Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 386

Thread: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

  1. #11
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What I find stunning about the Snowden case is how much of a canary in the coal mines it has served with regards to our respect for privacy. We think nothing of entities like Mark Zuckerberg and Google selling our personal information to corporations, and condemn Snowden for alerting us to flagrant violations of our rights by our government. Where the hell are our priorities?

    And calling us Snowden a "coward" is laughable. I wonder how many here who label him thus would so willingly sacrifice their home, family and freedom to stand up for their principles.
    I know, like it can only be courageous if you are willing to be dumbass enough to go to jail for the rest of your life.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  2. #12
    Sage
    minnie616's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,952

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Coward?
    Can't say.
    Stupid?
    Yes, definitely !
    When it comes to matters of reproduce health, Politicians and the religious dogma of another faith should never interfere with religious liberty of an individual or her faith.

  3. #13
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    What I find stunning about the Snowden case is how much of a canary in the coal mines it has served with regards to our respect for privacy. We think nothing of entities like Mark Zuckerberg and Google selling our personal information to corporations, and condemn Snowden for alerting us to flagrant violations of our rights by our government. Where the hell are our priorities?

    And calling us Snowden a "coward" is laughable. I wonder how many here who label him thus would so willingly sacrifice their home, family and freedom to stand up for their principles.
    We call Snowden a criminal and condemn him because he broke the law, violated his oath and refused to work within the system. Building straw men like you are is a weak argument.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #14
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    the way i see it, since he was working for a company that was contracted to work for the government, he broke the law and violated the terms of his contract.

    funny thing is i see no one calling for punishing the company that was contracted to do the spying in the first place

  5. #15
    Guru
    Smeagol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    02-19-17 @ 11:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,147

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    I'm curious if anyone is familiar with international sanctuary/immunity laws. As long as Snowden is in another country, he's outside of US jurisdiction to be arrested unless the country agrees to extradite him. Venezuela has agreed to offer him asylum but he's in Russia right now. Can Venezuela take custody of Snowden in Russia and transport him to Venezuela over international waters and enjoy a protected status similar to being in an embassy during the trip while in a vessel or aircraft not registered under the US flag or country with an extradition treaty? Can Venezuela offer him diplomatic immunity? Are moving vessels in or above international waters free for the US to seize and/or search as if there were in the US? If he's arrested under such conditions, would he qualify of charge dismissal under a technicality similar to not being read his miranda rights or evidence illegally obtained? Bottom line, is there anyway for Snowden to get to Venezuela legally protected as if he were in an embassy or woud he essentially need to sneak in?

    I think Snowden committed treason, my non-expert opinion. I also think since 9/11 and possibly prior, the US government has walked all over the Fourth Amendment in disturbing ways.
    Last edited by Smeagol; 07-06-13 at 05:29 AM.
    Having opinions all over the map is a good sign of a person capable of autonomous thinking. Felix -2011

  6. #16
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Not me. I hope he's brought back to the United States and put on trial. Running away and hiding is cowardly. If he feels this strongly about the wrongs the government was doing, then he should be willing to stand up and fight them.
    So anyone who doesn't want to get locked in a box, tortured, and refused a trial for years is a coward? I think you're full of ****. I guess all of the founding fathers were pieces of **** for not turning themselves into the British government to be hanged.

    Ridiculous. You just want to see him burn because you hate what he did, it has NOTHING to do with his "courage".

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We call Snowden a criminal and condemn him because he broke the law, violated his oath and refused to work within the system. Building straw men like you are is a weak argument.
    If you discovered the government was doing morally wrong, or unconstitutional actions and didn't report it, you'd be a coward. If the government were torturing children in dark rooms, I imagine you'd do something. This "Patriotism and loyalty to the government REGARDLESS of what they do" is absolute bull****.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #17
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    We call Snowden a criminal and condemn him because he broke the law, violated his oath and refused to work within the system. Building straw men like you are is a weak argument.
    It is profoundly disingenuous to complain that he didn't work within the system, when the system was obviously broken.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  8. #18
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    It is profoundly disingenuous to complain that he didn't work within the system, when the system was obviously broken.
    How do you know the system is broken?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #19
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I'm curious if anyone is familiar with international sanctuary/immunity laws. As long as Snowden is in another country, he's outside of US jurisdiction to be arrested unless the country agrees to extradite him. Venezuela has agreed to offer him asylum but he's in Russia right now. Can Venezuela take custody of Snowden in Russia and transport him to Venezuela over international waters and enjoy a protected status similar to being in an embassy during the trip while in a vessel or aircraft not registered under the US flag or country with an extradition treaty? Can Venezuela offer him diplomatic immunity? Are moving vessels in or above international waters free for the US to seize and/or search as if there were in the US? If he's arrested under such conditions, would he qualify of charge dismissal under a technicality similar to not being read his miranda rights or evidence illegally obtained? Bottom line, is there anyway for Snowden to get to Venezuela legally protected as if he were in an embassy or woud he essentially need to sneak in?

    I think Snowden committed treason, my non-expert opinion. I also think since 9/11 and possibly prior, the US government has walked all over the Fourth Amendment in disturbing ways.
    I have to answer your questions with another question: When has the US ever given a flying rat's ass about another nation's sovereignty?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #20
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    How do you know the system is broken?
    Because a FISA court authorized a dragnet spying operation on the American people. Yes, it really does come down to whether you agree with that action or not. If you agree, you think the system is working fine. If you don't, then the system can't be anything but broken.

    But, whenever my opposition begs the question and I notice it, I will do likewise.

    This 4th, for the first time in years, I felt no patriotism. And it wasn't on account of the government or the FISA courts, or even the betrayal by Obama. I always felt patriotism because I believed in the people, even when the govt was off the rails. The natural state of the American soul is to be suspicious of government power. For the first time in my living memory, the people of America are a complete disappointment. I don't recognize us as the Americans I thought we were.

    The people are calling him a coward. BAH! The people are cowards, if they are so fearful of our enemies that they are willing to shatter the underpinnings of those things which keep us free.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •