Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 457

Thread: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

  1. #431
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    If you want to get into history you should read up on the Southern Strategy. It used to be the way you say. It isn't now.

    I don't think libertarians are dumb. They're just not realizing that the world is more complicated than Econ 101.
    I'll agree that the world is more complicated that Econ 101 but if you can forgive the analogy, libertarians just using Newtonian Physics to Study Cosmology is the Econ 101 example then the use by both Parties (really) of Keynesian and variants is like using Aristotelian Physics to study the same. And even then Keynesian economics would require the government to stop spending beyond as much when the economy has recovered. So even that is not adhered to so it is just allays spend more money. In this the Econ 101 is better that what is being offered now.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  2. #432
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    29

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggen View Post
    Nothing is too crazy for the Republicans these days. It's like they have a contest to see who can come up with the dumbest idea. the fact that this one may well be unconstitutional is just an added bonus to the lunacy.
    I'm proud to be from Indiana, where the definition of marriage is still 'the union of a MAN and a WOMAN'. If it was as you wish I only have one thing to ask: When can a man marry a cow, or a woman marry a dog? It's just a matter of time for those to happen if you would get your way now.

  3. #433
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Defnitely not Christian.
    Because YOU are the mind of God and get to define everything for us and for Him.

    That's the problem I have with people like you. You pick and choose sins to revile (largely excepting your own) and then claim that others who worship differently from you are apostates.

    That is NOT faith. It's arrogance. If you are a person of faith, then you accept that God is mystery. If you believe the Bible is the word of God, then you should also accept that in reading it, man has flaws and thus can never truly know the mind of God.

    The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.

    Once you believe you know everything, you are on a righteous path to hell.

    Of course, all of this ignores that we have a Constitution, which, when it comes to matters of law, trumps the Bible every time.

  4. #434
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-04-13 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFW View Post
    I'm proud to be from Indiana, where the definition of marriage is still 'the union of a MAN and a WOMAN'. If it was as you wish I only have one thing to ask: When can a man marry a cow, or a woman marry a dog? It's just a matter of time for those to happen if you would get your way now.
    If the dogs and cows were in on the discussion, then yes, there might be grounds for debate.

    As it stands, however, it's no-go.
    ...for perhaps the most admirable among the admirable laws of Nature is the survival of the weakest.
    --Vladimir Nabokov

  5. #435
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFW View Post
    I'm proud to be from Indiana, where the definition of marriage is still 'the union of a MAN and a WOMAN'. If it was as you wish I only have one thing to ask: When can a man marry a cow, or a woman marry a dog? It's just a matter of time for those to happen if you would get your way now.
    First off a cow or dog would have to have the ability to enter into a legally binding contract.

  6. #436
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    08-10-13 @ 10:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    29

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    First off a cow or dog would have to have the ability to enter into a legally binding contract.
    Just a small leap for somebody else to say 'My cow told me she wanted this'. Really, if you can change this law you can change most any law.

  7. #437
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Because YOU are the mind of God and get to define everything for us and for Him.

    That's the problem I have with people like you. You pick and choose sins to revile (largely excepting your own) and then claim that others who worship differently from you are apostates.

    That is NOT faith. It's arrogance. If you are a person of faith, then you accept that God is mystery. If you believe the Bible is the word of God, then you should also accept that in reading it, man has flaws and thus can never truly know the mind of God.

    The opposite of faith is not doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.

    Once you believe you know everything, you are on a righteous path to hell.

    Of course, all of this ignores that we have a Constitution, which, when it comes to matters of law, trumps the Bible every time.
    That doesn't describe me at all actually. Thanks for actually trying to get to know me though....wait...
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  8. #438
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    That doesn't describe me at all actually. Thanks for actually trying to get to know me though....wait...
    I was responding to a post in which you clearly stated that you know what "is" and "isn't" Christianity. Thus, you asserted that you know and get to decide what is and isn't Christian.

    You like to claim humility, but you possess the arrogance necessary to deem a church "not Christian."

    I can only describe you based on what I've seen here and I feel like it was accurate based on the evidence you present in this forum. You are, obviously, a much more complex person than that. There are probably things that we share in common. Religion and politics are clearly not among those things.

  9. #439
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I was responding to a post in which you clearly stated that you know what "is" and "isn't" Christianity. Thus, you asserted that you know and get to decide what is and isn't Christian.

    You like to claim humility, but you possess the arrogance necessary to deem a church "not Christian."

    I can only describe you based on what I've seen here and I feel like it was accurate based on the evidence you present in this forum. You are, obviously, a much more complex person than that. There are probably things that we share in common. Religion and politics are clearly not among those things.
    In this one instance, I can speak on fact because it is clearly spelled out in Scripture. That is the basis, nothing more.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  10. #440
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to marry gays

    Speaking of ****ting all over religious freedom ... I thought the GOP was all about that, guess not when it comes to gays.



    Granted, not the most unbiased source in the world. However, don't you think that a religion should be free to perform a religious ceremony?
    Blatant violation of separation of church and state.

Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •