Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 66 of 66

Thread: Romney re-enters GOP fray

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Romney re-enters GOP fray

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I expect the 2016 race to be run by two people whose names have not been mentioned on this thread. Who they are, I don't know, and I doubt anyone else does either at this point.
    History bears this out. Still the GOP has become so weird, so ingrown, I'm pretty sure that one of the Harpies in Chief of the tea party will get the nomination -- Palin, Bachmann, Santorum, or some equally tested freak.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: Romney re-enters GOP fray

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    Not only would it be a mistake for him to run again, it would be a massive mistake for the GOP to even consider allowing him to do so. Mitt lost in 2012 at least in part because the Conservative/Tea Party sector of the party told the GOP that they are no longer interested in Democrat-Lite candidates, just as we had done with their candidate, Mr. McCain in 2008. If the GOP cannot get it through their heads at this point that a large portion of their voting block is NOT going to support another Moderate/Centrist/Democrat-Lite candidate then their party deserves to lose all credibility and capability to win an election.
    Actually I think the data shows the tea party weirdos pretty much voted for Romney to a man. It was normal Americans who rejected Romney for catering to the tea party's freakish ideological fetishes. And since the tea party now runs the GOP through the rightwing noise machine, that will happen again in 2016. Though the GOP will probably cut out the middle man and just nominate a subliterate weirdo like Palin who won't have to pretend to be stupid. They'll be the real deal: a tea party subliterate.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Romney re-enters GOP fray

    Quote Originally Posted by head of joaquin View Post
    History bears this out. Still the GOP has become so weird, so ingrown, I'm pretty sure that one of the Harpies in Chief of the tea party will get the nomination -- Palin, Bachmann, Santorum, or some equally tested freak.
    Not even Romney was able to prevail against a weak Democratic president. Any of the above would pretty much assure a Democrat victory, unless, of course, that party were to choose someone equally weak.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  4. #64
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Romney re-enters GOP fray

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    Not even Romney was able to prevail against a weak Democratic president. Any of the above would pretty much assure a Democrat victory, unless, of course, that party were to choose someone equally weak.
    You should note that Clinton couldn't beat Obama either - when the media is against you, it's hard to overcome.

    It's why I think Jeb Bush will be the nominee for the Republicans and the next President - he's a decent, well spoken, level headed person with an even temperment and it will be impossible to paint him as extreme and, if Clinton is the Democrat nominee, on a stage with her, he will be the one who looks presidential, not her.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #65
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: Romney re-enters GOP fray

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You should note that Clinton couldn't beat Obama either - when the media is against you, it's hard to overcome.

    It's why I think Jeb Bush will be the nominee for the Republicans and the next President - he's a decent, well spoken, level headed person with an even temperment and it will be impossible to paint him as extreme and, if Clinton is the Democrat nominee, on a stage with her, he will be the one who looks presidential, not her.
    Romney was the only decent, well spoken, level headed person with an even temperament running on the Republican side last time. He couldn't beat Obama. Maybe Jeb Bush will, who knows?

    Maybe the electorate isn't looking for someone who is all of those things, and the Republicans will nominate someone like Herman Cain or Michelle Bachmann. If that happens it's up to the Democrats to nominate someone we can get behind.

    Right now, anything can happen.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #66
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,266

    Re: Romney re-enters GOP fray

    Romney voiced some opinions. He's not running for anything ever again. Speculation over 2016 before the mid-terms is purely guessing - the future remains unclear despite claims of prescience.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •