Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    11,691

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    See, that's what we knew all along. The president will do what's in the best interest of the United States. Not whats in the best interest of the Syrian civilians who largely support their government. Also "US Interests" do not equate with your and my interests.
    As Syria does not pose any imminent threat to U.S. interests in the Mideast or U.S. allies there (and it won't, because that would be suicidal for a regime already struggling to hold onto power), it's difficult to envision the national interests that would be served by a military operation. Some peripheral interests might be served, but certainly not critical or vital ones.

    What appears to be at stake is Presidential prestige on account of the President's having drawn a "red line," quite foolisly IMO as it was not anchored on critical U.S. interests, which sort of locked him into his current dilemma. Failure to attack, would risk creating perceptions of weakness. An attack would protect Presidential prestige but would probably not serve any overriding American interests given the information that is currently available. It could worsen already deteriorating relations with Russia and Russia could take stances that make it more difficult for the U.S. to pursue its goals e.g., a diplomatic resolution concerning Iran's nuclear activities. An attack might serve some modest humanitarian purpose, but only if strong evidence (beyond the circumstantial evidence currently available, which the British Parliament did not find sufficient) justified launching the strikes against the Assad government.

  2. #12
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    I agree with that Don.

  3. #13
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,294

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    Quote Originally Posted by donsutherland1 View Post
    As Syria does not pose any imminent threat to U.S. interests in the Mideast or U.S. allies there (and it won't, because that would be suicidal for a regime already struggling to hold onto power), it's difficult to envision the national interests that would be served by a military operation. Some peripheral interests might be served, but certainly not critical or vital ones.

    What appears to be at stake is Presidential prestige on account of the President's having drawn a "red line," quite foolisly IMO as it was not anchored on critical U.S. interests, which sort of locked him into his current dilemma. Failure to attack, would risk creating perceptions of weakness. An attack would protect Presidential prestige but would probably not serve any overriding American interests given the information that is currently available. It could worsen already deteriorating relations with Russia and Russia could take stances that make it more difficult for the U.S. to pursue its goals e.g., a diplomatic resolution concerning Iran's nuclear activities. An attack might serve some modest humanitarian purpose, but only if strong evidence (beyond the circumstantial evidence currently available, which the British Parliament did not find sufficient) justified launching the strikes against the Assad government.
    The circumstantial evidence that I've been able to find would justify launching a strike on the rebels. I do notice that no USA press prints any of the evidence that the rebels used chemical weapons. Too many CIA assets and not enough reporters, in my opinion. I even see the AP saying the Assad regime used gas in December and the UNO report of Del Ponte indicts the rebels for that action. Funny a large news organization like Associated Press can't find the news, eh?

  4. #14
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,433

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    Obama isn't going to do anything. The regime is already calling an engagement a, "shot across the bow".

    If any steel goes down range, it will only be a few units, doing minimal damage, so Obama can feel like a man again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    The circumstantial evidence that I've been able to find would justify launching a strike on the rebels. I do notice that no USA press prints any of the evidence that the rebels used chemical weapons. Too many CIA assets and not enough reporters, in my opinion. I even see the AP saying the Assad regime used gas in December and the UNO report of Del Ponte indicts the rebels for that action. Funny a large news organization like Associated Press can't find the news, eh?

    What are you doing Dave, thinking outside the box?! Good post. I LOVE the first line, because its true of course, and if everybody would stop it with the Rah Rah America like this is a football game and really think about lives, maybe we could avoid this mess. Anyway only 9% of Americans support military action in Syria, they must all be on this board!!
    Last edited by Montecresto; 08-30-13 at 12:40 AM.

  6. #16
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Just as long as congress votes to fund this nonsense....

    Of course Obama will circumvent that process......
    See: "Wars Power Resolution"


  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    See: "Wars Power Resolution"
    See: "The United States Bill of Rights/Constitution doesn't mesh with authoritarian/totalitarian socialist ideas."

  8. #18
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    See: "The United States Bill of Rights/Constitution doesn't mesh with authoritarian/totalitarian socialist ideas."
    Give me a break and loose the lame uneducated talking points.


  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Give me a break and loose the lame uneducated talking points.
    Lame?

    I think we both have different "ideas" as to the United States Constitution.... I see it as a power that limits government and you see it as a power that empowers government...

    The only reason why you believe your **** is because you just "take the word" of people you "agree with" while I study and embrace...

    In your mind the "constitution" can be anything you want it to be -- not what it is not the line or precedent the document sets...

    No I'm not giving you a break...

    When you're wrong - you're wrong.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,044

    Re: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more: Obama ready to move on Syria without allies - The Hill's Global Affairs

    Looks like unfortunately the UK's vote didnt change things. Looks like we are going in alone. [/FONT][/COLOR]

    imperialism has no limit ,no shame

    l heard this story when they decided to overthrow saddam by accusing him of using chemical weapons

    where were they when saddam killed those seperatist kurds ?



    why did they wait too long ?

    not their national interest,their imperial interest

    9/ 11 attacks ,haha


    because it was saddam who attacked americans


    jonior implied he was inspired by god to start a crusade against the muslims


    and he already admitted they couldnt find anything in iraq


    invalid........
    Last edited by Medusa; 08-30-13 at 04:56 AM.
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •