Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 236

Thread: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    I was saying that it is ridiculous, though I know it will probably be reality as America's morality descends even further.
    While the plights are completely different, the same thing was said about interracial marriage. Hell even to this day my Uncle says the same thing about interracial marriage that it is immoral.

    I think you are on the wrong side of history, but that is just my opinion.

  2. #122
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more @: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? | The Raw Story

    Ohhh silly hate groups.. [/FONT][/COLOR]They will be on the wrong side of history..
    You know, I bet if we took the same money, benefits and tax breaks away from married couples who don't have children this whole homosexual marriage thing would completely fall apart. It is not about "rights" it's about greed, plain and simple. If there were no monetary/benefit gains, there wouldn't be enough people that actually give a damn to fill a Ford Pinto.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  3. #123
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    They both have to do with oppression. Many of those looking to be recognized as married will get no actual tax breaks, and some will in fact owe more money to the government due to their marriage.
    I'll say this again. Marriage rights are not on the same level as civil rights. You can call it oppression or you can call it discrimination and if packaged and presented in the right way both terms are applicable. But what you can't do is to claim that the two movements are anywhere near the same in terms of the hardship endured or the historical significance that each represent.

    People are actually "going there" and it's a freaking joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    You know, I bet if we took the same money, benefits and tax breaks away from married couples who don't have children this whole homosexual marriage thing would completely fall apart. It is not about "rights" it's about greed, plain and simple. If there were no monetary/benefit gains, there wouldn't be enough people that actually give a damn to fill a Ford Pinto.
    Fine, but to do that, you would have to get most of the greedy straight people to agree to it. Hmmmmm wonder why that hasn't been done? Oh yeah, because they are greedy.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I'll say this again. Marriage rights are not on the same level as civil rights. You can call it oppression or you can call it discrimination and if packaged and presented in the right way both terms are applicable. But what you can't do is to claim that the two movements are anywhere near the same in terms of the hardship endured or the historical significance that each represent.

    People are actually "going there" and it's a freaking joke.
    I agree you can't compare the two in terms of hardship, but I disagree on the historical significance. Historically, it will be of great significance.

  6. #126
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I agree you can't compare the two in terms of hardship, but I disagree on the historical significance. Historically, it will be of great significance.
    When they do approve it, they should also pick AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell" as our national anthem, we certainly are not the "land of the free" or "Home of the Brave" anymore. (Anthem change not related solely to this subject but general socio-political-economic condition of the US).
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  7. #127
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    I agree you can't compare the two in terms of hardship, but I disagree on the historical significance. Historically, it will be of great significance.
    The civil rights movement granted equality to millions of minorities who, prior to the Civil Rights Act, were LEGALLY discriminated against and denied the basic human rights that were granted to whites and protected by the constitution. It ended the legal practice of treating minorities as second class citizens.

    In contrast, "gay marriage" would grant homosexuals the right/privilege to marry someone of the same sex. Something that the majority of gay people will never do anyway but hey... it's probably comforting for them to know that if they ever want to, the option is on the table. I get it. I really do but c'mon... it absolutely does not carry the same historical significance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    When they do approve it, they should also pick AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell" as our national anthem, we certainly are not the "land of the free" or "Home of the Brave" anymore. (Anthem change not related solely to this subject but general socio-political-economic condition of the US).
    LOL you want to deny the freedom of two people getting married and you say we aren't the "land of the FREE" or "Home of the Brave" if we allow them to get married? You are funny.

    You are free to move to such a "moral" country somewhere in the ME if you want religion to rule.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    The civil rights movement granted equality to millions of minorities who, prior to the Civil Rights Act, were LEGALLY discriminated against and denied the basic human rights that were granted to whites and protected by the constitution. It ended the legal practice of treating minorities as second class citizens.

    In contrast, "gay marriage" would grant homosexuals the right/privilege to marry someone of the same sex. Something that the majority of gay people will never do anyway but hey... it's probably comforting for them to know that if they ever want to, the option is on the table. I get it. I really do but c'mon... it absolutely does not carry the same historical significance.
    Again, YOU are making the comparison to gay marriage and the black civil rights movement, I'm not. I said it will be HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANT. Not that it would be greater significance than the civil rights movement.

    You do realize that things can be historically significant and not be the same as the black civil right's movement right?

  10. #130
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,724
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: NOMís July 4th message: Are you LGBT or are you American? [W:45]

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Again, YOU are making the comparison to gay marriage and the black civil rights movement, I'm not. I said it will be HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANT. Not that it would be greater significance than the civil rights movement.

    You do realize that things can be historically significant and not be the same as the black civil right's movement right?
    That is not what I am doing at all.

    I am pointing out how ridiculous it is for people to try to piggyback this issue the way that they are. Jesus Christ, look at the freaking OP!! "Just like in the 60's, these people will be on the wrong side of history." The ONLY purpose of doing this is to add a level of significance to SSM that it does not have on it's own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •