Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 457

Thread: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

  1. #441
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,152

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFW View Post
    I'm proud to be from Indiana, where the definition of marriage is still 'the union of a MAN and a WOMAN'. If it was as you wish I only have one thing to ask: When can a man marry a cow, or a woman marry a dog? It's just a matter of time for those to happen if you would get your way now.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  2. #442
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    In this one instance, I can speak on fact because it is clearly spelled out in Scripture. That is the basis, nothing more.
    It speaks clearly on a LOT of things that people do, and yet, those people still call themselves Christian and no one seems to mind.

  3. #443
    User HelplessHoping's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Texas, RGV
    Last Seen
    09-17-13 @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    64

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Perfect example of other people, groups and government having their collective noses WAAAAY too far up the backsides of US citizens. Pathetic. And these nosy people defend their bigotry with... religion? I will never understand. Ever. Still waiting for a decent LEGALLY sound argument against this.... All I get is preaching or crickets.

    Yawn


    …fearing not that I’d become my enemy, in the instant that I preach…
    -Bob Dylan, My Back Pages
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Aristotle
    Greek critic, philosopher, physicist, & zoologist (384 BC - 322 BC)

  4. #444
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    It speaks clearly on a LOT of things that people do, and yet, those people still call themselves Christian and no one seems to mind.
    You assume I advocate that.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  5. #445
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Your logic is not. It does not compute.
    Probably because I'm far too merciful to appeal to simple logic. You see, logic quickly informs us that homosexuality itself adds nothing of value to any society, but it does add numerous social and health issues, and so ought to be treated as a disease and controllable public burden, if we were to be "logical."


    It always amuses me when people appeal to excessive logic in human affair. Oh, logic it has its place, a minor one. People fail to grasp that logic is utterly pitiless, and would grant no quarter to the infirm the defective, the unproductive, the disruptive, the deviant, the weak, the non-compliant, the sick or the old. Anyone at all who has a net negative value to society, or is even surplus to it should logically be culled. Once upon a time, the French experimented with applying such extreme rationality to their society; history remembers the period as The Terror.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  6. #446
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,801

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    Probably because I'm far too merciful to appeal to simple logic. You see, logic quickly informs us that homosexuality itself adds nothing of value to any society, but it does add numerous social and health issues, and so ought to be treated as a disease and controllable public burden, if we were to be "logical."


    It always amuses me when people appeal to excessive logic in human affair. Oh, logic it has its place, a minor one. People fail to grasp that logic is utterly pitiless, and would grant no quarter to the infirm the defective, the unproductive, the disruptive, the deviant, the weak, the non-compliant, the sick or the old. Anyone at all who has a net negative value to society, or is even surplus to it should logically be culled. Once upon a time, the French experimented with applying such extreme rationality to their society; history remembers the period as The Terror.

    With every post you show your true colours - have fun in that imaginary world.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  7. #447
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Nice try but it fails as a comparison. Except for the race, the marriage would have been otherwise legal in any state. Same sex marriage requires the fundamental definition of marriage to be changed. You just don't want to get this, do you?
    The exact same conditions now exists when it comes to same sex marriages. If not for the sex/gender, the marriages would be legal in any state.

    It is only your personal definition of marriage that has problems, not the legal definition.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #448
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFW View Post
    I'm proud to be from Indiana, where the definition of marriage is still 'the union of a MAN and a WOMAN'. If it was as you wish I only have one thing to ask: When can a man marry a cow, or a woman marry a dog? It's just a matter of time for those to happen if you would get your way now.
    When a cow or a dog can actually consent to sign into any legal contract.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #449
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFW View Post
    Just a small leap for somebody else to say 'My cow told me she wanted this'. Really, if you can change this law you can change most any law.
    No it's not. Men and women are both able to sign legal contracts, including marriage contracts. Your argument fails logic analyses of any kind.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #450
    Sage
    ksu_aviator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,680
    Blog Entries
    10

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Thank you. Someone on the right who gets it.
    Except it was explained a couple of posts up. So, had the OP been truthful, my response would have been accurate. This wasn't truthful, so I retract my statement.
    You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3543444546 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •