Page 45 of 68 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 678

Thread: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

  1. #441
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    No where in my post did I state what God wanted or thinks.

    And why keep it out of the council and legislative chambers? Because others might be offended? Pfft. No one has a right to not be offended.
    Nobody has said anything about it being because it's offensive, but for some reason you've attacked this straw man three times now.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  2. #442
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    There is a right to not have the government push someone's else's religion on you.
    Via laws correct. But there is no right to stop a politician from speaking about God, allah or any other diety or conducting prayers at any time they wish in a setting where people are not forced to be there to hear it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  3. #443
    Guru
    Verthaine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    09-08-16 @ 02:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,044

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Horrible arguement. Politicians are not paid an hourly rate. They are payed via a salary.
    Maybe that's the problem with politics.Maybe they should be paid for the hours they work.
    Just a thought.
    Maybe the problem of flooding on the Fremont Rd underpass might get solved if they got paid to actually do their jobs..

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Which means that if you want to claim that you are paying them to "pray" when they pray at a council meeting then you also have to admit that you are praying when they are not at any offical function but instead in their own church. You are also paying them to sleep at night. You are paying them to take a dump or piss. You are paying them eat at a restaurant with their spouses and children with no official function. And many many many other things.
    Along with term limits,maybe politicians should be paid for the actual work they do.
    Again,just a thought.
    I really don't care what a politician does in their free time.
    As long as that giant pothole near the Scarsdale Country Club gets fixed.
    Which it isn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post

    So if we went by your arguement then you have a so called "right" to force that politician to not ever pray, not ever go to a personal church, not ever donate to a religious charity group etc etc.

    Just because taxpayers pay a politicians salary does not give the taxpayers a right to dictate to them how to live their lives or what to say in public or at functions. Being a politician does not strip you of any Rights at any time or place.
    You are of course correct.By your argument I should have no right to complain when they aren't doing their jobs like fixing the roads,since no matter what they do or don't do,they are still getting paid for it.

  4. #444
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,206

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Why? Because people might find it offensive? Sorry but there is no right to not be offended.
    Sure...for the most part there isn't. Generally people want to minimize offensiveness to others in work situations....or formal public events...like a commissioners meeting. Which brings me to my previous point. Why is there such a need to pray in front of others. If one person finds it offensive...maybe pray in your office before the meeting? Maybe pray silently to your self? Besides the court officially not allowing the praying in this case that's usually just how people should conduct themselves.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #445
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,223

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Have your prayer before the meeting, not during it. How hard is that? Or are you trying to offend those whom you believe have no right to be offended?
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  6. #446
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Nobody has said anything about it being because it's offensive, but for some reason you've attacked this straw man three times now.
    No they've just claimed a lie that politicians praying at the begining of a meeting is against the "seperation of church and state" clause. That seperation of church and state clause only had to do with laws being made. It had absolutely nothing to do with speaking or praying or anything else religious. People have corrupted it. Why have they done this? Because they find other religions to be offensive or religion in general offensive.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #447
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Yes, we know that conservatives are the most victimized group in history. Maybe if you practiced what you preached about getting over the victim complex....
    Those poor Libbos can't get a break. Right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #448
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    You have freedom of religion, you just don't have the freedom to push it on others. Try again.
    Saying a prayer is hardly pushing religion on others. Not to mention, that is not what the Constitution addresses anyway.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  9. #449
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,863
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Sure...for the most part there isn't. Generally people want to minimize offensiveness to others in work situations....or formal public events...like a commissioners meeting. Which brings me to my previous point. Why is there such a need to pray in front of others. If one person finds it offensive...maybe pray in your office before the meeting? Maybe pray silently to your self? Besides the court officially not allowing the praying in this case that's usually just how people should conduct themselves.
    I used to have a quote from Abe Lincoln in my sig...I think it applies here...

    "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time."
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  10. #450
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,488

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Nobody has said anything about it being because it's offensive, but for some reason you've attacked this straw man three times now.
    Manc Skipper said it in post 445
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 45 of 68 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •