Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 223

Thread: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

  1. #81
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    yeah..umm.. we're not talking about judges in general

    ....we're talking about supreme court justices.

    I don't think I've ever heard of any sitting supreme court justice officiating any weddings ( which is why i asked earlier if anyone has heard of such a thing)

    I think the OP nailed it.. it was a middle finger to political rivals.
    I doubt I will see a retraction from you when someone proves you wrong, correct?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  2. #82
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    I used to follow SCOTUS more but I find their fallibility, yet iron fisted power, disturbing. I find the Court Process disturbing after going through it three times. The power that a Judge wields is not right. They are just people and can assume, be wrong, not get it, be swayed for whatever reason in my case sexist old school family court mind set..;. etc. I have a problem with Ginsberg and her ilk trying to regulate their views from the Court more alarming and destructive than just about anything else.
    I agree. They get those jobs for the REST OF THEIR LIVES.....that's fkn scary.

    The power that a Judge wields is not right. They are just people and can assume, be wrong, not get it, be swayed for whatever reason in my case sexist old school family court mind set..;. et
    Agreed, they are just people and because of that fallible. I had bad experiences in family court too. Don't know what an alternative would be though.

  3. #83
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    LOL.

    Just about every time a person gets into a discussion about this issue with a member of the thought police, one of the first things that has to happen is to be told you hate, you are a bigot and so on. It's like an old stuck broken record or something. Just so you will know, that crap doesn't work on me. So keep it up if you want or try something else if you want. Maybe your thought police friends get off on it but I don't pay it much mind.

    If the bakery couple didn't want to make the cake for the gay couple on their religious beliefs, well, there is that freedom of religion thing that the Constitution is supposed to look out for people for. Funny how that thought never crossed your mind or if it did, you didn't mention it because it wouldn't fit your legal theory example. Last time I checked, the US constitution checked any and all state law. But maybe you and the thought police don't care much for the Constitution?
    Blah blah blah thought police blah blah. Their religion doesn't say anything about baking except when it's okay to use leavened bread. The state voted, and they decided they didn't want discrimination against gays. That was your standard, wasn't it? Or is it only the standard when the state votes the way you want it to?
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  4. #84
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:07 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,948

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    I agree. They get those jobs for the REST OF THEIR LIVES.....that's fkn scary.
    I think that they should get a ten year term with no chance for another appointment on the Court... a simple solution.

    Agreed, they are just people and because of that fallible. I had bad experiences in family court too. Don't know what an alternative would be though.
    Me either. I was just shocked at some of the conclusions that our Judge came up with. Shocked. My ex had a history of physically attacking me, etc. yet somehow the Judge concluded that I had the anger problems and that I was the resentful bitter ex. etc. It was ridiculous and insulting reading his Decision, even though I won.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,028

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    I doubt I will see a retraction from you when someone proves you wrong, correct?
    Justice Clarence Thomas officiated at Rush Limbaugh's wedding in 1994,
    Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg presided over Alan Greenspan's wedding in 1983 and National Public Radio correspondent Nina Totenberg's wedding in 2000,
    Justice Sonia Sotomayor performed her former law clerk's wedding in 2009
    Justice Stephen Breyer married Patrick Kennedy with his bride Amy Petitgout in 2011

    Supreme Court Justice to Officiate Kennedy Wedding - People and Events - U.S. Supreme Court
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  6. #86
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Blah blah blah thought police blah blah. Their religion doesn't say anything about baking except when it's okay to use leavened bread. The state voted, and they decided they didn't want discrimination against gays. That was your standard, wasn't it? Or is it only the standard when the state votes the way you want it to?
    Now you are going to pretend to be an expert on what a persons religious beliefs are too? LOL.


    Did the people of a state vote or did a judge rule? Big difference. But either way, a state can pass any law it wants but if it doesn't pass Constitutional muster it won't be that long before a judge rules the correct way. Freedom of religion is protected in our country, some people or some groups of people may not like it one bit (especially the thought police) but that's just to bad. In the end, people place more value in the constitution and tradition, family values, common sense, morality and such than they do about peoples sex habits.
    "ďIf we donít deepen our ports all along the Gulf ó places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, FloridaÖĒ -Obama

  7. #87
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Justice Clarence Thomas officiated at Rush Limbaugh's wedding in 1994,
    Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg presided over Alan Greenspan's wedding in 1983 and National Public Radio correspondent Nina Totenberg's wedding in 2000,
    Justice Sonia Sotomayor performed her former law clerk's wedding in 2009
    Justice Stephen Breyer married Patrick Kennedy with his bride Amy Petitgout in 2011

    Supreme Court Justice to Officiate Kennedy Wedding - People and Events - U.S. Supreme Court
    Wow, I Googled that and got an article stating that she was the first. hmmmmm.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,028

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Wow, I Googled that and got an article stating that she was the first. hmmmmm.
    I put my google search in the past. From 2001 until November 2012 and I found that article.

    If you searched today, almost all the stories would be about Ginsberg and this same sex wedding.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  9. #89
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Now you are going to pretend to be an expert on what a persons religious beliefs are too? LOL.


    Did the people of a state vote or did a judge rule? Big difference. But either way, a state can pass any law it wants but if it doesn't pass Constitutional muster it won't be that long before a judge rules the correct way. Freedom of religion is protected in our country, some people or some groups of people may not like it one bit (especially the thought police) but that's just to bad. In the end, people place more value in the constitution and tradition, family values, common sense, morality and such than they do about peoples sex habits.
    It's illegal for businesses to discriminate in that state. If they want to run a bigoted business, they have to do it in another state. That state said "No."
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  10. #90
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,563
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    If two people want to find someone to marry them so they can go play house…I don’t care. But there are multiple reasons for the state to only recognize opposite-sex marriages.
    Wow, so your position is that a religious ceremony binding a same-sex couple is perfectly fine with you, but it should not have the same LEGAL effect as a heterosexual marriage! That’s the first time I’ve seen that argument. Let’s examine it, shall we?


    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    Such as,

    1. Marriage--as defined as being between men and women exclusively--is the basis for any culture. This has been true regardless of the culture itself including factors such as time, geography, religion, race, etc. And children are best served in a family consisting of their biological mother and father.
    Not quite true. Marriage, as an “institution” has only existed in relatively recent times as part of the outgrowth of organized religion. For the greatest part of human existence there was no such thing. The dominant male could do whatever he wanted, including have sex with every female member of the tribal group, or “dominate” any younger or weaker male if he felt like it. Even in historical times there are oodles of examples of same sex bonding recognized by law or culture. What is true in your statement is that one important social aspect of organized religion was the power to sanctify a bond between a man and a woman so as to lend stability to a family unit.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    2. Fatherless homes are the number one predictor of antisocial behavior in teens.

    3. Maternal deprivation is shown to increase a child’s incidence of alcoholism and impulsiveness (while I’ve posted a few links I think we all intuitively know that a child needs both a mother and a father for proper development).
    So having two fathers or two mothers might double antisocial behavior in teens or serve to increase alcoholism in children? Hardly a factual presumption.

    I think you misrepresent the problems with having a single parent household as being uncorrectable in a two-parent household of same-sex parents. Having few examples of same-sex situations to prove your point, you again project your personal bias and assume facts not in evidence.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    4. A change in the definition of marriage only hurts the institution of marriage and thus society as a whole. Consider that marriage used to be a permanent institution and divorce was a rather rate occurrence until “no-fault divorce” became law and divorce became easier to obtain. Today nearly half of all marriages end in divorce and the impact on children in devastating.
    It is your assumption this will “hurt the institution of marriage,” but this presumes facts not in evidence. Simply because YOU don’t like the idea is no basis for that presumption either. In fact, YOUR heterosexual marriage is not affected at all unless YOU allow it to be. Opining about divorce, aside from being a red herring issue here, only affects those who choose to get a divorce not those who remain “happily married.”

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    5. As a result of high divorce rates many couples choose to live together without the benefit, responsibilities and obligations of marriage. This, too, has a dangerous affect on marriage as those who live together first and then marry are more likely to get divorced, once again, harming any children involved.

    6. The state provides divorce courts, child services, women services, etc. all relating to the break-up of families. It is a multi-billion dollar expense that tax-payers must absorb. As such the state would be better off limiting divorces to the best of their ability (limiting marriage to it traditional sense: one man + one woman for life).
    Again with the “divorce” issue? We are talking about same-sex marriage and thus you are again presuming facts not in evidence. Why should you care about same-sex couples getting a divorce affecting children? Whether or not a same-sex couple makes some arrangement about having a child (adoption, artificial insemination, w/e) at worst it would be little different from heterosexual couples who contemplate children and divorce. All of your “divorce points” apply to marriage in general, thus none of them have special merit in relation to same sex marriage.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Baron View Post
    7. As marriage comes to mean less and less, people are relying less and less on the institution. One of the newer trends in relationships involves the “hook up”, where an individual finds a sexual outlet in another person for a time. There is only a minimal, in any, relationship outside a sexual relationship. Children born out of such arrangements will suffer.
    You final point is a blatant appeal to emotion based upon false premises, red herrings, presumptions of facts not in evidence, and simple personal bias. Try again, this "don't make it legal" argument simply won’t fly.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 09-02-13 at 10:25 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •