Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 102

Thread: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yes, and that was kinda the point. The OP source says this(U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study):



    You said this:



    Now, one of you is wrong, and the OP source is about a million times more credible, which is why I asked for some evidence to back up your claim.
    First of all no one pays an ETR that is equal to the bracket they are in, due to a progressive tax system. Next, we just came out of the deep recession (some think we are still in it) so companies may have had NOL tax carryforwards into 2010. Also, we ( the administration and congress) put special tax credit on capital spending and R&D to stimulate spending. So unless that was a bad thing it explains another reason for the gap. As to global companies, you need to look at their ETR versus that country's tax bracket, not ours or you compare apples and oranges. Not sure that the article picked up payroll taxes where the company picks up the other half. If people want to look at that and say that the individuals who pay no income taxes in the U.S. but pay payroll taxes, then this should be included in the corporate number.

    I also find it humorous that so many OP on this site take a sliver of truth and then try to make a broader argument that they is not really true, but most people are not close enough to the subject to passionately debate. Sort of like how we know if a candidate is good or bad through 30 second commercials.

  2. #92
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    First of all no one pays an ETR that is equal to the bracket they are in, due to a progressive tax system. Next, we just came out of the deep recession (some think we are still in it) so companies may have had NOL tax carryforwards into 2010. Also, we ( the administration and congress) put special tax credit on capital spending and R&D to stimulate spending. So unless that was a bad thing it explains another reason for the gap. As to global companies, you need to look at their ETR versus that country's tax bracket, not ours or you compare apples and oranges. Not sure that the article picked up payroll taxes where the company picks up the other half. If people want to look at that and say that the individuals who pay no income taxes in the U.S. but pay payroll taxes, then this should be included in the corporate number.

    I also find it humorous that so many OP on this site take a sliver of truth and then try to make a broader argument that they is not really true, but most people are not close enough to the subject to passionately debate. Sort of like how we know if a candidate is good or bad through 30 second commercials.
    Why are you arguing against things I never said, and doing it by saying things I did say?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #93
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Why are you arguing against things I never said, and doing it by saying things I did say?
    Was not arguing just pointing out why using one simplistic number is meaningless and taken out of context. If you agree, great!

  4. #94
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:49 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,341
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    Was not arguing just pointing out why using one simplistic number is meaningless and taken out of context. If you agree, great!
    Good thing I did not do that. I simply proved a poster wrong because he made stuff up. That you failed to follow the conversation and understand what happened is not my fault.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #95
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Good thing I did not do that. I simply proved a poster wrong because he made stuff up. That you failed to follow the conversation and understand what happened is not my fault.
    Relax it is a holiday. Don't be so angry.

  6. #96
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,383

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    You can't force corporations to pay taxes on losses due to the cost of doing business. It's not fair and it doesn't work

    If you have a business and you gross $100,000 this year and it costs you $75,000 to operate, do you think you should be allowed to deduct that $75,000 loss, or should you have to pay a $35,000 tax bill?
    Apparently you can't force corporations to pay taxes on profits either. The more profits they make the less they have been paying.


  7. #97
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,129

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    We have one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world, it's bad for business. The real joke is someone bitching who is totally unaffected one way or the other by this.
    Except very, very few companies actually pay tax at the 35% marginal rate. In fact, corporations are paying less and less and less of the total burden, even though profits are at all time highs (see chart)

    Tax Revenue - TypeTaxVsRevenue.jpg

    Multi-nationals hide behind transfer pricing schemes that allow for off-shoring book profits even though the actual profits are created domestically. They also have tons of schemes that allow for tax deferment (book-tax differences), including the ability to write-off capital assets in the year acquired, rather than depreciating them over their useful lives as is required by generally accepted accounting principles.

    The real "victims" of high marginal corporate rates are very successful domestic corporations that do not use capital and do not have operations outside of the US.


    That all said, I would be in-favor of lowering the marginal rate to 25% with much much tighter rules on transfer pricing and curtailment of Section 170 deductions (writing off of capital assets at date of acquisition).... of course, large companies would never go for such a change, as it might mean that actually have to pay tax.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 07-04-13 at 12:48 PM.

  8. #98
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Except very, very few companies actually pay tax at the 35% marginal rate. In fact, corporations are paying less and less and less of the total burden, even though profits are at all time highs (see chart)

    Tax Revenue - TypeTaxVsRevenue.jpg

    Multi-nationals hide behind transfer pricing schemes that allow for off-shoring book profits even though the actual profits are created domestically. They also have tons of schemes that allow for tax deferment, including the ability to write-off capital assets in the year acquired, rather than depreciating them over their useful lives as is required by generally accepted accounting principles.

    The real "victims" of high marginal corporate rates are very successful domestic corporations that do not use capital and do not have operations outside of the US.


    That all said, I would be in-favor of lowering the marginal rate to 25% with much much tighter rules on transfer pricing and curtailment of Section 170 deductions (writing off of capital assets at date of acquisition).... of course, large companies would never go for such a change, as it might mean that actually have to pay tax.
    So corporations are evil because they hide behind the law!!! If you don't like the law elect politicians who will change it.

    As Obama has oft stated: Elections have consequences.

  9. #99
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,129

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    So corporations are evil because they hide behind the law!!!
    It often amazes me what kind of conclusions people draw from argument. People should read what is written and not ascribe their own prejudices to what is said.

    I, for one, made no statement about "evil corporations" or suggested they are hiding behind a law. I was showing a mega trend (corporations are paying less of the tax bill) AND telling the read why that is so (the current tax code). I made the assertion that the current tax law is needs reformation and the rate needs to be lowered. I said BOTH need to happen, but they will not as the most powerful corporations would rather have high rates and favorable accounting than lower rates.

    People have the right to organize their affairs to pay the minimum tax consistent with the law. There is even a SCOTUS decision that supports that notion. What I advocate is changes to the law.

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    If you don't like the law elect politicians who will change it.

    As Obama has oft stated: Elections have consequences.
    With all do respect, a rather silly statement on a political discussion board. You could write this as a response to each and every argument on DP.... which would make DP pointless as anyone's opinion could merely be answered with "if you don't like it..."

    Would you like to try a less emotional, more productive response?
    Last edited by upsideguy; 07-04-13 at 12:52 PM.

  10. #100
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,359

    Re: U.S. Companies Pay Just One-Third Of The Legal Tax Rate: GAO Study

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    It often amazes me what kind of conclusions people draw from argument. People should read what is written and not ascribe their own prejudices to what is said.

    I, for one, made no statement about "evil corporations" or suggested they are hiding behind a law. I was showing a mega trend (corporations are paying less of the tax bill) AND telling the read why that is so (the current tax code). I made the assertion that the current tax law is needs reformation and the rate needs to be lowered. I said BOTH need to happen, but they will not as the most powerful corporations would rather have high rates and favorable accounting than lower rates.

    People have the right to organize their affairs to pay the minimum tax consistent with the law. There is even a SCOTUS decision that supports that notion. What I advocate is changes to the law.



    With all do respect, a rather silly statement on a political discussion board. You could write this as a response to each and every argument on DP.... which would make DP pointless as anyone's opinion could merely be answered with "if you don't like it..."

    Would you like to try a less emotional, more productive response?
    Try re-reading what you wrote, for starters. You say that corporations are hiding behind transfer pricing what you call schemes and asset write offs that are legal under the current tax system. I may have enhanced what you wrote using the word evil, but the implication in my view is clearly there.

    Many people think we need corporate tax reform. Whatever shape it takes it will help some companies and hurt others.

    So rather than complain that corporations are doing what most Americans do, which is to pay as little tax as is legally required, state how you would fix the problem.

    As an example what are your complaints in regards to how transfer pricing is calculated, and if so how would you change it. You probably know that if the company is on any size the IRS has gone over how this is calculated.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •