Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 678

Thread: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If you're not doing it in an official school function, no. You're not. If you're doing it an official function, yes, you are. You don't get paid to preach. You get paid to teach.
    Since when are civil liberties suspended because one happens to be at a "school function?"

    Just as long as people aren't forced to pray under law then people can pray if they want.

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Since when are civil liberties voided because someone is being paid???
    Hey my religion requires I pray once every hour for 30 min, pay me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Since when can the state override civil liberties??
    Again, payment for prayer is not a right.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Using your logic the government has every right to raid employees homes, tap their phones, search their personal computers, hijack their homes, steal their guns, limit their speech, or pretty much lock them in a cell indefinitely without due process if they want to.. All because they work for the government.
    Yeah, because not paying someone to pray is the same as those. Try again, you're boring me.

    BTW, this doesn't apply to just state and federal but ALL jobs. No job is required to pay you for prayer.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If you're not doing it in an official school function, no. You're not. If you're doing it an official function, yes, you are. You don't get paid to preach. You get paid to teach.
    That is absolutely assine. If Josie and fellow teachers pray for their students they aren't endorsing anything outside of themselves. The students are not present, they are not involved, and they are completely unaware their teachers prayed for them. To even suggest they are affected is nonsense of the highest order.

    Are you guys seriously so scared of religion that you have to block teachers from praying amongst themselves?
    Last edited by Henrin; 07-25-13 at 10:40 AM.

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Hey my religion requires I pray once every hour for 30 min, pay me.



    Again, payment for prayer is not a right.



    Yeah, because not paying someone to pray is the same as those. Try again, you're boring me.

    BTW, this doesn't apply to just state and federal but ALL jobs. No job is required to pay you for prayer.
    Really??? so is taking 5 minutes at the water cooler a right? really? you should get back to work..

    Funny how no one gets pissed when Muslims pray (who pray 5 times a day I might add) yet they only get bent when Christians take 1 fricking minute for a prayer....

    Hell, I got to church and when we silently pray we don't pray for 5 minutes - we pray for 1 minute tops.

    Now, if you find prayer so repulsive than maybe we can dock employees who choose to pray 1 minute of pay per day...

    I find your argument petty, tyrannical and intolerant.

  5. #185
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,276

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Saying a prayer is not akin to endorsing a religion.

    Granted they shouldn't be mentioning a specific religion, I agree....

    I just fail to see how this is a big deal.
    This is a big deal because it is very rare in this country when a court comes down on the side of the US Constitution.

    Mostly, courts just rule in favor of the government.

    As a supporter of Americans United for Separation of Church and State, I'm very happy with this ruling.

  6. #186
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is absolutely assine. If Josie and fellow teachers pray for their students they aren't endorsing anything outside of themselves.

    The students are not present, they are not involved, and they are completely unaware their teachers prayed for them.

    Are you guys seriously so scared of religion that you have to block teachers from praying amongst themselves?
    If you knew how to comprehend what you read, you'd realize how asinine* your comment actually is. If they're praying at an official school function, they are officially endorsing a religion for the school. If they're not an official school function, no they're not.

    Teachers getting together and praying is not an official school function. You do know this right? If the school gets together for a rally and then the teachers initiate a prayer, they are at an official school function. You do know this right? Only idiots who didn't get past primary would not realize the difference between official school functions and people just getting together to pray.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 07-25-13 at 10:47 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #187
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,039

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    Since when are civil liberties suspended because one happens to be at a "school function?"
    Your civil liberties stop when mine begin. You don't have a right to spread your religion through a school function.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #188
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    If you knew how comprehend what you read, you'd realize how asinine* your comment actually is. If they're praying at an official school function, they are officially endorsing a religion for the school. If they're not an official school function, no they're not.
    Oh look, I misspelled something. The terror! I like how it didn't affect you at all on understanding me and yet you still felt it necessary to point out as if your point wasn't strong enough without it.

    Since she only mentioned her and fellow teachers praying that is what I dealt with and that is all I needed to deal with. As for where it takes place, again, that makes no difference at all. This idea that separation of church and state actually exists and that it exists to the point where people aren't even able to pray is taking everything way to damn far to the point of paranoia and stupidity. The state is there to permit liberty, not restrict it due to some stupid fear that prayer will happen around children and this is somehow bad.

  9. #189
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,809

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Since when are civil liberties suspended because one happens to be speaking against the actions of politicians?

    from Tennessee
    Two opposed to prayers at Hamilton County Commission meetings escorted out

    Two residents who publicly oppose opening prayers at Hamilton County Commission meetings were escorted out of Thursday's session.

    One of the men was sitting quietly in his seat when he was taken out of the commission room by a deputy sheriff.

    Aaron Moyer was speaking out about the prayers during the 10-minute public comment period when Chairman Larry Henry asked him to sit down.

    Moyer instead raised his voice and defied Henry's request, and the chairman called a deputy to return Moyer to his seat.

    The other man, Tommy Coleman, who filed a federal lawsuit last month against commissioners over the public prayers, was sitting quietly in the audience during the interaction, but was escorted out.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Your civil liberties stop when mine begin. You don't have a right to spread your religion through a school function.
    Your civil liberty to what? Not hear a prayer? If that is the case then I declare I have the civil liberty to not see ugly people.

Page 19 of 68 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •