Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 386

Thread: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

  1. #301
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post

    If I were one of these guys defending Snowden, I'd just be embarrassed at this point.
    They would and should, but won't because they'll remain biased even in the face of logic.

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Last Seen
    07-04-16 @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    631

    Re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[

    I think that all this "Fear" about whistleblowers is because the futurists recognize the problems of secrecy as Martial Law is implemented as a result of economic collapse.

    I would think that at least 30 percent of the civil servants within Federal, State and Local governments would not be too pleased with Martial Law and they would want to leak information as to deployments and other actions and plans against the civilian population.

    This "Insider Threat" must be dealt with prior to Martial Law being implemented.

    Calm

    Archive Reference: On Topic
    U.S. Martial Law : Civil Unrest : Occupy Wall Street Movement : The War At Home
    Articles and Commentaries by various writers and media pundits.
    2000 - October 13, 2005
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...er13-2005.html
    October 14, 2005 ---January 31, 2007
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...ry31-2007.html
    January 26, 2007 --- June 03, 2008
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...ne03-2008.html
    June 03, 2008 --- March 04, 2009
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...ch04-2009.html
    March 16, 2009 --- January 29, 2010
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...ry29-2010.html
    January 29, 2009 --- December 20, 2010
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...er20-2010.html
    January 10, 2011 --- May 15, 2011
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...ay15-2011.html
    October 09, 2011 --- October 30, 2011
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...er30-2011.html
    November 23, 2011 --- February 06, 2012
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...ry06-2012.html
    February 06, 2012 --- August 08, 2012
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...st08-2012.html
    September 07, 2012 --- April 19, 2013
    http://www.dotandcalm.com/calm-archi...er10-2012.html
    Last edited by calm; 07-11-13 at 09:26 AM.

  3. #303
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,901

    Re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I am not twisting your words at all.
    Yes, you were. You claimed that I made whistleblowing of govt spying the equivalent of whistleblowing on genocide. You stated you cannot think of a single extreme reason for oathbreaking. I gave you one.


    If certain extreme circumstances like genocide can justify oath-breaking that is no excuse whatsoever for Snowden, who betrayed his oath over an attenuated bit of constitutional minutiae.
    The freedoms of Americans > than one man's oath.

    Even granting that these searches were unconstitutional (I do not) the mere fact that a law is unconstitutional does not carry the same moral weight as a genocide.
    Never said they were the same moral weight.


    What is going on here? The government is seizing some of Verizon's property for a search. If Verizon doesn't like it then they have standing I go to court and fight it, yet they never did. No individual rights are violates any more than when Verizon eels that same data to advertisers. This is absolutely nothing, even if there were no warrants. And, oh yeah, there WERE warrants; so this js REALLY nothing. But even if there were no warrants this is still nothing to get worked up obver. Comparing it to the holocaust is a disservice to real moral tragedies.
    Warrants mean almost nothing thanks to the Patriot Act. But besides that, warrants aren't the issue as the govt collected information on billions of calls. Did they issue warrants for billions of calls? And if this is simply an issue of Verizon handing of its own property then why should a warrant be required in the first place?
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  4. #304
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,901

    Re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Defecting to Venezuela after leaking clAssified national security secrets while claiming to care about the interests of the USA can be characterized as nothing other than an act of cowardice.
    Dude, please keep up with the news. At this time he has not defected to Venezuela. I pointed this out to you a few days ago but you continue to push false information.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  5. #305
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,901

    Re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    That's a great point. He's defecting to Venezuela to protest US infringements of liberty.
    Please stop pushing false information.

    Apparently the US is so unfree he has to leak classified information in protest and then flee, but somehow he's just fine with the level of freedom Venezuela. That's the definition of a hypocrite.
    He is seeking asylum, not seeking a 'freer' nation than the US.

    If I were one of these guys defending Snowden, I'd just be embarrassed at this point.
    I am embarrassed for you espousing false information.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  6. #306
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,901

    Re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    "Doing something right"...Snowden didn't do something indisputably "right", he did something indisputably illegal.
    I am not arguing that what he did wasn't illegal.


    Some people feel he should be celebrated as a hero and others think he should be considered a traitor who put American lives in danger. So who gets to make that determination of what's right and what's not?
    Everyone makes their own determinations. Duh. I have determined that what Snowden did was right, despite being illegal and therefore I support him. How many people do we celebrate throughout history who did things illegally?

    Are your morals flexible enough to bend in all directions, depending upon whether or not you agree with the act?
    My morals are pretty strong. Not flexible at all.

    First of all, Edward Snowden very clearly knew he did something which was, at least on some levels, wrong.
    You can argue the "right" far outshone the "wrong", and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you on that, but there was still a level of wrongness in his actions.
    He knew it was illegal. I would not say he believed it was "wrong" otherwise he would not have given up his six figure job. You seem to have difficulty separating the definitions of right/wrong vs legal/illegal.

    Second of all, if we're just going to arbitrarily assign cowardice based upon whether we agree with the action, then if we take the example of a person who murders a child because he/she claims the child was possessed, then that person does not feel they did wrong and thus, using your theory, could not be considered a coward when they fled.
    Whether someone is a 'coward' is indeed a matter of opinion. Would you call someone a coward for fleeing genocide committed by the government?

    Finally, the problem I have with your argument is if each person gets to decide for themselves whether the fleeing action was cowardly, then why are you essentially arguing with me that Snowden is a coward?
    So if someone has an opinion then that means everyone else has that same opinion? Love your logic.

    At the end of the day, if a person truly believes they are doing the right thing, then they shouldn't run from the thing they did. It's hard for me to believe you're a man standing on principles when you break the law, if you are running from facing the consequences of said principle. I MIGHT give some credence to the argument of running so one can continue the fight, but Snowden's fleeing does not continue his fight, if anything, it diminishes it (as I explained earlier in the thread).
    If I believe that a man's actions were just, and he runs away to avoid an unfair trial then no I do not believe he/she is a coward.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  7. #307
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    Please stop pushing false information.



    He is seeking asylum, not seeking a 'freer' nation than the US.



    I am embarrassed for you espousing false information.
    Bull****. A request for asylum to Venezuela to escape US justice is the same as defecting.

  8. #308
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,901

    Re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Bull****. A request for asylum to Venezuela to escape US justice is the same as defecting.
    To defect TO a country one must take up residence in that country.

    de·fect
    1. To disown allegiance to one's country and take up residence in another

    defection - definition of defection by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  9. #309
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,901

    Re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
    They would and should, but won't because they'll remain biased even in the face of logic.
    Ah, so you're another one who thinks Einstein should have stayed and faced Nazi justice in Germany?
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  10. #310
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Bull****. A request for asylum to Venezuela to escape US justice is the same as defecting.
    He hasn't defected. I agree he should be cuaght and prosecuted, but he hasn't defected by the very definition of it.

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •