Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 61

Thread: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

  1. #51
    King of Videos
    dirtpoorchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    WA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,023

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Good it make speople more accountable and might deter online bullyig and trolling.
    Ive often been called a troll just cause I am weird or like to think out of the box.
    I'm Finding it Harder to be a Gentleman, White Stripes ~ "You think I care about me and only me. When every girl needs help climbing up a tree."

  2. #52
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Seen
    11-20-17 @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    346

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    This is a good example of how people avoid the main topic by focusing on semantics.
    There was no deviating from the topic. You devoted a full paragraph to the sub-topic, then feel disillusioned when others make comment on that specific section.

    In reply to another poster, you made the comment:
    “I don't know what else you want me to call him.”
    Why did you think it necessary to mention him in the context which you mentioned?
    You began the paragraph thus:
    “It's definitely not for me. I do not, never will, need or want my ex husband to find me online and harass me like he did in the past.”
    Should have been cut off at that point avoiding any comments on the latter part. By making it part of the OP , therefore by extension, becomes part of the topic.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    And there is no right in this world to be allowed to say those things anonymously either. If you don't want YouTube to have your name, don't give it to them. If you want to say mean things on YouTube, then put your real name beside it.
    Youtube can feel free to go do that. It will kill their membership. You can also bet the real reason for it is so it is easier for things like the MPAA and RIAA to track users and it has nothing to do with trolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    But the fact it's not a law is a HUGE difference. I would not agree with a law which forces people to be nice. I would not even agree with a law requiring people use their real names on the Internet. But we're not talking about a law (as you acknowledged) we're talking about YouTube.
    It is an unwise move on their point. An unpopular law has force behind it. An unpopular rule has no force behind it and as people move away so will popularity because youtube users are all about the views. They need to recognize the trolls and the popular live in a symbiotic social relationship. Without the controversy their stuff simply will not be popular. They need trolls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Which whiny little brats? The ones complaining they can no longer troll anonymously?
    No, the whiny little turds who cannot get that someone saying something bad about you on the internet is not the end of the world. Seriously, do you think it is really healthy to hold the opinions of some jerkoff you will never meet in such high regard that it drastically effects your happiness and causes you to think of offing yourself? That is a psychological disorder, and you are not helping the person by pretending that sort of thing is normal. They need some help to stop taking BS so seriously before they kill themselves because there is far worse than some troll on the internet you will have to deal with in your life. The day trolls become the biggest problem in the world will be a great day for this planet.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    So...psychologically bad means we should be okay with children killing themselves? I'm not sure if I can go along with your position on this one.
    No, it means for those kids who are so dysfunctional that they would kill themselves over some words on a screen from a person who should effect their life in absolutely no way whatsoever we need to get some help and not pretend it is the problem of the trolls. That is being way too oversensitive. That is a major breakdown of self perception and self esteem, and the troll did not cause that. You can insult me all day long and call me any name you want, and simply it comes down to you do not like me. That is perfectly fine with me because I know not everyone is going to like me, and no matter what you do some people are going to hate you. Because you and i will most likely never meet your opinion does not effect me in any way. Perhaps some little bit of dissapointment or self evaluation might go on whether or not i am living as i want to, but certainly nothing that would cause me to just shoot myself. That is messed up, and those people need help. Covering up the trolls will not solve the problem because that sort of person will just blow up some other issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Then don't put it on there.

    You seem to be wanting your cake and to eat it too. You want other people to suck it up (you know, the people who might kill themselves) but you don't want to suck it up because your job might find out you are a Bronie (I assume you are male? Everyone on the Internet is until proven otherwise). Ignoring for a moment the fact I would see this as a legal issue for YouTube more than anything else, it seems as if you want to hold people to a higher standard than you want to hold yourself to.
    The reality is i cannot suck it up for my boss. if someone on the internet is bothering me i can suck it up and find a better part of life to live. I cannot make my boss do that. So yes the burden falls on the pussy in this case. The reality is when youtube does this there are a couple of scenarios that may happen. the first is they require everyone to put their real name there to hold people accountable. This will kill youtube and something else will pop up in it's place. It will be twice as bad because they will get people for piracy also and no one will be left there. Youtube knows this and i would be amazed if they risked it for some wussies. The second scenario is youtube will do some half assed attempt to put real names out there without a requirement. This will be unsecure and it will be exploited by the greifer trolls so you are only going to end uyp exposing the real names of the wussies in this case while allowing the trolls to remain anonymous. The final situation is they leave it how it is with people using fake names. here the wussies can grow a backbone or just set up a new identity if they cannot deal with the old one. The trolls exist but for the most part cannot get the users identity without the user being stupid. This allows the wussy a pretty good level of protection from abuse hitting their real life, and youtube continues to do business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Think of how many more people might be alive, or suffering from less psychological trauma if they were being bullied and harassed anonymously online.
    This is part of the world. get used to it. You cannot get rid of it. It is neccessary for you to feel rightious that you have an evil to fight against. People like you exist because people like I do, and vice versa. Without us netkops are nothing. Some people win, some people lose, sometimes you will be on both sides of that. The harder you fight, the harder they will fight. If you do not fight the other side will run you over. That is reality, and that is the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    We'll just have to disagree on this point. I find it hard to believe (as in it could never happen) that my employer would fire me for my political views and if my employer did, I probably wouldn't want to work for that person anyways. But even if I do accept that premise, I dare say being unemployed is a far better result than a child killing his or herself. But, then again, I have a real soft spot for children.
    The losing of the job is not the problem. It is the attack on who you are as a person and the prejudice and problems you face over BS. Now I can deal with that. Since you are allowing the bullies at a job to exist and playing pretend they are not there. yes, you are playing pretend they are not there. if you do not believe me go in tomorrow and tell them you are gay or transgendered. You will find out very quick who the bullies at work are. Now what you are saying is that you are going to send this thin skinned little whiner into the world and hide the reality that mean people exist, and they are going to get into a job and be forced to work around one of these people who is going to actually be present in their face, and effect their livelihood. You are telling me that I am wrong for telling that person to buck up and find some way to deal with the reality that you will face bullies in your life and you need to appreciate and be strong in yourself and not take their opinions to heart because they do not care for you. Then you are going to send that defenseless person out with the **** on the streets? We do have something in common, we are both sadists.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    I was thinking of leaving YouTube when they started forcing me to watch 30-second commercial breaks. I know they have to advertise for their sponsors, but they've really ramped it up.

  5. #55
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Youtube can feel free to go do that. It will kill their membership. You can also bet the real reason for it is so it is easier for things like the MPAA and RIAA to track users and it has nothing to do with trolling.
    It won't kill their membership. And I disagree completely, I think it has much more to do with legal covering of asses. ESPN has done it. Huffington Post announced they will be doing it. More and more big companies will do it, companies who have nothing to do with the MPAA or RIAA.

    It is an unwise move on their point. An unpopular law has force behind it. An unpopular rule has no force behind it and as people move away so will popularity because youtube users are all about the views. They need to recognize the trolls and the popular live in a symbiotic social relationship. Without the controversy their stuff simply will not be popular. They need trolls.
    No, YouTube doesn't need trolls. That's simply false.

    No, the whiny little turds who cannot get that someone saying something bad about you on the internet is not the end of the world. Seriously, do you think it is really healthy to hold the opinions of some jerkoff you will never meet in such high regard that it drastically effects your happiness and causes you to think of offing yourself? That is a psychological disorder, and you are not helping the person by pretending that sort of thing is normal. They need some help to stop taking BS so seriously before they kill themselves because there is far worse than some troll on the internet you will have to deal with in your life. The day trolls become the biggest problem in the world will be a great day for this planet.
    No, it's not healthy. But it's still a fact that people do. You're telling me you're okay with people being harrassed and bullied to the point of suicidal contemplations just so you can post about My Little Pony anonymously?

    No, it means for those kids who are so dysfunctional that they would kill themselves over some words on a screen from a person who should effect their life in absolutely no way whatsoever we need to get some help and not pretend it is the problem of the trolls. That is being way too oversensitive. That is a major breakdown of self perception and self esteem, and the troll did not cause that.
    The troll is not "causing" it, but rather contributing to it.

    You can insult me all day long and call me any name you want, and simply it comes down to you do not like me.
    But we're not talking about you. That's the point. We're talking about others, children even. I agree with your premise children should be stronger and should have been mental toughness, but many of them simply don't. It seems incredibly calloused to me to simply say, "Well, you should have been stronger, then you wouldn't have died".

    The reality is i cannot suck it up for my boss.
    But you can suck it up in other ways. Don't post on YouTube. Don't post about My Little Pony. Find another website to do so.

    If you're as tough as you're leading me to believe, I would not think putting your name besides your words would be that big of a problem. Either you would or you wouldn't, and if you wouldn't on YouTube, you may some place else. It's awfully convenient for you to tell others to suck it up when you seem unwilling to do so yourself.

    if someone on the internet is bothering me i can suck it up and find a better part of life to live.
    But you're not sucking it up. YouTube is bothering you and you're complaining about it here. And you're complaining because YouTube is instituting policies which are likely being done for legal reasons, but also for reasons why may save a child's life. I'm sorry, I just do not have much sympathy for someone who wants others to suck it up and then complains because they are not getting their way.

    The reality is when youtube does this there are a couple of scenarios that may happen. the first is they require everyone to put their real name there to hold people accountable. This will kill youtube and something else will pop up in it's place.
    No more so than a lawsuit alleging YouTube allowed harassment to take place.

    It will be twice as bad because they will get people for piracy also and no one will be left there.
    ....I'm supposed to feel bad for people who can no longer break the law by pirating content?

    Youtube knows this and i would be amazed if they risked it for some wussies.
    Your cavalier attitude towards child suicide is rather disturbing to me.

    This is part of the world. get used to it.
    So is putting your name besides your words and actions. Get used to it.

    It is neccessary for you to feel rightious that you have an evil to fight against.
    What am I feeling "righteous" about? I'm simply saying there are many good reasons for YouTube to require real names. You're throwing a fit because your boss might find out you like a children's TV show which was originally intended for little girls.

    People like you exist because people like I do
    No. People like me exist because we believe in caring for people. People like me exist because we don't want to see a child, during the most confusing times of their lives, being bullied to the point where they feel so tormented by others they take their own life. People like me exist because we have a heart and we care.

    I don't know why you exist. It's none of my business why you exist. But if you exist simply to throw tantrums that you cannot anonymously discuss little girl's TV shows if it means saving a child's life, then I simply do not know what to say.

    Some people win, some people lose, sometimes you will be on both sides of that. The harder you fight, the harder they will fight. If you do not fight the other side will run you over. That is reality, and that is the internet.
    I guess it's necessary for you to feel righteous that you have an evil to fight against.

    The losing of the job is not the problem. It is the attack on who you are as a person and the prejudice and problems you face over BS
    Oh...so the attack on YOUR person is unacceptable. The attack on other people is a case of other people needing to quit being a wussy. Got it.

    Now I can deal with that.
    Not very well, it seems.

    Since you are allowing the bullies at a job to exist and playing pretend they are not there. yes, you are playing pretend they are not there. if you do not believe me go in tomorrow and tell them you are gay or transgendered.
    I'm not gay, everyone knows that. Going in and lying would not make me a good person. But we do have an openly gay man where I work. And he's been there for years.

    You will find out very quick who the bullies at work are.
    I'm an adult. Many of the people dealing with this are not.

    Now what you are saying is that you are going to send this thin skinned little whiner into the world and hide the reality that mean people exist, and they are going to get into a job and be forced to work around one of these people who is going to actually be present in their face, and effect their livelihood. You are telling me that I am wrong for telling that person to buck up and find some way to deal with the reality that you will face bullies in your life and you need to appreciate and be strong in yourself and not take their opinions to heart because they do not care for you. Then you are going to send that defenseless person out with the **** on the streets? We do have something in common, we are both sadists.
    No, I'm telling you your desire to discuss a little girl's TV show in anonymity should never trump a child's life. I don't mind you helping them understand the world can be mean. But for you to be okay with these children killing themselves just so you can post hurtful comments anonymously is something I could not and will not agree with.

    There are causes for concern with a real name policy. I totally agree with that. What I'm saying is there are also legitimate causes for concern with anonymity. And for you to be so careless of what happens to others is rather disturbing to me.

  6. #56
    Educator
    Slyhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    06-22-15 @ 03:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Good it make speople more accountable and might deter online bullyig and trolling.
    Would you say the same thing should prospective employers, who typically are richer than normal folks, decide to not hire Democrats. They'll check your Facebook to find out whether you are a liberal or not.
    Islam is an antiquated religion and needs to either modernize with the times or be completely eradicated.
    There are two types of Muslims, terrorists, and their enablers. They need to fix that if they want to be part of civilized society.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyhunter View Post
    Would you say the same thing should prospective employers, who typically are richer than normal folks, decide to not hire Democrats. They'll check your Facebook to find out whether you are a liberal or not.
    If an employer didn't want to employee me based on my political views then I would be glad not to work for such a company. Fortunately in the UK we don't take out political leans as seriously as you Americans do.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  8. #58
    Advisor Morrigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    10-13-14 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    351

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    If some kid (or anyone else for that matter) intends or attempts to kill themselves for any reason, they almost certainly require psychological treatment at an appropriate mental health facility. Committing suicide due to the anonymous comments of someone you do not and never will know is not a problem with trolls, but with the American mental health system.

    Speaking from experience, I have chronic depression but neither I nor others I know who have similar issues are negatively affected by random **** on the internet. Honestly I think it desensitized me, which in this case is a good thing. Insults, regardless of where they come from, hardly bother me at all.

    Point is, YT comments can only affect incredibly thin-skinned individuals or a tiny minority of those with (largely undiagnosed) mental health issues. For the former I would advise them not to read the comments, avoid places like 4chan, or just not use YouTube at all. For the latter I would advise them to get treatment, not read the comments on YT, avoid places like 4chan, or just not use YouTube at all.

    And now on to trolling itself. People troll for no other reason than because they know they will get a negative and often profanity-ridden, ill-tempered reaction from some of those reading their inflammatory content. These reactions are often seen as amusing by the troll and outside parties which encourages them to troll more. However, trolling is seen as an art by some; the ability to manipulate another's emotions to create a particular reaction and feeding off of and inflaming that reaction is not always easy. But this is rarely seen on YouTube, where many troll posts are simply bashing a well-known figure, insulting the content of the video in question or its creator, spewing a profanity-ridden tirade to do one of the above, or writing incoherent or nonsensical posts that serve to create general confusion.

    But there is a very easy way to deal with all forms of trolling and prevent it before it even starts.

    Don't Feed The Trolls.
    Sic semper evello mortem Tyrannis

  9. #59
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,361

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    If an employer didn't want to employee me based on my political views then I would be glad not to work for such a company. Fortunately in the UK we don't take out political leans as seriously as you Americans do.
    You paint with a broad brush by supposing that political attitudes such as you read on this forum are in any way typical of Americans.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,253

    Re: YouTube Wants Users' Real Names Displayed On Comments, Uploads

    Quote Originally Posted by fmw View Post
    You paint with a broad brush by supposing that political attitudes such as you read on this forum are in any way typical of Americans.
    lived in the US for 3 years and the partisan attitude displayed in this forum is pretty similar to the attitudes of a good majority of American (in my opinion). I normally avoided political conversations in the US because it more often than not ended in a heated argument.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •