Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 111

Thread: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

  1. #101
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    So they should have choosen an unphotogenic photo just to prove he's a bad person?
    A more neutral one would have certainly been less controversal. Buyt that is rather iorrelevent to your argument above, which asserted a rather passive role in the design of their own cover ...


    maybe photoshop in a scar or two?
    dude, you're acting as if this is the only picture they had access to and they had no input into the design of their own cover.


    Clearly Disney has a lot to answer for...
    doesn't really effect me much, tbh.

  2. #102
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    A more neutral one would have certainly been less controversal. Buyt that is rather iorrelevent to your argument above, which asserted a rather passive role in the design of their own cover ...
    How is it not neutral? the title calls him a 'Monster' so its clearly not that that bothers you so it must be the photo. Clearly they could have chosen another but why would they need to? If anything there only mistake was to assume that their readership were not idiots and wouldn't associate a good photo with glorification. There's plenty of bad pictures of Hitler around but you won't see them on biographies.

  3. #103
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    How is it not neutral? the title calls him a 'Monster' so its clearly not that that bothers you so it must be the photo. Clearly they could have chosen another but why would they need to? If anything there only mistake was to assume that their readership were not idiots and wouldn't associate a good photo with glorification. ***There's plenty of bad pictures of Hitler around but you won't see them on biographies***.
    Yeah, and those pictures also don't look like something from Tiger Beat, either. But if you want to stake out the position that all photos exist on some neutral aesthetic and emotional level I'm not going to argue with you about it. Being 1) the underlying issue with such a notion is rather self evident and 2) it's an issue I'm really not that concerned about

  4. #104
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    I don't understand why people are so annoyed - he was a good kid as a teenager and did fall into a bad crowd. People don't grow up to be terrorists. They're made into terrorists. His parents did fail him. They raised him in a manner where he basically forgot the basic boundaries between right & wrong.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #105
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I don't understand why people are so annoyed - he was a good kid as a teenager and did fall into a bad crowd. People don't grow up to be terrorists. They're made into terrorists. His parents did fail him. They raised him in a manner where he basically forgot the basic boundaries between right & wrong.
    it seems mainly an editorial device to set up the article, but I doubt the controversy factor was totally overlooked. Which strikes me as a bit insensitive to the victims, but so what. The most I'll do is continue not buying rolling stone and limiting limiting my reading to the occasional matt Talibi (sp) article

  6. #106
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Compared to what, British tabloids?

    From what I have seen, the entirety of the UK feeds of their disgusting tabloids.

    You should not be throwing stones while living in that glass house.

    Send one American seedy rock star to Britain, and the UK tabloid reporters go into a feeding frenzy.

    Then the public feed like sharks buying the garbage.

    Who is defending British tabloids? Grow up.

    p.s my wife is from Boston and her family were present at the marathon.

  7. #107
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    So they should have choosen an unphotogenic photo just to prove he's a bad person? maybe photoshop in a scar or two? Clearly Disney has a lot to answer for, people still expect the media to infantalize them as much as possible.

    Also how is this different from all the films/books/documentaries/Broadway musicals about Hitler?
    Maybe they could of used the picture of him standing next to the kid he ended up killing

  8. #108
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Maybe they could of used the picture of him standing next to the kid he ended up killing
    I'm sure that would convince legions of ernstwhile fans

  9. #109
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,252

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    I'm sure that would convince legions of ernstwhile fans
    Or show him for what he is. Much more powerful image

  10. #110
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,862

    Re: Rolling Stones and the Boston Bomber cover.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I don't understand why people are so annoyed - he was a good kid as a teenager and did fall into a bad crowd. People don't grow up to be terrorists. They're made into terrorists. His parents did fail him. They raised him in a manner where he basically forgot the basic boundaries between right & wrong.
    I don't care what he used to be,he is now a mass murderer.

    BS blaming his parents.

    He was weal-willed, and knew damn well what he was doing was wrong.

    He made the decision, he had free will, and he willingly participated in mass murder.

    He forgot nothing - he made a conscious effort to ignore the difference between right and wrong.

    He needs to die for what he did.

    How dare you defend his heinous actions.
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •