Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 62

Thread: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstitutional

  1. #41
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    (I'd say you suffer a bit of the don't notice people I agree with doing stuff- will hunt to try and make any disagreement seem the equal to the wild eyed rants done in here, in front of cameras, at TP/GOP political rallies, and national GOP presidential primaries. the TP/GOP has elevated 'activist' rants to a high and ugly artform)

    No sir, try and make the two sides equal on this all you want... but that dog just won't hunt.
    Then show me.
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    but its fine to tell women what they can do with their wombs. Odd country.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    but its fine to tell women what they can do with their wombs. Odd country.
    Odd comparison and even odder since Roe v. Wade still stands.

    Still, I would love to know how a ban on certain size drinks where someone is just enjoying a drink of their own choosing has anything to with abortion that involves two parties where the one party takes part in an action that ends the life of the other party. Feel free to share how your logic works.

  4. #44
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    I noted that Mayor Doubtfire said he was going to appeal the decision to the state's highest appeals court. Hopefully, he's going to fully refund the city for the hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars he's wasting on both the inplimentation of this nonsense and the idiotic vanity appeals he's ordering.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #45
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And the city is appealing the decision. They should be ashamed of themselves wasting taxpayer money on such foolishness.
    Oh, but you're looking at it the wrong way. They're not wasting money. They're "investing" resources in the hopes they'll get a favorable verdict, then once that hurdle is cleared, just think of all the further legislation they'll pass to improve our lives.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Odd comparison and even odder since Roe v. Wade still stands.

    Still, I would love to know how a ban on certain size drinks where someone is just enjoying a drink of their own choosing has anything to with abortion that involves two parties where the one party takes part in an action that ends the life of the other party. Feel free to share how your logic works.

    its more the fact American conservatives are up in arms about this but have no problem with the government trying to step in and ban abortions etc seems they hate big government and protect peoples rights when it suits them . I also dont see how banning large soft drinks is any different from making a person wear a seatbelt, helmet etc. Seems like a big distraction to me!
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #47
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    its more the fact American conservatives are up in arms about this but have no problem with the government trying to step in and ban abortions etc seems they hate big government and protect peoples rights when it suits them . I also dont see how banning large soft drinks is any different from making a person wear a seatbelt, helmet etc. Seems like a big distraction to me!
    To me, abortion is a distraction. I almost think it is intentionally a distraction, and that way too many people fall for it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    its more the fact American conservatives are up in arms about this but have no problem with the government trying to step in and ban abortions etc seems they hate big government and protect peoples rights when it suits them. I also dont see how banning large soft drinks is any different from making a person wear a seatbelt, helmet etc. Seems like a big distraction to me!
    Laws against homicide are not big government. They're simply a way for the state to hold people accountable for killing others. Seat belt laws and helmet laws is the government compelling behavior in citizens to make them behave in a certain way for their own safety. The government banning a certain product from the market is the government attempting to eliminate a choice the people can take part in. The motivations behind all of these examples of laws are different.

  9. #49
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Laws against homicide are not big government. They're simply a way for the state to hold people accountable for killing others. Seat belt laws and helmet laws is the government compelling behavior in citizens to make them behave in a certain way for their own safety. The government banning a certain product from the market is the government attempting to eliminate a choice the people can take part in. The motivations behind all of these examples of laws are different.
    so you dont think that the government making you wear a seatbelt in your own car and banning fatty potentially dangerous products are essentially the same thing?
    Last edited by Higgins86; 07-31-13 at 05:21 PM.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  10. #50
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Appeals judges say NYC's ban on big, sugary drinks at restaurants is unconstituti

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    so you dont think that the government making you wear a seatbelt in your own car and banning fatty potentially dangerous products are essentially the same thing?
    No. Seat belt requirements don't restrict you from driving a high-powered sports car. You still have the right to drive said sports car as much as you want, even though it's probably more dangerous than a plain Honda Accord.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •