Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 640 of 678

Thread: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

  1. #631
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    You claim you don't have a problem with individuals praying however, apparently you draw the line with collective praying - as if there is a difference.

    I think you just have a problem with Christianity.
    I dont have a problem with a group of people praying. I have a problem when its part of official business of the sate. And no i dont, i dont have a problem with Christianity at all, being a Lutheran.


  2. #632
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Still waiting to see why there is such a big deal about a 2 minute period.

    You can't even try to PRETEND this isn't about "Hatred for Christianity".

    Thats all this is.
    That's exactly what this is about.

    These authoritarians hate Christianity. We both know they wouldn't have an opinion if this was about non-Christians praying.

  3. #633
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    This isnt about hatred of anyone. This is about separating religion from the state. And im a christian as well but im not gonna endorse official state business to praying.
    You have to consider the community this is being done in.

    In rural southern communities who are comprised of 98% Christians, I see no problem with the local council doing something like this.

    The only reason this went somewhere is because the ACLU trolled the meetings to collect data for a lawsuit on behalf of nobody.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #634
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    I dont have a problem with a group of people praying. I have a problem when its part of official business of the sate. And no i dont, i dont have a problem with Christianity at all, being a Lutheran.
    Praying is protected under the First Amendment therefore your opinion is moot, not to mention tyrannical.

    People can pray whenever they want.

  5. #635
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    This isnt about hatred of anyone. This is about separating religion from the state. And im a christian as well but im not gonna endorse official state business to praying.
    The First Amendment bans legislating religion.

    There is no "separation of church and state." Hell, when Jefferson used the term in his letters he was referencing theocracies, as if any of that matters considering Jefferson's letters are not founding documents.

  6. #636
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    You have to consider the community this is being done in.

    In rural southern communities who are comprised of 98% Christians, I see no problem with the local council doing something like this.
    Cool that still does not change the fact the they need to uphold the legal documents of this country.


    The only reason this went somewhere is because the ACLU trolled the meetings to collect data for a lawsuit on behalf of nobody.
    Ill say they did this on behalf of me being a member of the ACLU


  7. #637
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Praying is protected under the First Amendment therefore your opinion is moot, not to mention tyrannical.

    People can pray whenever they want.
    Of course people can pray whenever they want they cant however pray as legislative bsiness.


  8. #638
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Cool that still does not change the fact the they need to uphold the legal documents of this country.



    Ill say they did this on behalf of me being a member of the ACLU
    How many times does one have to say to you that "separation of church and state" doesn't exist for you to accept that fact?

    I'm pretty sure a 10-year-old has the capacity to understand the First Amendment, why don't you?

  9. #639
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Of course people can pray whenever they want they cant however pray as legislative bsiness.
    That doesn't make any sense...

    You do realize that forbidding an individual from praying anytime anywhere would violate the First Amendment?

  10. #640
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    How many times does one have to say to you that "separation of church and state" doesn't exist for you to accept that fact?

    I'm pretty sure a 10-year-old has the capacity to understand the First Amendment, why don't you?
    Yes there is. "In the words of Thomas Jefferson, the clause against establishment of religion by law was intended to erect a wall of separation between church and state."-Justice Hugo Black


Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •