Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 678

Thread: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

  1. #351
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Yes our government is secular, that doesn't mean individuals with civil liberties are forced to be secular - even if they are part of government...
    Who said they were? This is what? Strawman #626236? The situation is simple. You're more than free to engage in your religion as long as it doesn't seep its way into our government. Why is that so hard to understand?

    Using your flawed logic and ignorance of civil liberties only an atheist is legally qualified to run and obtain pubic office.
    Who said? You just can't use your government position to proselytize and give preference to one religion over another.

    The First Amendment bans religion from becoming LAW - the First Amendment also protects an individuals right to religious freedom.
    And that includes from religion.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #352
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Since when are civil liberties suspended because one happens to be speaking against the actions of politicians?

    from Tennessee
    Thats retarded.

    The man sitting quietly has just as much right to do so than the council does to pray.

    The other guy could have been creating disorder during the public speaking period or not following the rules....... I give them a break on that one.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #353
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    No one is making you say a prayer and no one is forcing you to be at a meeting - you're only there of your own free will....

    Get it?
    Government function, irrelevant whether I have to be there or not. Government is still giving preference to one religion over others.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #354
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,344

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Well then I suppose an individual is going to have to weigh what issue is more important to them. Being in the presence of prayer or arguing their boggle with the town board.

    I've never heard of an "official prayer." I don't think prayers can be "official."
    Works both ways. You have to decide whether you want to bring your case before a board opening with banging of a gavel and do your praying privately, or abandon your project.

    Official prayer is technically incorrect. I believe the term used was designated. I don't remember the title. But your point concerning official prayers, I agree. They should not be official.

  5. #355
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Or in other words, if I don't like christian prayers at a public meeting that might affect my life, I shouldn't bother to show up and voice my opposition. Is that what you are saying? Because it sure reads that way

    Certainly looks like you would prefer that atheists, pagans and other non-christians not participate in public forums where laws and statutes are being discussed. Legal matters that could affect their lives. Nice way to get rid of your political opponents. Not quite what I think of as "Libertarian" philosophy
    You don't have a right to not deal with things you don't like.

    Either suffer through something you don't like or don't show up. The world isn't ****ing Burger King... you can't always have it your way.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #356
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Government entities opening and closing meetings with prayers is.
    No.. its not.

    Care to elaborate?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Who said they were? This is what? Strawman #626236? The situation is simple. You're more than free to engage in your religion as long as it doesn't seep its way into our government. Why is that so hard to understand?
    The Bill of Rights says otherwise - do you not understand what "or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" ****ing means? are you stupid or do you just like to argue?



    Who said? You just can't use your government position to proselytize and give preference to one religion over another.
    The First Amendment ONCE AGAIN says otherwise ..



    And that includes from religion.
    No it doesn't - your protection lays under the first sentence of the First Amendment which reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" that's where your "right not to be offended" ends......

    I love how you claim I'm making **** up but you're the one adding concepts and words to the First Amendment.

  8. #358
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    The prayer in question was at a government function and it was in regards to a specific religion. That is tantamount to government establishment of a religion.

    As a Libertarian, I would think you'd find the freedom not to have to pray to a particular god to be pretty important.
    As a libertarian... I would think you'd recognize that nobody is being FORCED to pray.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #359
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    A government endorsing a religion would be establishing a state religion. Therefore it fails even your reading of the Constitution.
    I fail to see how saying a prayer is establishing a state religion.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  10. #360
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,056

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    The Bill of Rights says otherwise
    WHERE? PLEASE SHOW ME WHERE RELIGION HAS A RIGHT TO SEEP INTO GOVERNMENT? Please do. You're essentially now arguing that we do have a right to create a theocracy. Which is NOT what you think it is.

    The First Amendment ONCE AGAIN says otherwise ..

    No it doesn't - your protection lays under the first sentence of the First Amendment which reads "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" that's where your "right not to be offended" ends......
    Have you read the first amendment? Any court decisions on it? Please show me ONE standing ruling saying you have the right to proselytize at a government function. Just one?
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

Page 36 of 68 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •