Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 678

Thread: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

  1. #341
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Most people keep their sexuality at home. It's prudes who want to ban it even at home.
    I don't want to ban it - hell, I could care less if the announce it in the streets however, I don't go to their communities or events because I don't agree with their lifestyle.

    Furthermore some gays can be pretty belligerent about their sexuality for no reason whatsoever.

  2. #342
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    This is a state job which should not involve forced prayers before work. No one is interefering with someone's liberty to pray, they are just saying you do not have the power to force it on others. You are as libertarian as any fascist, and you are also lying.
    Showing yet again that you fail to understand anything.

    This is not a State Job.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  3. #343
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Saying a prayer prior to a county meeting isn't establishing a state religion.
    School prayer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    In two landmark decisions, Engel v. Vitale (1962) and Abington School District v. Schempp (1963), the US Supreme Court established what is now the current prohibition on state-sponsored prayer in schools. While the Engel decision held that the promulgation of an official state-school prayer stood in violation of the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause (thus overruling the New York Courts’ decisions), Abington held that Bible readings and other (state) school-sponsored religious activities were prohibited.[5] Following these two cases came the Court's decision in Lemon v. Kurtzman (1971), a ruling that established the Lemon test for religious activities within schools. The Lemon test states that in order to be constitutional under the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment any practice sponsored within state run schools (or other public, state sponsored activities) must adhere to the following three criteria:[6]

    ....

    While the Establishment Clause proscribes the state-sponsorship of religion, the Free Exercise Clause forbids state interference in individual religious exercise. Where a state entity moves to accommodate the right to individual religious expression under the latter clause, opponents of that "expression" may cite such accommodation as state "promotion" of one religious activity over another.[9]
    Darn SCOTUS!
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #344
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    There are limits as well to the first amendment. I don't think this should be a federal court case, but I do believe this should be a state case (if the state wants to pursue it) in which the state gets to decide if they should PAY people to pray on state time.

    This is being done as "official" state business, so if the state wants to pay people to pray on their dime, that is their choice. However, it is the state's choice on the matter and shouldn't be a federal issue IMO.
    The state isn't paying anyone here.......
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  5. #345
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    I don't want to ban it - hell, I could care less if the announce it in the streets however, I don't go to their communities or events because I don't agree with their lifestyle.

    Furthermore some gays can be pretty belligerent about their sexuality for no reason whatsoever.
    So then you made a strawman argument. Nobody is going to a county meeting and watching men make out or lesbians eating each other out. Nobody is having you watch gay demonstrations of sexuality at county meetings or otherwise. So why even bring it up? Oh, you have nothing else to argue.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  6. #346
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If you're not doing it in an official school function, no. You're not. If you're doing it an official function, yes, you are. You don't get paid to preach. You get paid to teach.
    That logic is ****ing retarded.


    You also don't get paid to take a ****. No bowel movements allowed at work!
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  7. #347
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Lol, our government is secular whether you like it or not. If it wasn't, it wouldn't have made it impossible to create a theocracy. Seriously, do you understand the inherent contradiction between saying the government can't give preference to one religion over another and then say the government isn't secular? Why make theocracies impossible if it's religious? Good will? Slip of the tongue?
    Yes our government is secular, that doesn't mean individuals with civil liberties are forced to be secular - even if they are part of government...

    Using your flawed logic and ignorance of civil liberties only an atheist is legally qualified to run and obtain pubic office.

    The First Amendment bans religion from becoming LAW - the First Amendment also protects an individuals right to religious freedom.

    It's really not that hard to understand.

  8. #348
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,019

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    That logic is ****ing retarded.

    You also don't get paid to take a ****. No bowel movements allowed at work!
    Actually, I'm practically my own boss. So, I get paid to do whatever I really want. Which is why I don't drive around harassing kids for smoking weed.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #349
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So then you made a strawman argument. Nobody is going to a county meeting and watching men make out or lesbians eating each other out. Nobody is having you watch gay demonstrations of sexuality at county meetings or otherwise. So why even bring it up? Oh, you have nothing else to argue.
    No one is making you say a prayer and no one is forcing you to be at a meeting - you're only there of your own free will....

    Get it?

  10. #350
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    This is a big deal because it is very rare in this country when a court comes down on the side of the US Constitution.

    Mostly, courts just rule in favor of the government.

    As a supporter of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, I'm very happy with this ruling.
    The court didn't come down on the side of the U.S. Constitution.

    In allowing the council to pray openly, what law is being made respecting the establishment of religion?

    If anything it is prohibiting the free exercise thereof.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 35 of 68 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •