Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 177

Thread: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

  1. #111
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Said somebody that can't post a single link that proves me wrong.
    I don't have to prove you wrong. I'm not even trying to prove you wrong.

    Your opinion is one of many I've read on the topic.

    Since you a.) are a simple drill monkey with no graduate level degree in geology or hydrology or anything else that would cause me to consider you an authority or subject matter expert, and b.) have a vested financial interest in seeing that this means of gas extraction continues, I don't even weigh your opinion all that very heavily.

    And don't get me wrong. It is not my intention to dispariage in any way your ability to dig a hole in the ground. In fact, if I ever need a hole dug 14,000 feet into the ground you'd be the first guy I'd see.

    But being good at digging a hole in the ground doesn't make you an expert or an authority on what happens within and outside of that hole once it's dug.

    And understand, I'm not even necessarially saying that you're wrong.

    I believe you are, given everything that I've read about how patently awful for the environment fracking is and all of the lawsuits (won, settled, and pending) against energy companies that practice fracking (especially as they relate to groundwater contamination), but I don't consider this topic closed and I maintain an open mind and accept that something may come along to sway my opinion in the opposite direction.

    But whatever that "something" is, it isn't going to be the anonymous opinion given on the Internet by a guy who is the fracking equivelent of a roughneck.

    So post up some scientific studies (not energy company or Tea Party think tank studies) that PROVE fracking is safe and I'll certainly consider them.

    But for you to sit there and insist that this **** is safe and I need to take your word for it?

    It's like a door greeter at Wal-Mart insisting that superstores and the importation of cheap junk from China have no effect on the decline of America's economy.

  2. #112
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No, what you say is true, methane does contaminate some of those wells naturally, and the act of fracking does open up some new channels for that contamination. However, it is not true that only methane is found after fracking has commenced. Other contaminents are present (common components of the fracking fluids). All this is made more difficult by the fact that companies hold the formulation of their fracking fluids as trade secrets and refuse to reveal. Took congress many tries to get a list of just one company's formulation.
    Its not a secret.

    What Chemicals Are Used | FracFocus Chemical Disclosure Registry
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #113
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yes, the different companies specific formulations are. Read you own link:

    The following is a list of the chemicals used most often
    This is not a complete list of every chemical used in all fracking formulas.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post

    This bill exempted fluids used in the natural gas extraction process of hydraulic fracturing (fracking) from protections under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, and CERCLA.[19] It created a loophole that exempts companies drilling for natural gas from disclosing the chemicals involved in fracking operations that would normally be required under federal clean water laws — see exemptions for hydraulic fracturing under United States federal law. The loophole is commonly known as the "Halliburton loophole" since former Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney was reportedly instrumental in its passage.[20] The proposed Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals Act would repeal these exemptions.

    Energy Policy Act of 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The 111th United States Congress adjourned on January 3, 2011, without taking any significant action on the FRAC Act. The FRAC Act was re-introduced in both houses of the 112th United States Congress. In the Senate, Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA) introduced S. 587 on March 15, 2011.[6] In the House, Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO) introduced H.R. 1084 on March 24, 2011.[7]
    As of March 2012 Congress had not yet passed either of The FRAC Act bills[8][9]

    Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  5. #115
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by soot View Post
    I don't have to prove you wrong. I'm not even trying to prove you wrong.

    Your opinion is one of many I've read on the topic.

    Since you a.) are a simple drill monkey with no graduate level degree in geology or hydrology or anything else that would cause me to consider you an authority or subject matter expert, and b.) have a vested financial interest in seeing that this means of gas extraction continues, I don't even weigh your opinion all that very heavily.

    And don't get me wrong. It is not my intention to dispariage in any way your ability to dig a hole in the ground. In fact, if I ever need a hole dug 14,000 feet into the ground you'd be the first guy I'd see.

    But being good at digging a hole in the ground doesn't make you an expert or an authority on what happens within and outside of that hole once it's dug.

    And understand, I'm not even necessarially saying that you're wrong.

    I believe you are, given everything that I've read about how patently awful for the environment fracking is and all of the lawsuits (won, settled, and pending) against energy companies that practice fracking (especially as they relate to groundwater contamination), but I don't consider this topic closed and I maintain an open mind and accept that something may come along to sway my opinion in the opposite direction.

    But whatever that "something" is, it isn't going to be the anonymous opinion given on the Internet by a guy who is the fracking equivelent of a roughneck.

    So post up some scientific studies (not energy company or Tea Party think tank studies) that PROVE fracking is safe and I'll certainly consider them.

    But for you to sit there and insist that this **** is safe and I need to take your word for it?

    It's like a door greeter at Wal-Mart insisting that superstores and the importation of cheap junk from China have no effect on the decline of America's economy.
    This drill monkey has a PhD in drilling. That's why I hold drilling licenses in two states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  6. #116
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    This drill monkey has a PhD in drilling. That's why I hold drilling licenses in two states.
    Always knew you were a smart cookie. Do the folks at home call you Doctor Drill?

  7. #117
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This bill exempted fluids used in the natural gas extraction process of hydraulic fracturing (fracking) from protections under the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, and CERCLA.[19] It created a loophole that exempts companies drilling for natural gas from disclosing the chemicals involved in fracking operations that would normally be required under federal clean water laws — see exemptions for hydraulic fracturing under United States federal law. The loophole is commonly known as the "Halliburton loophole" since former Halliburton CEO Dick Cheney was reportedly instrumental in its passage.[20] The proposed Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals Act would repeal these exemptions.

    Energy Policy Act of 2005 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    The 111th United States Congress adjourned on January 3, 2011, without taking any significant action on the FRAC Act. The FRAC Act was re-introduced in both houses of the 112th United States Congress. In the Senate, Sen. Bob Casey (D-PA) introduced S. 587 on March 15, 2011.[6] In the House, Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO) introduced H.R. 1084 on March 24, 2011.[7]
    As of March 2012 Congress had not yet passed either of The FRAC Act bills[8][9]

    Fracturing Responsibility and Awareness of Chemicals Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    By law, any reportable material introduced into a water well, or oil well, has to be documented. It's one of the things that has to be entered into a drillers log, that has to be submitted to the state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #118
    Guru
    soot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    04-25-17 @ 03:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,308

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    This drill monkey has a PhD in drilling. That's why I hold drilling licenses in two states.
    That works.

    Post up some papers you've written that actually prove what you're saying.

    Or, if you don't write papers, post up some papers by folks in the field who do.

    I maintain that your grasp of WWII history is deplorable, but if you're an expert in this field and can substantiate your claims, as I've said I'll maintain an open mind.

    And I appologize for patronizing you.

  9. #119
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    By law, any reportable material introduced into a water well, or oil well, has to be documented. It's one of the things that has to be entered into a drillers log, that has to be submitted to the state.
    We are not talking about water or oil wells, we are talking about gas wells. The Halliburton Loophole for gas well fracking still exists., "Dr. Apdst".
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #120
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    Re: 'Gaslandí Director Confronted on NPR Show

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    "Gosh darn Professors telling me that casements leak....what does he know......he is just a Professor....humph!"

    http://www.sustainablefuture.cornell...-EtAl-2011.pdf


    Those who can, do. Those who can!t, teach.

    ODNR FS 92-16 How to Read Well Log and Drilling Reports
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •