Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 94

Thread: Building homes that make more power than they take

  1. #71
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I could give a rats ass if some idiot is satisfied with his/her solar panels - that still doesn't change the fact that the energy gained doesn't offset the energy lost by manufacturing and maintenance. If idiot wants to install a solar panel and say: "look Todd free energy" sobeit... Besides if solar energy was actually viable it would be the norm... However presently only trendy idiots and those who need to pander to trendy idiots are using the technology.
    You give no facts, just unsubstantiated opinion... you claim the panels fail 90% of the time in 10 years, cite no source for your claim, perhaps it comes from the same rat's butt you mentioned before?

    Test after test, available online for your consideration, shows they can last 40 years with a bit of care and most makers of the panels warranty them for 25!

    tests show panels can lose approx 5% efficiency the first year but on average after 10 it is 1% a year loss.

    You sound like an old fart I know- "If man was meant to fly he'd have wings!"

    "Those damn fancy pants city slickers with their hustle and bustle- just how fast does a man need to go?"

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    You give no facts, just unsubstantiated opinion... you claim the panels fail 90% of the time in 10 years, cite no source for your claim, perhaps it comes from the same rat's butt you mentioned before?

    Test after test, available online for your consideration, shows they can last 40 years with a bit of care and most makers of the panels warranty them for 25!

    tests show panels can lose approx 5% efficiency the first year but on average after 10 it is 1% a year loss.

    You sound like an old fart I know- "If man was meant to fly he'd have wings!"

    "Those damn fancy pants city slickers with their hustle and bustle- just how fast does a man need to go?"
    The simple fact solar panels aren't the status quo is my proof.....

    If you were right we would presently live in a solar power haven -- but we don't now why is that? a conspiracy against the "environment."

  3. #73
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,069

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Building homes that make more power than they take











    If you had the money, would you buy a smaller house that's built to be as "energy independent" as the ones described above, or would you opt for a bigger "conventional" house like the ones most of us have grown up in?




    I would definitely go with smaller and energy independent.


    I love the sound of what's described in the article.
    house in the pic looks big enough to me. i especially like the thick concrete walls. that would be much safer in a tornado.

  4. #74
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The simple fact solar panels aren't the status quo is my proof..... If you were right we would presently live in a solar power haven -- but we don't now why is that? a conspiracy against the "environment."
    More opinion with ZERO fact to back it. Your unfounded claims of 90% fail in 10 years is ca-ca. The fact that not everyone has a solar array is more due to resistance in our culture than practicality. Remember how Carter was castigated for putting solar panels on the White House and Reagan made a big macho deal of removing them? Arnold was driving his Hummer and smoking those tobacco penises belittling 'girlie-men'.

    Advances are reducing the cost, increasing the reliability, and efficiency. some who don't sit on the sidelines making up stuff are starting to see the advantages to solar- every new invention doesn't start with instant widespread acceptance. It has taken far too long but the false bravado of burn baby burn when it comes to how we make energy is finally being rolled back.

    Several unrelated to solar factors work against widespread use- not every house has either the yard or the roof orientation to use the panels, not every climate is as sun friendly as others- FYI I see more and more solar panels in Lawton OK everytime i go to town, and many are reluctant to be the first on their block.

    You still sound like the old fart-
    Cars are just rich man toys
    Planes will never turn a profit
    Wind is free why would a ship's captain pay for coal?

    Americans are said to have a love affair with the automobile, yet it was not an overnite sensation. In 1920 there was one car for every 10 Americans, it took to 1975 to cut that in half, to 2000 to almost get to one per person, and there weren't a bunch of politicians pushing back on car ownership like for renewable energy.

    But by all means sit there and claim solar power isn't taking off, that 90% of the panels fail in 10 years and be blinded to the fact that ALL sources of power take energy to produce- that coal don't dig itself....

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    More opinion with ZERO fact to back it. Your unfounded claims of 90% fail in 10 years is ca-ca. The fact that not everyone has a solar array is more due to resistance in our culture than practicality. Remember how Carter was castigated for putting solar panels on the White House and Reagan made a big macho deal of removing them? Arnold was driving his Hummer and smoking those tobacco penises belittling 'girlie-men'.

    Advances are reducing the cost, increasing the reliability, and efficiency. some who don't sit on the sidelines making up stuff are starting to see the advantages to solar- every new invention doesn't start with instant widespread acceptance. It has taken far too long but the false bravado of burn baby burn when it comes to how we make energy is finally being rolled back.

    Several unrelated to solar factors work against widespread use- not every house has either the yard or the roof orientation to use the panels, not every climate is as sun friendly as others- FYI I see more and more solar panels in Lawton OK everytime i go to town, and many are reluctant to be the first on their block.

    You still sound like the old fart-
    Cars are just rich man toys
    Planes will never turn a profit
    Wind is free why would a ship's captain pay for coal?

    Americans are said to have a love affair with the automobile, yet it was not an overnite sensation. In 1920 there was one car for every 10 Americans, it took to 1975 to cut that in half, to 2000 to almost get to one per person, and there weren't a bunch of politicians pushing back on car ownership like for renewable energy.

    But by all means sit there and claim solar power isn't taking off, that 90% of the panels fail in 10 years and be blinded to the fact that ALL sources of power take energy to produce- that coal don't dig itself....
    You're attempting to cite "cultural resistance" as the main reason as to why society as a whole doesn't embrace solar energy? yet everyone and their momma are driving "green cars" these days while shopping with "green bags?"

    "Green" is its own industry.

    Solar panels are NOT energy viable - their cost doesn't justify their means. That's why they're not being used as a main source of energy.

    Average Lifespan of Solar Panels

    Yea a "good quality" solar panel that is "well maintained" "could last" around 40 years.

    Yeah and a "good quality" car that is "well maintained" "could last" indefinitely... But we all know cars generally last 10 years until they're no longer worth the money to repair...

  6. #76
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,506

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Solar technology is still very much in its infancy stage. The people and corporations buying into it are part of the very much needed real world technology development stage. The data and information that comes back form the current consumers will help to develop better technology for tomorrow.

    I'm seeing more and more solar panels all the time.

    Look at the University Of Delaware's Field House:




    That's one feces load of solar panels on a curved roof. Huge building.

    But I also see more private residence homes with panels as well.

    I'm not sure why there's such "angry" attitude towards solar.

    It's far from a perfect alternative, but it sure has massive potential.

  7. #77
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    The part they electric companies leave out of their propaganda is the simple fact that peak solar output almost always coincides with peak demand.

    Meaning solar systems HELP the grid by simply existing. So acting like they're "freeloading" is BS.
    Actually, peak demand usually occurs after peak solar output, hence the massive investment in R&D for energy storage.

    Also, with the current push towards grid dependent transportation, grid capacity, conductor size (wire), etc., will all have to be improved, and increased.

    All this requires money, which will be obtained one way or the other.

  8. #78
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    You're attempting to cite "cultural resistance" as the main reason as to why society as a whole doesn't embrace solar energy? yet everyone and their momma are driving "green cars" these days while shopping with "green bags?" "Green" is its own industry. Solar panels are NOT energy viable - their cost doesn't justify their means. That's why they're not being used as a main source of energy.Average Lifespan of Solar Panels Yea a "good quality" solar panel that is "well maintained" "could last" around 40 years. Yeah and a "good quality" car that is "well maintained" "could last" indefinitely... But we all know cars generally last 10 years until they're no longer worth the money to repair...
    Again you dodge the facts- solar power has had a road block since Reagan made it look un-american. Funny I hear green cars are not catching on when it suits the curmudgeons- you seem to use baseless statements as 'fact'- give some numbers! I don't see many green bags in Walmart- where do you shop where you see 'everybody' using green bags.

    You tend to make crap up.

    Green isn't it's own industry anymore than gas powered vehicles are their own industry compared to horse drawn wagons- they are both transports, it took gas power a bit to first replace and then become widespread- yet you would have sat there in 1925 and said the automobile will never catch on!

    What we know about cars is they have a warranty out to the expected lifespan. So if a solar panel has a 25 year warranty that tells me your BS about 90% fail in 10 years is just that, ill informed BS.

  9. #79
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,271

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    A libertartian who doesn't believe in the market system...

    Odd you make your claims with no stats to back it up, it is just as easy to say many folks are more than happy with their PV panel arrays and quite a few love their wind generators.

    Those that gain the rep for dependability and efficiency gain market share according to the worshipers of the 'invisible hand'. not all automobile companies survived Henry Ford's advances. yes they take energy to produce but so does oil, gas and coal. Coal doesn't dig itself and hop into the furnace!

    Solar panels are a pandora's box of opportunities.
    The market systems hasn't been giving itself tax dollars, and funding poorly planned startup companies....and setting ridiculous mandates. No the government system does that. And there in lies the problem. Take a Solyndra pill and call me in the morning.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Building homes that make more power than they take

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    The market systems hasn't been giving itself tax dollars, and funding poorly planned startup companies....and setting ridiculous mandates. No the government system does that. And there in lies the problem. Take a Solyndra pill and call me in the morning.
    that is like saying the last 15 minutes of your life are all that count. fact is there has been many promises made since Nixon to work on weaning us off oil and absolutely no movement. If you look at any new venture, take autos for instance, there have been many failures but overall an advance in technology. The USofA government has subsidized a few failures throughout history. Some have had fits and starts- some were purely military that spun-off. For every military program that creates the interwebz there are a dozen failures like jet packs and frizbee grenades.

    By granting tax breaks the government is doing the same thing it does for homeownership- that a few mortgage companies turned it into a ponzi scheme doesn't negate the overall concept.

    One has only to look at the space program to see how abysmal the start was until finally we landed a man on the moon.

    Take a much longer look back into our history and then call me in the morning.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •