Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

  1. #31
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,296

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Even the most pro-welfare liberal realizes that for Third World economies to prosper, they need to have capitalism done right (not the crony capitalism that currently exists in a lot of those places) - else all the foreign aid and welfare you're sending in is wasted and ends up in the hands of the wrong people. It has more to do with proper governance than anything else.
    I think you are giving pro-welfare liberals more credit than they deserve here. The fondness for such types for centrally directed projects and aid is pretty... well, enormous.


    Consider, for example, the effect of the same argument made here, as it applies to domestic policy.

  2. #32
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    01-05-18 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,296

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    What drivel. Capitalism would only "help" the poor if they could then in turn use those poor to make more of a profit by putting them to work in their slave wage factories and stores.
    Yeah. How many Indians and Chinese have been pulled out of poverty in the last couple of decades, again? The greatest reduction in human privation in our species history, as I do recall.

    Free Trade is good for all of us, and those of us who are most vulnerable are hurt most of all by it's hindrance.

  3. #33
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,748
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Even the most pro-welfare liberal realizes that for Third World economies to prosper, they need to have capitalism done right (not the crony capitalism that currently exists in a lot of those places) - else all the foreign aid and welfare you're sending in is wasted and ends up in the hands of the wrong people. It has more to do with proper governance than anything else.
    Well, this is certainly news to me. I was under the impression that socialism was supposed to be the salvation of those people. What happened to that?

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  4. #34
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,748
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by instagramsci View Post
    Bono has no idea what he's talking about.
    I've often said the same.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  5. #35
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,748
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    See, exactly. If it ain't black and white, you can't cope.
    More evasion on your part.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  6. #36
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,524

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    More evasion on your part.
    I'm not evading anything. If anything I'm confused because the Cons are evading all over the place.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    I'm always amused when rightwingers hear a liberal tell them what liberals think, and they ignore it and believe what Rush Limbaugh told them liberals think. It's always hilarious.



    Examining the truth is what leads to understanding gray area's. Knee-jerk populism is what leads to overlooking them and assuming that the first emotionally charged reaction must be perfectly true.



    Luckily, there aren't any zebra herds around here, so I can continue to develop my understanding of the world around me in relative safety.
    An insufficiency of understanding, and inadequate modeling of reality lead to gray areas. This is per force, since the whole concept of a "gray area" is that one's model, philosophy or theorem has failed to account for observed facts.

    Further, most people who have diee in zebra stampedes probably thought that they were living in relative safety, until black and white issues overtook them.
    Last edited by Oftencold; 08-14-13 at 05:42 PM.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  8. #38
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    An insufficiency of understanding, and inadequate modeling of reality lead to gray areas. This is per force, since the whole concept of a "gray area" is that one's model, philosophy or theorem has failed to account for observed facts.
    No, it's the observation of the multitude of facts that leads to understanding the gray areas. Failing to see half the facts leaves one both ignorant and, at the same time, certain of his own rightness. Most of these people are unable to even accept that there are facts they have not yet learnt, because it would undermine their simplistic, childish model, philosophy or theorem of reality. Ignoring all of the facts except the ones that support ones simplistic world view is what leads to black-and-white thinking.

    In other words, it's infantile thinking.

    Some good reading:

    Splitting (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Black and White Thinking (Splitting) Is Both a Borderline and Narcissistic Trait | Psychology Today
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

  9. #39
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    No, it's the observation of the multitude of facts that leads to understanding the gray areas. Failing to see half the facts leaves one both ignorant and, at the same time, certain of his own rightness. Most of these people are unable to even accept that there are facts they have not yet learnt, because it would undermine their simplistic, childish model, philosophy or theorem of reality. Ignoring all of the facts except the ones that support ones simplistic world view is what leads to black-and-white thinking.

    In other words, it's infantile thinking.

    Some good reading:

    Splitting (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Black and White Thinking (Splitting) Is Both a Borderline and Narcissistic Trait | Psychology Today
    One of the first thing my psychology prof explained to our class was that psychology was a basically silliness, that no matter how well excepted current "theory" in psychology, it will be a rejected model in a few years.

    But again, and I'll try to use smaller words, what do you suppose a "gray area" is, other than a set of observations which your existing model can't properly process?
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  10. #40
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Bono: “Capitalism takes more people out of poverty than aid”

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    One of the first thing my psychology prof explained to our class was that psychology was a basically silliness, that no matter how well excepted current "theory" in psychology, it will be a rejected model in a few years.
    I knew you were going to dismiss it out of hand. Do you want to know how I could see into the future so well? I'll show you . . .

    Quote Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
    Failing to see half the facts leaves one both ignorant and, at the same time, certain of his own rightness. Most of these people are unable to even accept that there are facts they have not yet learnt, because it would undermine their simplistic, childish model, philosophy or theorem of reality. Ignoring all of the facts except the ones that support ones simplistic world view is what leads to black-and-white thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    But again, and I'll try to use smaller words, what do you suppose a "gray area" is, other than a set of observations which your existing model can't properly process?
    Because the world is too complex to fit into a single "world view" in such a way that the immeasurable amount of information available is unneeded. To try to fit the whole world into something so simplistic is childish. Reality is too full of unknowns to wrap up so easily. However, if trying to actually learn and think and comprehend and process is too difficult, it's much easier to just ignore everything outside of a simple, easily consumed set of preconceptions and ignore everything that doesn't fit.

    That's where black and white thinking comes from. It's not from having a worldview that's so vast that it includes everything. It's from having such a simple understanding of the world around oneself that one thinks he can fit the whole thing into a neatly wrapped package. In order to maintain that simple concept of the world, most information has to be dismissed. That's why people with black and white thinking are always so thick, and have such simplistic understandings of the world. It's also why they're only versed in one side of multifaceted arguments. Anything that doesn't fit into their model is dismissed.
    "All that stuff I was taught about evolution, embryology, Big Bang theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of hell [the bible] teaches us how to run all our public policy and everything in society." Rep. Paul Broun (R)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •