Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 386

Thread: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

  1. #21
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    Because a FISA court authorized a dragnet spying operation on the American people. Yes, it really does come down to whether you agree with that action or not. If you agree, you think the system is working fine. If you don't, then the system can't be anything but broken.

    But, whenever my opposition begs the question and I notice it, I will do likewise.

    This 4th, for the first time in years, I felt no patriotism. And it wasn't on account of the government or the FISA courts, or even the betrayal by Obama. I always felt patriotism because I believed in the people, even when the govt was off the rails. The natural state of the American soul is to be suspicious of government power. For the first time in my living memory, the people of America are a complete disappointment. I don't recognize us as the Americans I thought we were.

    The people are calling him a coward. BAH! The people are cowards, if they are so fearful of our enemies that they are willing to shatter the underpinnings of those things which keep us free.
    So you think the system for reporting issues with classified information is broken because of something entirely unrelated. That makes sense.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #22
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    How do you know the system is broken?
    I would say it is out of control. How did you ever get to the point of killing US citizens without trial even when there is no belief they are about to undertake a murderous activity.

    How can you agree to suffering surveillance. Do you know how that works? You mention some word and then they see another word and pretty soon you are 'wanted'.

    It is not uncommon even for the CIA and JSOC to be at odds as to who will be killed. Your congress doesn't know what is going on. You have silently become a secret state.

    Your foreign policy is horrendous and I think has created a 'self fulfilling prophesy'.

    So on both fronts, your treatment of the other is awful but the situation has been set up nicely for you to become a totalitarian state always scared of what you say lest the secret police hear.

    Maybe you need to sort both out together. Jeremy Scahill thinks there is a strong likelihood of the US facing much more terrorism on it's soil, not because anyone is a Muslim or is jealous of the US but simply because they have a score to settle for your covert secret operations which you usually do not even hear about. If you keep going it is only going to get worse. As it gets worse more of your freedoms will be taken from you.

    P.S. I am aware that the UK is not much better than the US.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  3. #23
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you think the system for reporting issues with classified information is broken because of something entirely unrelated. That makes sense.
    The dragnet spying operation was a product of the system, and therefore is entirely related. If you are going to try to tell me that there was some credible system in place to challenge that operation, then don't bother. I have no use for such a sad Hail Mary.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  4. #24
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,579

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you think the system for reporting issues with classified information is broken because of something entirely unrelated. That makes sense.
    Please, enlighten us about this classified information reporting system. You were/are in the military, you should know a little bit. How easy is it to report a classified decision that a general/admiral made, that the government itself considers legal, but you and many Americans consider illegal?

    Can you honestly sit there with a straight face and say "If Edward Snowden had reported this through the proper channels, they would've listened and shut down an expensive NSA program."?

    They would've told him to go **** himself.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #25
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:11 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Please, enlighten us about this classified information reporting system. You were/are in the military, you should know a little bit. How easy is it to report a classified decision that a general/admiral made, that the government itself considers legal, but you and many Americans consider illegal?

    Can you honestly sit there with a straight face and say "If Edward Snowden had reported this through the proper channels, they would've listened and shut down an expensive NSA program."?
    I did not claim they would shut it down. However, if he had followed the legal procedures, it could be very possible that the actual legality of the program could be reviewed by the judicial branch. That is appropriate. Violating your freely given oaths, not so much.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #26
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,579

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I did not claim they would shut it down. However, if he had followed the legal procedures, it could be very possible that the actual legality of the program could be reviewed by the judicial branch. That is appropriate. Violating your freely given oaths, not so much.
    So you won't elaborate on this classified information reporting program? I don't think it exists. Classified information is restricted to only those that are authorized to know about it. If you report that classified information to anyone outside of the program, you are violating regulations.

    Not to mention, he wasn't a government worker, he was a contractor, so he doesn't have access to the same services that government workers do. Do you have evidence that he swore an oath to be a contractor? And do you think that oath was sworn to uphold the constitution, or to protect the government no matter what they do?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #27
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So you won't elaborate on this classified information reporting program? I don't think it exists. Classified information is restricted to only those that are authorized to know about it. If you report that classified information to anyone outside of the program, you are violating regulations.

    Not to mention, he wasn't a government worker, he was a contractor, so he doesn't have access to the same services that government workers do.Do you have evidence that he swore an oath to be a contractor? And do you think that oath was sworn to uphold the constitution, or to protect the government no matter what they do?
    Snowden had the legal ability to report what he felt were abuses to the appropriate Congressional committees, or the Inspector General in this case.

    As if individuals outside the parameters of national security have the right to dump classified documents that they happen to obtain. Simply absurd. Irrelevant though, as Snowden acquired the documents while still an employee of the NSA and through the NSA facility itself.

  8. #28
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I did not claim they would shut it down. However, if he had followed the legal procedures, it could be very possible that the actual legality of the program could be reviewed by the judicial branch. That is appropriate. Violating your freely given oaths, not so much.
    lulz This level of naivete in an adult is disturbing.

    There would be no 'review' on the strength of some minor civil servant's reservations. It's not 'very possible' at all. What's very possible is the likelihood of Snowden's untimely demise. What planet are you on, dude?

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So you think the system for reporting issues with classified information is broken because of something entirely unrelated. That makes sense.
    What a joke. Three former NSA leakers - all of whom tried to work within the system before they leaked - made it clear in an interview with USA Today that Snowden was not going to be successful within the system. There's also the fact that the very people who run "the system" have said repeatedly that they approve of PRISM and the other programs so that, right there, tells you that his criticisms would not have been taken seriously or sympathized with. And then, you also have the fact that one of the problems Snowden had with the programs was that they were SECRET so releasing them to the public was his end goal regardless. Your argument - as always on this topic - is nonsensical.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Texas, Vegas, Colombia
    Last Seen
    11-28-16 @ 06:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,295

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    I hope he makes it to somewhere he can be, and remain, free .. and live an long and good life.

    our government is not going to make it easy though....they do not like it when their bull**** is exposed and they will come after him.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •