court established for those once in the military.

    More than justice is meted out.

    Before the judge takes the bench, a volunteer approaches the veterans one by one offering help with such things as resume-writing and job hunting. A second volunteer steers them to long-distance runs and fitness classes. A representative from a community college discusses the advantages of higher education.

    There's also a worker from the local Veterans Affairs medical center who's checking to make sure defendants are getting doctor appointments, disability benefits, housing vouchers or any other benefit to which they're entitled.

    "This is the touchy, feely, kissy, huggy court," explained Janet DiTomasso, who helps administer the Philadelphia court.

    The veterans court operates under the philosophy that many of the defendants who have run into trouble with the law need treatment, not incarceration. Some courts only take misdemeanor cases. Some only handle veterans who received an honorable discharge.

    The evaluation of the nation's veterans courts is in the early stages. The Department of Veterans Affairs found that 7,724 veterans had entered the courts through 2012, and more than half were still being monitored and treated.

    Of those who had finished veterans court, about two-thirds graduated successfully. The others were transferred to other courts, quit the program or suffered illness or death. Studies are in the works to determine longer-term recidivism rates.....snip~

    Special courts for veterans expanding across US

    Well.....I am somewhat conflicted over this Idea. On one hand I stand for anything that is a benefit for those who Have Served and Shed Blood for this Country. On the other I just can't see Special Courts being set up on a touchy, feely, kissy, huggy court. What next Special Courts for Other groups out there. Thoughts upon the matter.

    perhaps this type of program should be implemented during the discharge phase of enlistment, rather than waiting for our boys to find themselves in a bit of trouble...

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    perhaps this type of program should be implemented during the discharge phase of enlistment, rather than waiting for our boys to find themselves in a bit of trouble...
    Mornin Chez .....now that I could see. Not special courts being made up.

  4. #4
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin Chez .....now that I could see. Not special courts being made up.
    perhaps I need another cuppa, but I'm not taking your meaning...(and a good mornin to ye..)

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    One problem with this in these strange days we live in is that so many vets were thugs before they joined the service and unfortunately may go right back to that life when they go back to civilian life and the use these courts to their advantage.

    "According to a recently released FBI report, Gang-related activity in the US military is increasing and poses a threat to law enforcement officials and national security".

    "The report, Gang Activity in the U.S. Armed Forces Increasing, dated January 12, states that members of nearly every major street gang have been identified on both domestic and international military installations. Members of nearly every major street gang, including the Bloods, Crips, Black Disciples, Gangster Disciples, Hells Angels, Latin Kings, The 18th Street Gang, Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13), Mexican Mafia, Nortenos, Surenos, Vice Lords, and various white supremacist groups, have been documented on military installations"


    Gang Activity in the U.S. Military

  6. #6
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Mornin Chez .....now that I could see. Not special courts being made up.
    Some places have something like that for first time drug offenders. Having a proactive program for first time offenders who are honorably discharged wouldn't bother me so much.

  7. #7
    Sage
    KevinKohler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,990
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    I always thought justice was supposed to be blind.
    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Reports indicate that everyone knew he was hauling a bunch of guns up there. But, since you brought it up, there's something which should be illegal: guns that breakdown.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by ChezC3 View Post
    perhaps I need another cuppa, but I'm not taking your meaning...(and a good mornin to ye..)
    I don't see any reason to set up Special Courts.....If they get out of the service and get caught up into something. A regular Court a law can do this. With Vets going thru a Bench trial and no Jury.

  9. #9
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    I don't see any reason to set up Special Courts.....If they get out of the service and get caught up into something. A regular Court a law can do this. With Vets going thru a Bench trial and no Jury.
    Oh, yeah, I agree, but I do believe part of separation should involve all the above mentioned services.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Special Courts for Veterans Expanding Across US.....

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    One problem with this in these strange days we live in is that so many vets were thugs before they joined the service and unfortunately may go right back to that life when they go back to civilian life and the use these courts to their advantage.

    "According to a recently released FBI report, Gang-related activity in the US military is increasing and poses a threat to law enforcement officials and national security".

    "The report, Gang Activity in the U.S. Armed Forces Increasing, dated January 12, states that members of nearly every major street gang have been identified on both domestic and international military installations. Members of nearly every major street gang, including the Bloods, Crips, Black Disciples, Gangster Disciples, Hells Angels, Latin Kings, The 18th Street Gang, Mara Salvatrucha (MS-13), Mexican Mafia, Nortenos, Surenos, Vice Lords, and various white supremacist groups, have been documented on military installations"


    Gang Activity in the U.S. Military
    Yep SL.....they are everywhere, and even have been setting up operations out in the Rural and Wide Open Spaces.

    Course the real kicker there is which ones are tied to Other Countries, politically, socially, and economically.

    But I think their crimes will be far beyond just some misdemeanor crimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •