Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 70

Thread: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

  1. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Considering there has been next to no charged, let alone any trials.. then they are all innocent according to basic law.

    Plus just because they were Taliban, does not mean they were terrorists. I dislike the Taliban massively, but attacking an attacker in your own country is not terror.. it is fighting an aggressive occupation force. Shipping these people off to an island 10s of thousands of KM away from their homeland they are trying to defend... is immoral and illegal.
    That's a pretty far out claim to say that the Taliban weren't terrorists. Each and every one of them needs killin'. They're terrible people. Look at how they took over Afghanistan. How they treat women. The terrorist attacks in Pakistan.

    I get that my country hasn't necessarily handled the WOT as awesomely as it potentially could have, I do. And yes, terrorism is subjective.

  2. #12
    Student
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    10-09-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    290

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Chances are they are "radicalized" even more with direct hate against the US because of their unlawful detention in GITMO for a decade. Most people who were taken to GITMO were innocent of any links or crimes to terror.
    At this point we're fighting terrorists radicalized by the presence of GITMO. There will never be a so-called "victory" until GITMO is closed --- either by releasing the detainees or waiting for the last one to die.

  3. #13
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by uncleray View Post
    At this point we're fighting terrorists radicalized by the presence of GITMO. There will never be a so-called "victory" until GITMO is closed --- either by releasing the detainees or waiting for the last one to die.
    Definitive victory in the war against jihadi-terrorism is still several decades away, at best.

  4. #14
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by joG View Post
    I don't think a trail would console me much. If I were guilty, it would; trail or no trail.

    If I thought of the US as an enemy, I would gripe in any case.

    But could I really be angry, if I had been picked up in Pakistan with a gun? I knew that the forensics would not save me on that type of crime scene. I knew, the security forces in the area might pick me up. I knew that if they did I should pray hard, that they sent me to Gitmo and did not put me into one of the local jails.

    But what do the States do? Is “Take no Prisoners” the way to go with terrorists?
    Not all of the detainees were insurgents nabbed in afghanistan, but were random people nabbed because our government believed they were guilty of something. Either way, EVERYBODY deserves a trial, it is a basic human right. Hitler deserved a trial, and would have gotten one had he not killed himself. It clearly would have been insanely easy to prove his guilt, just like it should be insanely easy to prove the guilt of an actual terrorist.

    They avoid trials because they don't really have any evidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #15
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Not all of the detainees were insurgents nabbed in afghanistan, but were random people nabbed because our government believed they were guilty of something. Either way, EVERYBODY deserves a trial, it is a basic human right. Hitler deserved a trial, and would have gotten one had he not killed himself. It clearly would have been insanely easy to prove his guilt, just like it should be insanely easy to prove the guilt of an actual terrorist.

    They avoid trials because they don't really have any evidence.
    I'm sorry, but you are wrong on two counts.

    1) Nobody in Guantánamo was picked up "at random"; this is simply ridiculous.

    2) People who are held as combattants (legal or illegal) in a war are not brought to trial. During and after WWII the Allies held millions of combattants for sometimes many years without trial.

  6. #16
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Chances are they are "radicalized" even more with direct hate against the US because of their unlawful detention in GITMO for a decade. Most people who were taken to GITMO were innocent of any links or crimes to terror.
    It's odd to me that people think you can imprison people, who may be innocent of any crime, and not radicalize them. If they become embittered by the experience, it must be because they were radicals to begin with. It's not a logical thought process.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #17
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,971
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Slice View Post
    I try to pull stories from neutral sources but this is still true.
    US releases prisoners from Guantanamo - Israel News, Ynetnews
    How do you know it's true?
    Last I looked, this was the only source for this. There're other stories, but they all reference this story.
    If this was done, it was likely illegal. If Obama had done something illegal, I expect that there would be some people in Congress who would like for me to know about it. Yet, there has been no noise from Congress.

    So, how do you know it is true?
    I may be wrong.

  8. #18
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    I'm sorry, but you are wrong on two counts.

    1) Nobody in Guantánamo was picked up "at random"; this is simply ridiculous.

    2) People who are held as combattants (legal or illegal) in a war are not brought to trial. During and after WWII the Allies held millions of combattants for sometimes many years without trial.
    1) I said THEY were random, not that they were randomly chosen, as in they were unimportant or unassociated, but that's semantics. If there's damning evidence, then produce it. And how do you know what they were picked up for when that's top secret?

    2) This isn't a war. We've never declared war on afghanistan or really even on terrorism. This is just military action. They allegedly will be all released at the end of the "hostilities", which considering they're fighting terrorism, that time will never come. Comparing this to an actual war is ridiculous. We never treated the Germans like this.

    But by all means, tell me more about how random government officials should have the power to lock people in cages indefinitely without having to produce any shred of evidence whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  9. #19
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    09-30-13 @ 04:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    698

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    1) I said THEY were random, not that they were randomly chosen, as in they were unimportant or unassociated, but that's semantics. If there's damning evidence, then produce it. And how do you know what they were picked up for when that's top secret?

    2) This isn't a war. We've never declared war on afghanistan or really even on terrorism. This is just military action. They allegedly will be all released at the end of the "hostilities", which considering they're fighting terrorism, that time will never come.

    But by all means, tell me more about how random government officials should have the power to lock people in cages indefinitely without having to produce any shred of evidence whatsoever.
    So I guess you would prefer the US to simply shoot all captured enemy combattants in Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan, etc.?

  10. #20
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: US releases prisoners from Guantanamo

    Quote Originally Posted by Artevelde View Post
    So I guess you would prefer the US to simply shoot all captured enemy combattants in Afghanistan, Yemen, Somalia, Pakistan, etc.?
    No, I would prefer that they be detained and put on trial within a somewhat reasonable amount of time. Whisking off random, yes, random, people to a secret prison in the carribean with absolutely zero regard as to whether or not they're guilty is just insane.

    So you're not going to explain why you don't care if they're guilty or not?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •