Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 279

Thread: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic [W:212]

  1. #261
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    No, I only said it was possible. Maybe it would be better to worry about your critical thinking skills than "turning gay?"
    Possible how??

    In addition to wearing heels once, I also wore my wife's panties once (on a military jump) (lost a bet). Am I at risk??

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I need to worry about it! You say people can turn gay by certain behaviors and I don't wanna turn gay, those people are demonized and discriminated against!

    Please, help me to not become a social pariah!

    Once, when I was a kid, my mother made me stretch out her new heels so I'm worried that I'm already on the way. Save me!
    You're gay now?

  3. #263
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    You're gay now?
    I might be turning gay! Taylor said that certain behaviors can cause it. I wore heels once and panties once, and I'm concerned that I'm well on the way. But he will not tell me exactly what behaviors can cause it. And so, I fear that I will be unable to avoid other things that will ultimately result in me being demonized and discriminated against.

    But he doesn't care about me. He refuses to help me avoid turning gay.

    It's a cold world.

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    I might be turning gay! Taylor said that certain behaviors can cause it. I wore heels once and panties once, and I'm concerned that I'm well on the way. But he will not tell me exactly what behaviors can cause it. And so, I fear that I will be unable to avoid other things that will ultimately result in me being demonized and discriminated against.

    But he doesn't care about me. He refuses to help me avoid turning gay.

    It's a cold world.
    Maybe I can help? If not, there are always other alternatives.

  5. #265
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Possible how??

    In addition to wearing heels once, I also wore my wife's panties once (on a military jump) (lost a bet). Am I at risk??
    That question has been answered and explained. If you don't understand it, you either don't want to understand it or are incapable of understanding it. Either way, I can't really help you, sorry.

  6. #266
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    That question has been answered and explained.
    You have not answered or explained what behaviors can turn someone gay. Is it ok if I re-arrange the furniture?

  7. #267
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    You have not answered or explained what behaviors can turn someone gay. Is it ok if I re-arrange the furniture?
    As I answered and explained earlier, it's irrelevant to the point that was made.

  8. #268
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    As I answered and explained earlier, it's irrelevant to the point that was made.
    The point is not made unless you can support it with some kind of detail.

    I cut my own hair and sometimes my friends'. I use clippers though, not scissors. Should I worry about that?

  9. #269
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,491

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Not at all... I'm just saying that the "people don't choose to be gay" argument tells us almost nothing with respect to nature/nurture. We most certainly cannot conclude that people were born gay simply because they didn't choose to be gay, as is often implied.

    I should also point out that immutable characteristics can also be behavioral in origin. There are many examples of "critical periods" in development where behavior at a particular stage will irreversibly affect you for the remainder of your life.
    Nature/Nurture is complicated...and leaves science without some answers...so far. But when people want to state that they are rightfully able to claim that sexual orientation...other than heterosexuality.... is a choice, which gives them reason enough to support their bigotry. Well, its arrogant, along with ignorant to say, "Just because I made it up doesn't mean its not true.

    I think there's enough scientific information that provides us with preponderance of evidence, which will ultimately side with sexual orientation being primarily prenatal development. which is indeed immutable. An I did use the term "environmental sexual orientation", which isn't a developmental devise. In other words, isn't formed within the state of prenatal development...at all.

    I don't pretend to have all the answers, but for people who are hell bent on believing sexual orientation is like a handy behavioral switch that's simply been tripped by choice..and that it is completely out of the loop of natural prenatal development (other than heterosexuality)...hmmmmm...welp, that takes us to a lot of people who live in quite a moral conundrum inside their own heads.

    People who are bigots...don't really need an excuse to be one...or even be willing to accept hardcore evidence, which would refute their wrongful beliefs. You and I both know it wouldn't make them believe differently. Perhaps being a bigot is an immutable characteristic as well??

    Life goes on, Taylor. Regardless of whether or not sexual orientation is immutable or a choice. It's not grounds for bigotry.

  10. #270
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Identical Twin Studies Prove Homosexuality is Not Genetic

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Nature/Nurture is complicated...and leaves science without some answers...so far. But when people want to state that they are rightfully able to claim that sexual orientation...other than heterosexuality.... is a choice, which gives them reason enough to support their bigotry. Well, its arrogant, along with ignorant to say, "Just because I made it up doesn't mean its not true.

    I think there's enough scientific information that provides us with preponderance of evidence, which will ultimately side with sexual orientation being primarily prenatal development. which is indeed immutable. An I did use the term "environmental sexual orientation", which isn't a developmental devise. In other words, isn't formed within the state of prenatal development...at all.
    Yes, I understood what you said. I wasn't trying to correct/contradict, I was just pointing out that even if the cause were entirely behavioral, that doesn't necessarily mean that you could reverse things later on.

    I suppose I disagree with the present state of the science (and for all we know there may be multiple mechanisms) - but we'll get there. Until that time, I believe it important to leave all options on the table, whether or not it's politically corr., because, that's what good science demands.

    I understand your point on bigotry... that sort of thing really bothers me when directed at individuals, but not so much when directed at groups - mostly because there's a lot of it that goes around on both sides. Anywhere, really, where one group feels threatened by another.

    Sorry to be terse - reading this back it doesn't have the tone that I'd like it to have, unfortunately (and with much frustration) 'm having to respond via cell phone.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •