Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 678

Thread: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, freedom to express is much different than imposing restrictions thereon...
    Well, what if the mumblings of monotheists become a lethal threat when they present the imminent threat of "Death By Boredom "?......................

  2. #122
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 04:17 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,032

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    By the way - anyone who wants to pray before the meeting is welcome to -they can pray silently to themselves at any point before the meeting starts; or they can go off premise and pray as a group on the sidewalk.

  3. #123
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
    Well, what if the mumblings of monotheists become a lethal threat when they present the imminent threat of "Death By Boredom "?......................
    You probably wouldn't have remained awake through the discussion...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #124
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    No, freedom to express is much different than imposing restrictions thereon...
    The freedom to express no religion is equally important.

  5. #125
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
    The freedom to express no religion is equally important.
    And one is free to do so, but not to require that anyone else do the same...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #126
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    And one is free to do so, but not to require that anyone else do the same...
    True however the issue at heart here and the point of the OP is the acknowledgment by a federal court that gov officials cannot and begin official sessions with prayer.

  7. #127
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
    True however the issue at heart here and the point of the OP is the acknowledgment by a federal court that gov officials cannot and begin official sessions with prayer.
    In case you can't tell, I have little respect for our federal court system as should you...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    You probably wouldn't have remained awake through the discussion...
    "Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep" would have had me snoring long before the discussion..................Quit ducking..................

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    re: Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings [W:656]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    Actually the whole point of this thread is a federal court said they AREN'T fine as a matter of law or constitutionality.

    yes, a federal judge isn't aware of precedent and/or ignored it.... it happens... more often than any of us would like.

    SCOTUS ruled opening prayers are constitutional, provided they are no materially supported ( as in paying for the chaplain to give the prayer).. that is just a simple fact.

  10. #130
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    Federal court halts Christian prayers at North Carolina county meetings

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrilla View Post
    yes, a federal judge isn't aware of precedent and/or ignored it.... it happens... more often than any of us would like.

    SCOTUS ruled opening prayers are constitutional, provided they are no materially supported ( as in paying for the chaplain to give the prayer).. that is just a simple fact.
    One could argue that the gov paying for the lights to be on during this prayer is material support...

Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •