Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 236

Thread: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    L5
    Last Seen
    01-17-14 @ 12:32 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,476
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    digs just.....

    Seriously, we are denied equal standing under the law, that is pure discrimination. The fact that you still can't see this makes me rather sad.
    LGBT or AMERICAN? what(?) South American or? .... Me, I'm from the Planet Earth .....whatever ......

  2. #52
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Wrong. To allow an opinion to be expressed is not to tolerate it, tolerating it would be turning a blind eye to it, to accept it without criticism.
    So now, we're playing Haymarket-style games, twisting the definition of words in order to deny that you said what you clearly said, is that it?
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  3. #53
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    So now, we're playing Haymarket-style games, twisting the definition of words in order to deny that you said what you clearly said, is that it?
    No, I am not letting you interpret my words to mean other than what I meant. You do not get to make up meaning for my words.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #54
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No, I am not letting you interpret my words to mean other than what I meant. You do not get to make up meaning for my words.
    I think the word “tolerate” has a rather clear, universally-understood meaning. When you expressed an unwillingness to tolerate certain opinions that you find disagreeable, then I think it is clear enough what you meant. When called on it, your defense is to try to twist the word “tolerate” to mean something other than what it clearly means in the context in which you initially used it.

    If what you said is not what you meant, then the fault is not mine for responding to what you said.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  5. #55
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    I think the word “tolerate” has a rather clear, universally-understood meaning. When you expressed an unwillingness to tolerate certain opinions that you find disagreeable, then I think it is clear enough what you meant. When called on it, your defense is to try to twist the word “tolerate” to mean something other than what it clearly means in the context in which you initially used it.

    If what you said is not what you meant, then the fault is not mine for responding to what you said.
    I am sorry, but there is nothing in the word "tolerate" nor "intolerant" that suggests or implied or states censorship. That is something you made up.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #56
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am sorry, but there is nothing in the word "tolerate" nor "intolerant" that suggests or implied or states censorship. That is something you made up.
    According to the Wiktionary

    Verb
    tolerate (third-person singular simple present tolerates, present participle tolerating, simple past and past participle tolerated)

    1. To allow (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) to exist or occur without interference.

    If you say that you are unwilling to tolerate a particular belief, then that means that you are not willing to allow this belief to be expressed without interference. To interfere with one's right to express a belief that you do not want to be expressed meets the definition of censorship. To tolerate something is to allow that thing to exist or occur, even if you do not like it. This is what you said you were unwilling to do.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  7. #57
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    According to the Wiktionary

    Verb
    tolerate (third-person singular simple present tolerates, present participle tolerating, simple past and past participle tolerated)

    1. To allow (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) to exist or occur without interference.

    If you say that you are unwilling to tolerate a particular belief, then that means that you are not willing to allow this belief to be expressed without interference. To interfere with one's right to express a belief that you do not want to be expressed meets the definition of censorship. To tolerate something is to allow that thing to exist or occur, even if you do not like it. This is what you said you were unwilling to do.
    Wrong. Not being willing to tolerate does not mean interfere with expression. You can for example work to change beliefs, to expose the flaws in those beliefs, to educate and counter. The censorship bit is not necessary to intolerance, nor implied, nor suggested by it.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #58
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Wrong. Not being willing to tolerate does not mean interfere with expression. You can for example work to change beliefs, to expose the flaws in those beliefs, to educate and counter. The censorship bit is not necessary to intolerance, nor implied, nor suggested by it.
    If you get to redefine a word retroactively, to claim that it means whatever you meant it to mean, rather than what everyone understand sit to mean, then that word really means nothing at all.

    I suppose we could continue this silly line of argument all night, but it will not change, nor even conceal, your obvious intent, which is to play silly semantic games now to deny that you said what you earlier clearly said.

    Wouldn't it be better just to admit that you were mistaken with what you said before than to keep playing this game?
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  9. #59
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:26 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,331
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    If you get to redefine a word retroactively, to claim that it means whatever you meant it to mean, rather than what everyone understand sit to mean, then that word really means nothing at all.

    I suppose we could continue this silly line of argument all night, but it will not change, nor even conceal, your obvious intent, which is to play silly semantic games now to deny that you said what you earlier clearly said.

    Wouldn't it be better just to admit that you were mistaken with what you said before than to keep playing this game?
    I am not redefining the word, I am not letting you twist it to mean more than it is.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #60
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: NOM’s July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Actually, they did.
    Not even close.

    They were beaten and lynched. They were denied jobs, and access to stores and other businesses. They were arrested and jailed simply for who they were or daring to hang out in bars together (that's what caused the Stonewall Riots). They were reviled in Churches as abominations. They were indentified as mentally ill, locked up in mental facilities and forced to undergo "experimental" techniques and electroshock "therapy."

    Soooo, yeah I think they have a right to claim systematic oppression similar to any other historically oppressed groups in the good ole U.S. of A.
    Except for the fact that they, unlike blacks, had the option of concealing their homosexuality. Their oppression was not even close to what the blacks faced in severity or volume. The comparison is false, and insulting. They need to illustrate their own strifes, and make posters and memes specific to their own struggles, instead of constantly jumping on the coat tails of the black community.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •