Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

  1. #1
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    What happened to the most transparent government America has ever had? Where is the transparency?
    President Obama and his successors in the Oval Office are not obligated to make public the names of individuals visiting the White House, according to a decision of the federal Circuit Court for the District of Columbia made public Friday.The case was brought by Judicial Watch, the government watchdog nonprofit that has been fighting a long legal battle seeking to force release of the White House visitor logs as public records under the Freedom of Information Act.
    But in a decision that is drawing intense criticism from across the ideological spectrum, the circuit court said the president has a "constitutional perogative" not to tell the American people who he or his staff meets with in the White House.

    Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public | WashingtonExaminer.com


    He doesn't practice what he preaches.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

  2. #2
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-16 @ 07:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,526

    Re: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    Most transparent Admin eva!!!

  3. #3
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,972

    Re: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishstyx View Post
    Most transparent Admin eva!!!
    President Obama made partial visitor logs publicly available back in 2009. Could you compare the amount of information provided by Obama to any previous presidents? I honestly don't know how many Presidents release what percentage of logs, but let's say Obama releases 5% of the information and former president's had released 0%, that would still make him the most transparent ever, would it not?

    So the challenge I have for you is to compare Obama's publicly available logs to the publicly available logs to previous presidents. Let me know how it goes, I'm genuinely interested.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    Eh, no point in defending it. If true, it's yet another broken promise, and this one would have been easy to keep.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,972

    Re: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Eh, no point in defending it. If true, it's yet another broken promise, and this one would have been easy to keep.
    President Obama began making public some of the White House visitor logs in 2009, but refused a Judicial Watch request for all of the logs.
    Source: Link in opening post

    Releasing the logs IS being transparent. Making a promise to be the most transparent in history does not mean making EVERYTHING he does transparent. Given the fact the President is often involved in classified issues of national security, your expectation of him telling everyone everything is rather naive. As I said, if he's releasing more than his predecessors, that WOULD make him the most transparent.

  6. #6
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    Eh, no point in defending it. If true, it's yet another broken promise, and this one would have been easy to keep.
    The President hasn't released his nuclear launch codes to the public! So much for transparency. Thanks, Obama.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Source: Link in opening post

    Releasing the logs IS being transparent. Making a promise to be the most transparent in history does not mean making EVERYTHING he does transparent. Given the fact the President is often involved in classified issues of national security, your expectation of him telling everyone everything is rather naive. As I said, if he's releasing more than his predecessors, that WOULD make him the most transparent.
    It might be relative to a point, but it's still a broken promise. The patriot act and NSA bull**** is, too. There's also a candidate Obama quote from 2007 that specifically addresses the current Syria situation, and he's trying to get us mired down in that one, too.

    the dude is much better than McCain or Romney, if only because he does seem to care about those who are struggling economically and also because he's ending the perpetual wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, when he breaks a promise, there's absolutely no reason to defend him. The administration might be more transparent than Bush, but when you're taking steps to hide the visitor logs, that's not transparency.

  8. #8
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    The President hasn't released his nuclear launch codes to the public! So much for transparency. Thanks, Obama.
    FLASHBACK: Obama Promised To End 'Secret Meetings' And Make The White House The 'People's House' | ThinkProgress

  9. #9
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,972

    Re: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    Quote Originally Posted by Helix View Post
    It might be relative to a point, but it's still a broken promise.
    No, in and of itself, it's not. Being "the most transparent" is not the same thing as "being completely transparent".

    The patriot act and NSA bull**** is, too. There's also a candidate Obama quote from 2007 that specifically addresses the current Syria situation, and he's trying to get us mired down in that one, too.
    All unrelated to transparency. And I disagree strongly he's "trying to get us mired down" in Syria. I think his avoidance of getting us mired in Syria is the only reason we haven't gone in yet.

    the dude is much better than McCain or Romney, if only because he does seem to care about those who are struggling economically and also because he's ending the perpetual wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. However, when he breaks a promise, there's absolutely no reason to defend him.
    What promise has he broken here though?

    Maybe he hasn't been as transparent as many of us HOPED he'd be, but that doesn't mean a promise has necessarily been broken. You'd have to compare his public release of documents to previous Presidents to determine that.

    The administration might be more transparent than Bush, but when you're taking steps to hide the visitor logs, that's not transparency.
    But it could be the MOST transparent, and that was the talking point.

  10. #10
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,078

    Re: Appeals court says White House visitor logs can be kept from public

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    No, in and of itself, it's not. Being "the most transparent" is not the same thing as "being completely transparent".

    All unrelated to transparency. And I disagree strongly he's "trying to get us mired down" in Syria. I think his avoidance of getting us mired in Syria is the only reason we haven't gone in yet.

    What promise has he broken here though?

    Maybe he hasn't been as transparent as many of us HOPED he'd be, but that doesn't mean a promise has necessarily been broken. You'd have to compare his public release of documents to previous Presidents to determine that.

    But it could be the MOST transparent, and that was the talking point.
    if going through congress is his way of getting out of it, then maybe you're right. We shouldn't have drawn the line in the sand; SA should have. They've been less than useless as the regional hegemon, and we've been doing their job pro bono for decades.

    The administration has been somewhat more transparent than the previous one, but is that enough, and does it fulfill the promise? In my opinion, no.

    I'll give Obama props where it's due, but he has been a big disappointment in other areas like civil liberties. As I said, much better than McCain, but I can't and won't defend not making the visitor list public. Neither should you. When you find yourself on a team, you end up making excuses, and I'll never do that again. I don't have a team; I have a nation, and I strongly disagree with some of our priorities. I think our primary focus should be domestic nation building.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •