Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324
Results 231 to 236 of 236

Thread: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

  1. #231
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    When did I say that? Of course they can... depending on context.
    What context is that?


    Except that you have failed to prove your argument. Unlike me.
    When did that happen?

    You should write a paper, you apparently solved a long-time issue amongst the philosophy community. I can't believe I missed such a major milestone in the advancement of mankind which occurred right in front of me.

    Whether one is talking about themselves/an individual or society in general. I would think this would be obvious.
    Talking about morals that apply to themselves or actions that apply to themselves?

    Because some folks seem to believe that morality is universal. Which it is not.
    As far as I see, somebody made a claim that something was immoral and your response was that morality was relative. I have to assume that you were either debunking their point or trying to spark an unrelated philosophical debate. Clearly, if you believe morality is relative and you believe it's appropriate to speak their mind on morality, you would simply note their opinion but would have no reason to point out that their opinion is their opinion unless it being their opinion was somehow a detriment. Which, of course, is impossible, because all morals are just opinions. Unless you think all morals are bad.

    This is getting hard to follow.



    To some individuals and to certain areas of society.
    Do you believe our marriage laws are moral for a societal perspective? How about a personal perspective?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  2. #232
    Guru
    Republic Now!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Seen
    09-12-14 @ 11:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Some morals are relative, some are absolute.
    Sorry to cut out a bit from your post, but I'd like to point out that it's impossible to make such a distinction because it's impossible to separate the two. Even if you use the natural law theory that some morals are set by a higher power, which of these laws apply and which don't are impossible to differentiate because while I can say the law against theft makes sense naturally (or, if I was religious, that my higher power compels me to believe so), another individual can merely state that theft does not seem wrong naturally to them, or that their higher power does not compel them to believe so. How, then, do you state that this is certainty an absolute moral?
    One who makes himself a worm cannot complain when tread upon.

  3. #233
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    What do you consider moral justification? Homosexuality is pretty immoral.
    To you, not to everyone else. And this is why morality is subjective.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #234
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Some morals are relative, some are absolute. Mankind extends morals based on a relative nature with the majority/those in power dictating what is right and wrong. However, there exists a moral code set by God that is absolute under which all humans will be judged. Homosexuality is sin, humans can ignore that and set their own societal values on it but at the end of the day in the eyes of God it is still sin and this is absolute. It's much like a personal opinion vs a legal system. To scale it down a bit we can make a comparison to the legal system. A household may have the opinion that it's ok to steal. Their moral code may be that if you have the strength and power to take something then that thing belongs to you, a survival of the fittest attitude. They can hold their belief and steal, but the legal system does not care. The absolute letter of the law says that it is illegal to steal and when caught and judged those who stole won't have a leg to stand on, their personal morals or relative morals for their household are wrong and that does that excuse their theft. In much the same way humanity can create relative morals for itself, but the absolute moral code still dictates what is right and wrong. The fact that a judge exists (God) with higher authority and ultimate judgement goes beyond the jurisdiction of man and when contrasting the two, the absolute morals are what is right and the relative morals of man are what is wrong.

    Society can accept homosexuality, society can scream and pander that it's morally acceptable and equal to heterosexuality. But at the end of the day, in light of the absolute moral code that governs all existence, homosexuality is wrong and that will not change. Under the absolute moral code individuals will be judged, it doesn't matter what individuals foolishly do with their societies or personal opinions on morals. Truth is knowable, absolute morality exists. Society can do what it wants but those relative morals can indeed be wrong and will indeed be judged by that which is absolute.
    You cannot prove this. You can believe it, but others believe differently and that is why all morality is subjective, not just some. It is also why "homosexuality is a sin" is a subjective statement. You can't prove it either way on this plane of existence. It could be a "sin" in God's eyes, or it could also be completely fine, or heterosexuality could be the true sin and we really were meant to clone each other in order to reproduce and reproducing via sex is truly wrong whereas using artificial means is completely fine. No one knows truly until they die, because you cannot prove what God truly wants. If we could, there would not be thousands of religions.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #235
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I see what you're doing, but sadly you are so far mistaken.

    It's not "my opinion vs. your opinion" it's "there is 1 absolute truth, all else is wrong." The Bible is the Word of God with Yahweh being the One True God. Proof is evident in fulfilled Biblical prophecy and the works of the Holy Spirit.

    Many choose to reject the Bible, they refuse from the wickedness and stubbornness in their hearts that prophecy is fulfilled. Many are uncomfortable with living by God's moral code so they choose to reject it, "rationalize" it away, or flat out just refuse to be rational on the issue. The fact remains that there is 1 truth, and that truth if the Bible. All else is wrong, there is no changing that. People can refuse to believe the Bible, they can choose to ignore the factual basis behind it being the word of God, they can adopt some other belief. But at the end of the day people, all beliefs, and all actions will be judged by the One true God under the truth. No exception, that's just the fact of this world
    It is your belief, and beliefs cannot be proven. You can believe it with all your heart, but it doesn't make you automatically right.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #236
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,807

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    What do you consider moral justification? Homosexuality is pretty immoral.
    Philisophical question:

    Why is homosexuality "pretty immoral?"
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    Weíll say what? Something like ďnothing happenedĒ ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •