Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 386

Thread: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

  1. #41
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Funny, his oath is to the constitution, not to "not embarass politicians".
    Snowden was not an active duty member of the military - he was a civilian contractor. In which case his oath was to protect classified information.

    The committees wouldn't have done anything, because those committees were the same ones who approved the idea. You're living in a dream world if you think one of the lowest ranking guys to know a secret can say to the highest ranking guys "What you did is illegal and violates the constitution. Turn yourself in and apologize to the American public". .
    you are right that the oversight committees knew full well what the NSA was doing. Where you are wrong, methinks, is where you declare it to be illegal. Given that classified collection methods and capabilities must remain secret, when you have Executive, Judicial, and Legislative oversight all agreeing on the legality of a program... you aren't really going to get better than that.

    I'd like to see evidence of a whistleblower protection system for highly classified information. You're just assuming there is one
    There is. One of the things about whistleblowers is that half the time (guesstimating that figure up) the information they are blowing a whistle on (in this community) has already been made available to the relevant authorities.

  2. #42
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Am really kind of mixed on whether Snowden is a hero or chump.
    He's an idiot is what he is. Anyone else want to lay bets that China and Russia haven't both exploited the snot out of him?

    hey, it couldn't happen to a more self-important fool.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,485

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    He's an idiot is what he is. Anyone else want to lay bets that China and Russia haven't both exploited the snot out of him?

    hey, it couldn't happen to a more self-important fool.
    I think you are correct. He may feel like a major player right now but he is going to find out that he is only a pawn on the chessboard. Don't know if he has family but if a parent ever got seriously ill he will never be able to see them and to me that would be the biggest mistake.

  4. #44
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,309

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I did not claim they would shut it down. However, if he had followed the legal procedures, it could be very possible that the actual legality of the program could be reviewed by the judicial branch. That is appropriate. Violating your freely given oaths, not so much.
    You're going to have a lot of sand in your ears. The Senate tried to investigate, Senators elected by us, and were lied to by Clapper and McCullough and you think there exists a proper authority that Snowden could turn to. Complete hogwash. That's the top of the chain so something is wrong and Snowden is making you face it. Quit pretending that there is a real legal option for Snowden to have used. You've watched too much TV and have a whole head full of TV information bought and sold by somebody and you think it is factual. You're subliminally programmed and a very successful example of Mass Media manipulation. Face reality and acknowledge that Snowden had no other reasonable options. This is not the land of liberty and justice. It's a nice Country, but on a slippery slope and sliding in a bad direction. Spy on terrorists, not USA citizens. It is blanket spying, wholesale collection of all communications because Corporate America knows information is power, not because we are terrorists. Do you actually trust your USA gov't. Keep in mind that this is the same gov't that disregarded the Geneva Conventions, practiced rendition, black sites, waterboarding, invasions, death, chaos, and destruction. Keep that last sentence in your mind and think about Snowden. Now ask yourself why the US has given its Treasury to Huge Banks. Entertain a few conspiratorial scenarios or try to believe what the gov't tells you. "Too big to fail."

  5. #45
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,953

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    A contract worker has to sign a confidentiality agreement when they work for the company Snowden worked for and other companies like that.

    While the contract may not the binding the top secret documents are the property of the company and it is the fact that he stole copies of the documents that is against the law not the fact that he " blabbed".
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  6. #46
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Even if the programs he took issue with were deemed to be unconstitutional, that does not allow Snowden to release classified information to media outlets and the general public. Even when you anoint him judicial and moral authority, he's still in clear violation of the law.

    Legal protection is available for those who take legal measures. Document dumps, as all adults know, are not legal measures and do not receive legal protection, nor should they.
    So in your opinion, even if the government is committing horrible atrocities, you believe all government workers that know about it should keep their mouths shut and follow orders? And if they do tell someone about it, they should be handed over for that embarassed government to crush?

    Man, you are one of the hardcores. State over Citizens, no exceptions.

    There were zero legal measures for Snowden to whistleblow. He could not tell anybody that didn't already know.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Snowden was not an active duty member of the military - he was a civilian contractor. In which case his oath was to protect classified information.
    I addressed this earlier. If


    you are right that the oversight committees knew full well what the NSA was doing. Where you are wrong, methinks, is where you declare it to be illegal. Given that classified collection methods and capabilities must remain secret, when you have Executive, Judicial, and Legislative oversight all agreeing on the legality of a program... you aren't really going to get better than that.



    There is. One of the things about whistleblowers is that half the time (guesstimating that figure up) the information they are blowing a whistle on (in this community) has already been made available to the relevant authorities.
    By your definition no one can ever whistleblow a top secret program. If he's not allowed to tell anybody without the clearance, and everyone with the clearance already knows, he wouldn't be telling anybody new. That means it was impossible to whistleblow through legal channels. There was nothing he could've said that would've made them change their minds or cancel the program, so he had no other choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #47
    Anarcho Facist
    Spriggs05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    UK
    Last Seen
    07-10-16 @ 10:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,428

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela, President Nicolás Maduro Says

    I hope he accepts and i hope he finds a way to get to Venezuela! [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Cannot comprehend that I am agreeing with a Socialist leader.
    Either way, hope Snowden makes it without issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Freedom cannot be brought by foreigners with a gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    The idiots on this board that fully take the republican or democrat side and think their party is the harbingers of truth and justice and the other, evil scum who are ruining the country. When you realize they're both the latter, you have reached enlightenment.

  8. #48
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I have to answer your questions with another question: When has the US ever given a flying rat's ass about another nation's sovereignty?
    America is a good county. We're just addicted to oil. Addicts in every sense of the word. If you replace the US with a crack or heroine attract and oil for crack or heroine, the similarities would be entertaining to observe.

    To answer your question; Closing US military bases in the Philipines after to people voted to ask us to leave. The Panama Canal. Honoring the will of the people in their up until recent choice of the Muslim Brotherhood as the elected leaders of Egypt.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  9. #49
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So in your opinion, even if the government is committing horrible atrocities..

    you believe all government workers that know about it should keep their mouths shut and follow orders?

    And if they do tell someone about it, they should be handed over for that embarassed government to crush? Man, you are one of the hardcores. State over Citizens, no exceptions. There were zero legal measures for Snowden to whistleblow. He could not tell anybody that didn't already know.
    You'll excuse me if I don't classify the programs in question as "horrible atrocities." Using such rhetoric does a disservice to the term and the victims of such.

    Snowden, as mentioned before to no avail, had the ability to air his grievances to the appropriate authorities. He was also under no obligation to work for the agency in question as you imply. Distancing himself from the practice was unlikely though, seeing as he has admitted he took the job specifically for the purpose of obtaining information related to the programs.

    The sensationalism is hilarious and pitiful. Justifying illegal actions by stating the low probability of success through legal means is, quite frankly, a childlike view.

  10. #50
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So in your opinion, even if the government is committing horrible atrocities, you believe all government workers that know about it should keep their mouths shut and follow orders? And if they do tell someone about it, they should be handed over for that embarassed government to crush?

    Man, you are one of the hardcores. State over Citizens, no exceptions.

    There were zero legal measures for Snowden to whistleblow. He could not tell anybody that didn't already know.
    What atrocities? This is something that is not even illegal.

    It is not state over citizens, it is rule of law. Laws that are put in place by those we elect to do so. Laws that we are therefore responsible form.

    Snowdon had the legal right to speak to an IG and his congressmen. If they do not act, then you are **** out of luck. Maybe you should have elected some one else...



    By your definition no one can ever whistleblow a top secret program. If he's not allowed to tell anybody without the clearance, and everyone with the clearance already knows, he wouldn't be telling anybody new. That means it was impossible to whistleblow through legal channels. There was nothing he could've said that would've made them change their minds or cancel the program, so he had no other choice.
    If the program is not illegal, the best he can hope for is that his congressmen get it pushed into judicial review. That is how the system works in this country. Just because you do not like a program does not give you the right to go to the press. We are a nation of laws.

    You may not like the program, hell I don't like it and would hope it fails fails on constitutional grounds in the courts. That does not change the fact that national security must be secure. Sometimes there are no good answers. In this case, the best answer is to not elect politicians who will approve such a program, and to find a way to ensure classified programs actually do pass legal and constitutional muster. In the meantime, when some one leaks classified information, we have to do everything in our power to ensure they are brought to justice.

    As soon as we let people get away with breaking our laws, because it is convenient to do so, the whole legal system is compromised. Laws pertain to every one.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •