Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 386

Thread: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    You should take it as C)

    You offer a false dichotomy.
    So you cannot answer this incredibly simple question:

    Under which situation is he more able to continue to talk about what he knows, to any extent he wants...a) free; or b) in captivity?

    Noted.


    I don't have to prove it, it's what I believe his motivation to be. And the reason I believe it to be his motivation is based upon his actions. He could have said everything at once, but he didn't. He strung it out over multiple occasions. He could have easily said everything he wanted to say, and then face the legal charges against him.
    You said he 'wants', not 'I believe he wants'.

    You made a matter-of-fact statement, when all you had was that you 'believed'.

    So, you make factual/matter-of-fact statements knowing you do not actually know the facts.

    Again noted.



    Have a nice day.

  2. #122
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Nah.

    Its WAY easier to defend your actions before the world out in it than locked away from it forever.

    Pisses off your opponent no end too.

    Win win.
    Well, that's the point. He claims not to be an opponent of the United States. He claims to have leaked the data out of love of country. But he defected to escape the legal consequences of his actions.

    If he really respected rule of law, as he claims, he would stay here and defend his actions in court.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    So you cannot answer this incredibly simple question:

    Under which situation is he more able to continue to talk about what he knows, to any extent he wants...a) free; or b) in captivity?

    Noted.
    No, I'm accurately pointing out your fallacious argument. You're engaging in bifurcation, or more commonly known as false dilemma/dichotomy. You're saying only two possibilities exist, when the fact is more than one alternative exists.

    I already answered your question by noting one of those alternatives. Just because it didn't fit within your fallacious argument doesn't mean I cannot answer it. It just means I'm not playing along with your fallacious argument.

    You said he 'wants', not 'I believe he wants'.

    You made a matter-of-fact statement, when all you had was that you 'believed'.

    So, you make factual/matter-of-fact statements knowing you do not actually know the facts.
    What I said was:

    "Snowden could have just told everything he knew all at once. But he didn't, he wanted to drag it out for maximum affect [sic], and likely, for his own personal glory."

    First of all, I hate the fact I used the wrong form of effect. Second of all, I notice you cannot dispute what I said. Snowden could have said everything all at once, but he didn't. So allow me to rephrase the second part of that:

    "Snowden could have just told everything he knew all at once. But he didn't, because he almost assuredly wanted to drag it out for maximum effect, and likely, for his own personal glory."

    Does that please you more? Are people always so anal retentive about irrelevant word play?

  4. #124
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Apparently some members of the Russian parliament are in favor of Snowden going to Venezuela, however, the Kremiln has kept silent about the matter.

    MOSCOW — Venezuela’s offer of asylum for NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden got a thumbs up from key members of the Russian parliament Saturday, even as the Kremlin and Foreign Ministry kept a studious silence.

    “Sanctuary for Snowden in Venezuela would be the best decision,” Alexei Pushkov, head of the foreign affairs committee of Russia’s lower house of parliament, tweeted Saturday.
    Russians signal openness to Venezuela’s offer to shelter Snowden - The Washington Post


  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post

    What I said was:

    "Snowden could have just told everything he knew all at once. But he didn't, he wanted to drag it out for maximum affect [sic], and likely, for his own personal glory."

    First of all, I hate the fact I used the wrong form of effect. Second of all, I notice you cannot dispute what I said. Snowden could have said everything all at once, but he didn't. So allow me to rephrase the second part of that:

    "Snowden could have just told everything he knew all at once. But he didn't, because he almost assuredly wanted to drag it out for maximum effect, and likely, for his own personal glory."

    Does that please you more? Are people always so anal retentive about irrelevant word play?
    You are not much for exactitude, are you?


    First, you typed 'I notice you cannot dispute what I said.'

    Of course I can if I wish - all I have to do is to start typing. How effective it is would have to be seen - but I certainly can dispute it.

    Unless you believe I am physically unable to type on my computer - then there is no way you can know that I 'cannot dispute what I (you) said'.


    Second, if I was Snowden, I would certainly not say everything I knew - then my value would drop to zip. What country that hates America (like Venezuela - who offered him asylum) wants a spy with nothing to say?

    If you don't believe that - I don't really care.


    Third, your rephrase is better - but it still is wanting.

    'Almost assuredly'?

    'as·sured (-shrd)
    adj.
    1. Made certain; guaranteed'

    assuredly - definition of assuredly by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.


    The only way you could 'almost guarantee' what his wants are is if he specifically said what they are regarding that subject.

    Since he did not - to my knowledge - then there is no way you have ANY IDEA what he does or does not want on this particular subject.


    The bottom line is that you have NO CLUE what Edward Snowden wants about anything he has not spoken of.

    You can believe, hope or even prey that you do - but you CANNOT know.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,985

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    You are not much for exactitude, are you? First, you typed 'I notice you cannot dispute what I said.' Of course I can if I wish - all I have to do is to start typing. How effective it is would have to be seen - but I certainly can dispute it. Unless you believe I am physically unable to type on my computer - then there is no way you can know that I 'cannot dispute what I (you) said'.
    Ahh, more irrelevant word games. It seems I keep running into that constantly around here lately.

    Second, if I was Snowden, I would certainly not say everything I knew - then my value would drop to zip. What country that hates America (like Venezuela - who offered him asylum) wants a spy with nothing to say?
    It doesn't matter, because MY point was he could have said everything he wanted to say and then be willing to stand trial.

    If you don't believe that - I don't really care.
    Ahh, but your example misses the point. The point was not about what country would take him, but rather how to get out all of his information if he was in jail.


    Third, your rephrase is better - but it still is wanting.

    'Almost assuredly'?

    'as·sured (-shrd)
    adj.
    1. Made certain; guaranteed'

    assuredly - definition of assuredly by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.


    The only way you could 'almost guarantee' what his wants are is if he specifically said what they are regarding that subject.
    Nope, that's why the word "almost" was there. We can use logic and facts to come up with a guess which is all but certain. The word "almost" is the key. For someone who seems so worried about playing word games, I find it amusing how you ignore them when it works against you.

  7. #127
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Not me. I hope he's brought back to the United States and put on trial. Running away and hiding is cowardly. If he feels this strongly about the wrongs the government was doing, then he should be willing to stand up and fight them.
    By that logic, do you respect Bradley Manning?
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  8. #128
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Invisible View Post
    By that logic, do you respect Bradley Manning?
    Snowden may be able to free Manning, i. e.

    "I have specific details about calls made by Mr. boehner to various escort agencies in Thailand. If Mr. Manning is given a full pardon, this information can be withheld."

  9. #129
    A Man Without A Country
    Mr. Invisible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,961
    Blog Entries
    71

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    I would say it is out of control. How did you ever get to the point of killing US citizens without trial even when there is no belief they are about to undertake a murderous activity.

    How can you agree to suffering surveillance. Do you know how that works? You mention some word and then they see another word and pretty soon you are 'wanted'.

    It is not uncommon even for the CIA and JSOC to be at odds as to who will be killed. Your congress doesn't know what is going on. You have silently become a secret state.

    Your foreign policy is horrendous and I think has created a 'self fulfilling prophesy'.

    So on both fronts, your treatment of the other is awful but the situation has been set up nicely for you to become a totalitarian state always scared of what you say lest the secret police hear.

    Maybe you need to sort both out together. Jeremy Scahill thinks there is a strong likelihood of the US facing much more terrorism on it's soil, not because anyone is a Muslim or is jealous of the US but simply because they have a score to settle for your covert secret operations which you usually do not even hear about. If you keep going it is only going to get worse. As it gets worse more of your freedoms will be taken from you.

    P.S. I am aware that the UK is not much better than the US.
    In regard to the bolded, Congress actually knew about NSA spying:

    "While the breadth of the NSA’s request could lead to harsh condemnations from legislators, most senators, and the vast majority of Republicans in the chamber, are on record voting to prevent Americans from knowing anything about it." (Government secretly collecting Americans’ phone records)

    "President Barack Obama on Friday forcefully defended revelations that the National Security Agency is collecting phone records and electronic communications, saying that Congress was fully briefed and the programs are limited in scope." (Obama Defends NSA Programs, Says Congress Knew About Surveillance)

    "On Friday, the Senate voted to reauthorize the government's warrantless surveillance program, with hawkish Democrats joining with Republicans to block every effort to curtail the government's sweeping spying powers." (Senate to Intel Agencies: We Don't Need to Know How Often You Spy on Americans | Mother Jones)


    IMO, that only shows a system of complete and utter complicity in regards to spying on Americans.
    "And in the end, we were all just humans, drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness."

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    re: Edward Snowden Asylum To Be Offered By Venezuela,President Nicolás Maduro Says[W:271]

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    Nope, that's why the word "almost" was there. We can use logic and facts to come up with a guess which is all but certain. The word "almost" is the key. For someone who seems so worried about playing word games, I find it amusing how you ignore them when it works against you.
    So you can almost guarantee that you know what he wants?

    By that nonsensical logic, you can almost guarantee anything.

    I can almost guarantee that you are a goat typing on a keyboard.

    Or you are Edward Snowden himself.




    So SF696 can almost guarantee that he knows what Edward Snowden wants.

    LOL

    Whatever pal.



    The fact remains that you do not know what he wants - and you admitted you do not.

    End of discussion...for now.




    Have a nice day.

Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •