Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comment

  1. #21
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,097

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    Quote Originally Posted by 66gardeners View Post
    We're talking about Texas here. I wouldn't live in Texas because it seems the insane is running the asylum in that state.
    On behalf of my fellow Texans, I thank you.

  2. #22
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,097

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Um, no. I'm pretty sure it was based in the line, "I'm going to shoot up a school."
    Yes, this really isn't the best time to make such comments. Now, suppose he'd have made good on that threat. How many people would bitch about the authorities not doing anything despite the kid clearly stating his intent?

  3. #23
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,259

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yes, this really isn't the best time to make such comments. Now, suppose he'd have made good on that threat. How many people would bitch about the authorities not doing anything despite the kid clearly stating his intent?
    I can agree in today's world it was not the best time to post such comments on facebook.
    However, since the lol, etc was added at the end and taking the post in context, is was sarcasim.

    It is a shame the US has evolved to the point it is in. A few bad apples makes everyone a suspect.

    I for one am tired of the political correctness and having to watch what you say because you may offend someone, or what you say is taken as a literal threat.

    LE should have talked to the teens and parents. End of case.

    Yep, we are also a country of its always someone elses fault.

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Yes, this really isn't the best time to make such comments. Now, suppose he'd have made good on that threat. How many people would bitch about the authorities not doing anything despite the kid clearly stating his intent?
    Exactly. There have been cases where people have made threats online and carried out those threats, but they were initially ignored because people assumed they were joking or being sarcastic and they didn't want to "take it too seriously". The guy probably should not have been arrested, but taking his comment seriously and investigating it is not out of line.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    12-30-17 @ 04:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    However, since the lol, etc was added at the end and taking the post in context, is was sarcasim.
    Posting "lol" after such a comment could just as easily indicate psychopathy as it could indicate sarcasm. The problem is that you're looking at this from the perspective of knowing that the guy wasn't serious. If the guy had been serious, we'd be looking at the same post and saying, "what a psychopath. I can't believe he laughed about it."

  6. #26
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,097

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    Quote Originally Posted by mike2810 View Post
    I can agree in today's world it was not the best time to post such comments on facebook.
    However, since the lol, etc was added at the end and taking the post in context, is was sarcasim.

    It is a shame the US has evolved to the point it is in. A few bad apples makes everyone a suspect.

    I for one am tired of the political correctness and having to watch what you say because you may offend someone, or what you say is taken as a literal threat.

    LE should have talked to the teens and parents. End of case.

    Yep, we are also a country of its always someone elses fault.
    I agree that is was probably just sarcasm. He wanted a reaction and, boy, did he get one.

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Exactly. There have been cases where people have made threats online and carried out those threats, but they were initially ignored because people assumed they were joking or being sarcastic and they didn't want to "take it too seriously". The guy probably should not have been arrested, but taking his comment seriously and investigating it is not out of line.
    Yeah, he probably shouldn't be in jail but I have no problem with authorities looking into the potential threat. I imagine the thinking right now is to take all such threats seriously, at least, initially.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    I wouldn't arrest him, but I don't think it'd be too far out of the question for a black-and-white to do a quick drive-by that day, unless they're just strapped on time.

  8. #28
    Sage
    mike2810's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    arizona
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    15,259

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Posting "lol" after such a comment could just as easily indicate psychopathy as it could indicate sarcasm. The problem is that you're looking at this from the perspective of knowing that the guy wasn't serious. If the guy had been serious, we'd be looking at the same post and saying, "what a psychopath. I can't believe he laughed about it."
    I never said LE should not investigate. It seems that if they did a proper one, it was clear the teenager had no criminal intent.

  9. #29
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,682

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I think the addition of eating their still beating hearts pushed this into the realm of "obvious satire".
    When we said 'rip out your still beating heart and make you eat it' or 'I'll eat your still beating heart' you'd best hope it was satire...

    You couldn't be 100% sure, it is a classic macho line from my grunt days. just saying without knowing someone in person, what is said on the interwebz can easily be taken the wrong way.

    Who knows the full history of this 'innocent' kid. I doubt he never resorted to 'who-ahh' crap talk like that before.

    Quite a few 'patriots' in here get carried away with loose talk of revolution and the like. Most are just blowing smoke out of their 4th point of contact, but ya never really know...

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Teen Justin Carter Jailed In Texas After Making Sarcastic Threat In Facebook Comm

    Convicting for that kid's remark is inconsistent with the laws and courts cases that that have established the parameters of an illegal threat.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •