Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 457

Thread: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

  1. #131
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,809

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Which words in Romans chapter one are you talking about?
    KJV Romans 1 "26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    27 and likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
    "

    In these two passages, Paul (or whoever wrote this epistle) used the word arsenokoites. A word that hasn't been found in any earlier Greek texts, it appears to have been formed by merging two words, arsen - male and koites - bed. There were other Greek words used at the time with meanings closer to what we call homosexual or gay. The question asked by scholars: Why did the writer make up a new word when others existed?

    In context, from what is known about cultic practices in the Greco-Roman culture of the 1st century, it is likely that Paul was condemning either temple prostitution or the forced sexual exploitation of slaves by their owners or pederasty.

    The other word found in Romans and in Corinthians is malakos which has a basic meaning of "soft" or "dainty" but was also used in other Greek texts to mean effeminate or weak men, not necessarily gay.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  2. #132
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    That is not the definition of homosexuality being talked about here. Homosexuality also means an attraction towards the same sex, regardless of behavior. Just as the word "mouse" can refer to an animal, a device used in conjunction with a computer, or a timid person, "homosexuality" can mean more than one thing. And generally when people refer to homosexuality without referencing sexual acts, they are referring to the attraction. In other words, you are equivocating.

    Furthermore, do you agree with Leviticus 25:44-46 that slavery is acceptable? (That wasn't a rhetorical question)
    Did Leviticus say that slavery is acceptable? Or did it say it was acceptable in that instance for a purpose? The Bible is clear in old and new testaments that homosexuality is always wrong, and in fact, homosexuals who do not repent of their sin will not enter into Heaven.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  3. #133
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    "The Bible" comes in many flavors. I have read with my own two beady little eyes that "a man shall not lie with another man".

    So what? Who cares what the bible says? We do all sorts of stuff that is forbidden in one bible or another. Look at all those "graven images" we have all over the place. Not to mention adulteres.

    These bibles were written by humans. An amazing amount of the biblical strictures are astonishingly brilliant considering their era. Those who choose their particular bible should honor it as much as they are comfortable with.

    Legislating this is kind of silly for many reasons. So, I'll guess it's just attention-whoring and not religious belief that motivates it. The State instructing the Clergyman is just illogical.

    Things change. It's called evolution. You can't legislate who loves who and you can't make them be of lower status because of it. Just as civil rights had their long hard struggle, so have gay rights. W've been very slow in embracing this and you'll still see these types of desperate measures for a while longer. 50 years from now, "civil union" will be a term as arcane as white and colored restrooms.

    The world won't end.

  4. #134
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,809

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    All who posted comments regarding the source found in the OP and then denigrated said source as not being trustworthy because John Aravosis, the blog proprietor, is gay and favours gay marriage - you really should take the time to click on the link he provided. Here it is Indiana Code 31-11-11

    See that - it is the Indiana state government official website providing the public with the text of the state legal code

    IC 31-11-11-7
    Solemnization of marriage between persons prohibited from marrying
    Sec. 7. A person who knowingly solemnizes a marriage of individuals who are prohibited from marrying by IC 31-11-1 commits a Class B misdemeanor.

    Solemnize
    1. to go through or observe with ceremony or formality.
    2. to perform the ceremony of (marriage).
    3. to render solemn; dignify.
    IC 35-50-3-3
    Class B misdemeanor
    Sec. 3. A person who commits a Class B misdemeanor shall be imprisoned for a fixed term of not more than one hundred eighty (180) days; in addition, he may be fined not more than one thousand
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  5. #135
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,809

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Did Leviticus say that slavery is acceptable? Or did it say it was acceptable in that instance for a purpose? The Bible is clear in old and new testaments that homosexuality is always wrong, and in fact, homosexuals who do not repent of their sin will not enter into Heaven.
    Certainly seems to say "slavery is acceptable"

    KJV Leviticus 25
    44 Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids.
    45 Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession.
    46 And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour.
    Apparently the god of the Jews was telling them that they SHALL HAVE slaves (bondsmen) and they SHALL be bondmen for ever.
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  6. #136
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    Certainly seems to say "slavery is acceptable"

    KJV Leviticus 25


    Apparently the god of the Jews was telling them that they SHALL HAVE slaves (bondsmen) and they SHALL be bondmen for ever.
    You Say the Bible Advocates Slavery? | The Christian Apologetics Alliance

    That should clear some things up for you.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  7. #137
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    07-25-13 @ 09:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    3,328

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Of course, there's no consensual homosexuality in prison as all straight people automatically become celibate pseudo warrior monks under those circumstances. And I own a tree that every fall drops dollars and euros and only in the higher denominations.........................

  8. #138
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Did Leviticus say that slavery is acceptable? Or did it say it was acceptable in that instance for a purpose? The Bible is clear in old and new testaments that homosexuality is always wrong, and in fact, homosexuals who do not repent of their sin will not enter into Heaven.
    The passage seemed pretty clear to me. I even quoted it for you. In what instance is slavery morally acceptable? The Bible seems clear that slavery is ok, and that disobeying one's parents is punishable by death. Do you agree with that?

    In fact, if you want to argue that homosexuality is so sinful, you must do so with the furvor of everything else in the bible that nobody follows. Here is a nice list for you.

    1. The bible condemns men with long hair
    “Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair, it is degrading to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory?” (1 Corinthians 11:14-15).

    2. The bible says those who disobey their parents should be punished by death
    (quote already given)

    3. The bible condemns divorce.

    4. The bible condemns the disabled.
    Handicapped people cannot approach the altar of God. They would "profane" it. Leviticus 21:16-23

    5. The bible says women are worth more than men.
    "The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If anyone makes a special vow to dedicate a person to the Lord by giving the equivalent value, 3 set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekels[a] of silver, according to the sanctuary shekel[b]; 4 for a female, set her value at thirty shekels[c]" Leviticus 27:1-4

    6. Those who commit adultery are to be put to death.
    “‘If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.
    To quote Jesus from the Gospel of Mark: “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery.”


    Should we issue the death penalty for those who cheat? Should be outlaw divorce? Should be kill children who disobey their parents? Should we condemn men with long hair? Should we treat women as second-class citizens to men? Should we prohibit the disabled from participating in Christianity? If you take the few verses on homosexuality to mean it is so sinful and wrong, how can you answer no to any of these questions?

    Picking and choosing bible verses to harm others in God's name is the true sin being committed here. The ultimate commandment is love.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  9. #139
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    The passage seemed pretty clear to me. I even quoted it for you. In what instance is slavery morally acceptable? The Bible seems clear that slavery is ok, and that disobeying one's parents is punishable by death. Do you agree with that?

    In fact, if you want to argue that homosexuality is so sinful, you must do so with the furvor of everything else in the bible that nobody follows. Here is a nice list for you.

    1. The bible condemns men with long hair
    “Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair, it is degrading to him, but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory?” (1 Corinthians 11:14-15).

    2. The bible says those who disobey their parents should be punished by death
    (quote already given)

    3. The bible condemns divorce.

    4. The bible condemns the disabled.
    Handicapped people cannot approach the altar of God. They would "profane" it. Leviticus 21:16-23

    5. The bible says women are worth more than men.
    "The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If anyone makes a special vow to dedicate a person to the Lord by giving the equivalent value, 3 set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekels[a] of silver, according to the sanctuary shekel[b]; 4 for a female, set her value at thirty shekels[c]" Leviticus 27:1-4

    6. Those who commit adultery are to be put to death.
    “‘If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.
    To quote Jesus from the Gospel of Mark: “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery.”


    Should we issue the death penalty for those who cheat? Should be outlaw divorce? Should be kill children who disobey their parents? Should we condemn men with long hair? Should we treat women as second-class citizens to men? Should we prohibit the disabled from participating in Christianity? If you take the few verses on homosexuality to mean it is so sinful and wrong, how can you answer no to any of these questions?

    Picking and choosing bible verses to harm others in God's name is the true sin being committed here. The ultimate commandment is love.
    Actually the only one picking Bible verses is you. Read the New Testament.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  10. #140
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Indiana GOP passes law making it a crime for clergy to perform gay weddings

    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville View Post
    All who posted comments regarding the source found in the OP and then denigrated said source as not being trustworthy because John Aravosis, the blog proprietor, is gay and favours gay marriage - you really should take the time to click on the link he provided. Here it is Indiana Code 31-11-11

    See that - it is the Indiana state government official website providing the public with the text of the state legal code
    The proper word for administering marriage vows to homosexual would be frivolize, not solemnize.

    Actually, they can't marry first cousins or bigamist wannabes either. Seriously, though, if there's no marriage license, it's not a marriage that gets "solemnized" even if there is a ceremony that is a mock wedding.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 14 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •