Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast
Results 621 to 630 of 678

Thread: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

  1. #621
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Did everything literally go in one ear and out the other for the last 10 posts? We as a country cannot endorse a religion, saying a prayer on the officially legislative record is enterprising a religion.. That is against the 1st amendment..
    Individuals praying is not "We as a Country". Not EVERYTHING an elected official does is an endorsement.

    I see now you have moved on to using the word "enterprising". It is NOTHING that you say. It is simply saying a damned prayer. You are stretching desperately to find a way to claim that the individuals (they do not lose their individuality when elected) on the council are somehow enforcing a "official" county religion by simply praying together before a meeting. This is simply not the case no matter how many different adjectives you use.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  2. #622
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Individuals praying is not "We as a Country". Not EVERYTHING an elected official does is an endorsement.
    When its on the record of the official legislative documents it is..


    I see now you have moved on to using the word "enterprising". It is NOTHING that you say. It is simply saying a damned prayer. You are stretching desperately to find a way to claim that the individuals (they do not lose their individuality when elected) on the council are somehow enforcing a "official" county religion by simply praying together before a meeting. This is simply not the case no matter how many different adjectives you use.
    Its not single individuals. I have no problem with someone praying on their own. Your missing this part: saying a prayer on the officially legislative record is endorsing a religion.. That is against the 1st amendment..


  3. #623
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    When its on the record of the official legislative documents it is..



    Its not single individuals. I have no problem with someone praying on their own. Your missing this part: saying a prayer on the officially legislative record is endorsing a religion.. That is against the 1st amendment..
    But you fail to show how it is endorsing a religion.

    Besides...... The 1st amendment says congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion.

    *Yawn* Try harder.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #624
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    But you fail to show how it is endorsing a religion.
    Because its saying a prayer as official business of the congress and calling to a sects diety... How is that not endorsing a religion?


    Besides...... The 1st amendment says congress shall make no law respecting the establishment of religion.

    *Yawn* Try harder.
    Yea... Exactly my point. This is making a not establishing any religion...


  5. #625
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Because its saying a prayer as official business of the congress and calling to a sects diety... How is that not endorsing a religion?
    They are still individuals, and are allowed to have their individual beliefs. And they are not required to not speak of their individual beliefs. You are comparing the "audience" of this council too much to an "audience" of learning elementary school children. I would agree that it would be wrong to pray with them..... as they are young and impressionable and they are there to learn. The "audience" of a county council, however, is mature (or should be.. ****ing crybabies) enough to recognize that individuals have varying beliefs, and that because this council happens to be praying to the god of Hey-Zeus! that is it not an indication that it is the "official religion" of the local government, specifically because they have not voted upon such a thing. To vote upon such a thing would be a violation of the 1st amendment.






    Yea... Exactly my point. This is making a not establishing any religion...
    Whut? You lost me
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #626
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    They are still individuals, and are allowed to have their individual beliefs.
    Uhh yes they can. They can pray all they want in private in small groups just cant be on official legislative business.


  7. #627
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,923

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    What's your point? Just because something may be traditional, doesn't mean it is right.
    My point is that our earliest representatives didn't see prayer opening a meeting as a violation of church and state.

  8. #628
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Uhh yes they can. They can pray all they want in private in small groups just cant be on official legislative business.
    Still waiting to see why there is such a big deal about a 2 minute period.

    You can't even try to PRETEND this isn't about "Hatred for Christianity".

    Thats all this is.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #629
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    When its on the record of the official legislative documents it is..



    Its not single individuals. I have no problem with someone praying on their own. Your missing this part: saying a prayer on the officially legislative record is endorsing a religion.. That is against the 1st amendment..
    You claim you don't have a problem with individuals praying however, apparently you draw the line with collective praying - as if there is a difference.

    I think you just have a problem with Christianity.

  10. #630
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Still waiting to see why there is such a big deal about a 2 minute period.

    You can't even try to PRETEND this isn't about "Hatred for Christianity".

    Thats all this is.
    This isnt about hatred of anyone. This is about separating religion from the state. And im a christian as well but im not gonna endorse official state business to praying.


Page 63 of 68 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •