Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 223

Thread: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    thats why its just a stone and it does have substance IMO because she is the first

    and as a bonus at the very least it pisses bigots off and thats great entertainment too
    nobody cares that she is the first ( besides the odd fringe supporter)... and nobody is pissed off.

    i think it's rather silly to overshadow 2 peoples wedding with overt political theater... but that's just me being all weird.

  2. #42
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    1.)nobody cares that she is the first ( besides the odd fringe supporter)... and nobody is pissed off.
    2.) i think it's rather silly to overshadow 2 peoples wedding with overt political theater... but that's just me being all weird.
    1.) false, many LARGE groups are spreading this info
    2.) false, there are people in this thread that seem pissed and there are definitely people in the word blasting this on blogs message boards etc. Saying she should not be a judge, shes is evil she shouldnt be allowed to sit on any cases involve equal rights now etc
    3.) what if the people in the wedding are super thrilled about it and its what they want? doesnt their opinion matter or is that just being all weird also
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  3. #43
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    1.) false, many LARGE groups are spreading this info
    2.) false, there are people in this thread that seem pissed and there are definitely people in the word blasting this on blogs message boards etc. Saying she should not be a judge, shes is evil she shouldnt be allowed to sit on any cases involve equal rights now etc
    3.) what if the people in the wedding are super thrilled about it and its what they want? doesnt their opinion matter or is that just being all weird also
    1.yes, the media is spreading the "information"... generally the lefty media in order to do exactly what the OP likes about it ( the middle finger to political rivals)

    2.. beware of assuming being opposed to something is equal to being pissed about it..i'm willing to bet very very few people care at all

    3..it's telling you have to ask "what if...?"... ya see, the story was never about the folks getting married.. it was about the Justice presiding over it.. the wedding and the people in it come a distant 2nd, they are ancillary to the "real" story.... and that is what I find sad about it... but meh, political theater and giving middle fingers to political rivals is what a lot of people are all about today.

  4. #44
    Guru
    The Baron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Somewhere in Dixie
    Last Seen
    11-26-17 @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,803

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    that's true enough... but then there's a matter utilizing the state to coerce others into living by your standards, morals, and religious traditions that doesn't reconcile very well with libertarianism.
    If two people want to find someone to marry them so they can go play houseÖI donít care. But there are multiple reasons for the state to only recognize opposite-sex marriages. Such as,

    1. Marriage--as defined as being between men and women exclusively--is the basis for any culture. This has been true regardless of the culture itself including factors such as time, geography, religion, race, etc. And children are best served in a family consisting of their biological mother and father.

    2. Fatherless homes are the number one predictor of antisocial behavior in teens.

    3. Maternal deprivation is shown to increase a childís incidence of alcoholism and impulsiveness (while Iíve posted a few links I think we all intuitively know that a child needs both a mother and a father for proper development).

    4. A change in the definition of marriage only hurts the institution of marriage and thus society as a whole. Consider that marriage used to be a permanent institution and divorce was a rather rate occurrence until ďno-fault divorceĒ became law and divorce became easier to obtain. Today nearly half of all marriages end in divorce and the impact on children in devastating.

    5. As a result of high divorce rates many couples choose to live together without the benefit, responsibilities and obligations of marriage. This, too, has a dangerous affect on marriage as those who live together first and then marry are more likely to get divorced, once again, harming any children involved.

    6. The state provides divorce courts, child services, women services, etc. all relating to the break-up of families. It is a multi-billion dollar expense that tax-payers must absorb. As such the state would be better off limiting divorces to the best of their ability (limiting marriage to it traditional sense: one man + one woman for life).

    7. As marriage comes to mean less and less, people are relying less and less on the institution. One of the newer trends in relationships involves the ďhook upĒ, where an individual finds a sexual outlet in another person for a time. There is only a minimal, in any, relationship outside a sexual relationship. Children born out of such arrangements will suffer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    the progressives we have around here won't like that you are opposed to it at all...anything short of full support is unacceptable to them.
    Whatís new? If you donít march in lockstep like a Nazi theyíll accuse you of being a Nazi.
    "Liberalism is a doctrine fostered by a delusional and illogical people and rabidly promoted by the mainstream media and ruling elite which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." - unknown

  5. #45
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    1.yes, the media is spreading the "information"... generally the lefty media in order to do exactly what the OP likes about it ( the middle finger to political rivals)

    2.. beware of assuming being opposed to something is equal to being pissed about it..i'm willing to bet very very few people care at all

    3..it's telling you have to ask "what if...?"... ya see, the story was never about the folks getting married.. it was about the Justice presiding over it.. the wedding and the people in it come a distant 2nd, they are ancillary to the "real" story.... and that is what I find sad about it... but meh, political theater and giving middle fingers to political rivals is what a lot of people are all about today.
    1.) well thats what media does, media sucks, but the fact is many people care that are not just fringe
    2.) this is also true some people might not be actually pissed but again the fact is there are pissed people out there
    3.) its not telling, im reality based, its a honest question that you seemed to ASSUME wasnt the case

    also in 2013 there wedding is in no way a NATIONAL story, im sure the people that it means something to dont see this as an over shawdow at all because it impacts thier feelings and caring zero

    example: say i get married tomorrow and something happens at my wedding for the first time, to be honest the only person i care about is going to be who i marry so the national news can do what ever they want, hell so can the local news, the only thing that matters to me is my marriage . . . .me and my wife would only care about us, nothing us would matter and if it did thats also what we would want.

    its a non issue

    but this actually ties into very nicely with all the loons that try and say other peoples marriages or opinions effect their marriage, it doesnt unless they want it too
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #46
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    She should recuse herself from all future cases regarding SSM that may go to the SCOTUS.
    LOL....I was WAITING for someone to say this. ...and of course you believe that anyone who performs straight only marriages should recuse themselves as well? Right?
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #47
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,360

    Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    This is a non event. Now if she were to officiate in a state where it was still prohibited, that would be a story.
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi do

  8. #48
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    LOL....I was WAITING for someone to say this. ...and of course you believe that anyone who performs straight only marriages should recuse themselves as well? Right?
    If there was a law in place set to repeal straight marriage yes. When they perform gay "marriages" they have become personally invested in such a thing and the ruling may directly reverse what they previously did. I don't care if they speak out on views, but if they lead an organization or have vested interest (like a law that may impact "marriages" they performed) they need to recuse themselves.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  9. #49
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,129

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    If there was a law in place set to repeal straight marriage yes. When they perform gay "marriages" they have become personally invested in such a thing and the ruling may directly reverse what they previously did. I don't care if they speak out on views, but if they lead an organization or have vested interest (like a law that may impact "marriages" they performed) they need to recuse themselves.
    How is performing a gay wedding "taking side" any more than someone performing a "straights only" wedding? There is absolutely no basis for recusal.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #50
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,952

    Re: Ginsburg nationís first Supreme Court justice to officiate a same-sex ceremony

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    How is performing a gay wedding "taking side" any more than someone performing a "straights only" wedding? There is absolutely no basis for recusal.
    Going out of your way to perform a duty not typical of your office to make a statement is taking a side...
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •