Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 111

Thread: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

  1. #81
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Look buddy, I don't care if you buy the stupid magazine. Go ahead if that's what rocks your boat. I'm just here stating my opinion like everyone else. I think it's inappropriate. If you don't like that, too bad.
    Actually, this is somewhat a change in your position since you made it very clear from the beginning of your comments that no one should have access to this cover or this magazine because it glorifies the bomber and will turn him into a martyr and thus be dangerous. I appreciate you don't like the cover - fair enough.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  2. #82
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Free speech that attempts to take away the free speech of others is dangerous, in my view, and it is driven by the mob mentality swirling around social media.
    It does not take away free speech. Rolling Stone is still able to publish whatever they choose. However, free speech is not freedom from repercussions for that speech(except from the government). Just as Rolling Stone publishing the article and photo is an exercise in free speech, so is refusing to carry the magazine, and telling advertisers you will not buy from those who advertise in the magazine.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Free speech that attempts to take away the free speech of others is dangerous, in my view, and it is driven by the mob mentality swirling around social media.
    Nobody is taking away anyone's free speech. Businesses ALSO have the right of free speech and the right to associate or disassociate themselves with particular view points that their customer may or may not agree with. Sorry if you don't understand THAT aspect of freedom that coincides with freedom of speech. You are free to speak. I am free to refuse to listen.

  4. #84
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It does not take away free speech. Rolling Stone is still able to publish whatever they choose. However, free speech is not freedom from repercussions for that speech(except from the government). Just as Rolling Stone publishing the article and photo is an exercise in free speech, so is refusing to carry the magazine, and telling advertisers you will not buy from those who advertise in the magazine.
    You misunderstand - I have no objection to individuals exercising their free speech by not purchasing an item they find offensive - I do it myself.

    What I object to is the concerted efforts of a gang of social media jackals who start a twitter frenzie and all the mindless twitterites who jump on the bandwagon for no good reason other than they love to be part of a good beat-down. Even more, I object to spineless enterprises that weakly cave in to such tactics. It's the equivalent of yesteryear's lynch mob.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #85
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Free speech that attempts to take away the free speech of others is dangerous, in my view, and it is driven by the mob mentality swirling around social media.
    never mind, I am idiot
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #86
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,264
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    You misunderstand - I have no objection to individuals exercising their free speech by not purchasing an item they find offensive - I do it myself.

    What I object to is the concerted efforts of a gang of social media jackals who start a twitter frenzie and all the mindless twitterites who jump on the bandwagon for no good reason other than they love to be part of a good beat-down. Even more, I object to spineless enterprises that weakly cave in to such tactics. It's the equivalent of yesteryear's lynch mob.
    That is not taking away free speech. Until and unless some one says Rolling Stone cannot publish what they choose, there is no denial of free speech.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #87
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    I support people's right to boycott, even when I disagree with their boycott. I get why people are bothered by this, but I also think it's being way overblown.

    The description of the article explains the choice of pictures perfectly. He's not being turned into a rock star, people are simply making assumptions because he does look angelic and he does look like a normal kid. That is what he looks like, though. That's who he is. A seemingly "normal", innocent-looking teen who was capable of becoming a monster. What were they supposed to do, draw devil horns on him?
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #88
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    In your view - and you're perfectly entitled to it - what you're not entitled to, in my view, is to shout down and try to ban things you don't agree with.
    Hey im not saying they should be shut down but if stores and advertisers want to distance themselves from this particular monthly issue then they have a right to do that.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  9. #89
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,175

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Hey im not saying they should be shut down but if stores and advertisers want to distance themselves from this particular monthly issue then they have a right to do that.
    True enough - but are they distancing themselves from the issue because they disagree with it, or because they are being threatened with loss of business if they sell it or advertise in it. Again, I believe mob rule is dangerous.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #90
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,238

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    True enough - but are they distancing themselves from the issue because they disagree with it, or because they are being threatened with loss of business if they sell it or advertise in it. Again, I believe mob rule is dangerous.
    Yeh I agree with that in parts, even though I disagree with the cover I did take the tiem to read the article inside which too be fair is worth a read.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •