Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 313

Thread: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

  1. #251
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Here's an interesting tidbit from the newsletter Tax Notes. As we all know by now, the IRS applies extra scrutiny to a group applying for tax-exempt status if it suspects the group is political in nature. In 2010, they decided that having "tea party" in a group's name was sufficient to raise a red flag.

    The Inspector General's report about this included an audit of 298 groups that had been given special scrutiny. Of these, 96 had "tea party," "patriots," or "9-12 project" in their names. But that's all we know. We have no idea how many of the 298 groups were liberal and how many were conservative, because the IRS doesn't release the name of groups that have applied for tax-exempt status.

    However, the IRS does publish the names of groups that have received special scrutiny and been approved for tax-exempt status. They recently released a list of 176 organizations that have been approved since 2010, so Martin Sullivan checked each one to figure out if it was liberal or conservative. Here's what he found:

    122 conservative
    48 liberal/nonconservative
    6 unknown
    This doesn't tell us anything definitive about the entire set of groups that got special scrutiny. If the whole set is similar to the approved set, then about two-thirds were conservative and one-third liberal—most likely because of the boom in new tea party groups in 2010. But that's just a guess.

    One thing isn't a guess, however: Two-thirds of the groups who were approved for tax-exempt status were conservative. If the IRS was on a partisan witch hunt against conservative groups, that's sure an odd way of showing it, isn't it?

    Report Says IRS Approved Tax-Exempt Status For Twice as Many Conservative Groups as Liberal Groups | Mother Jones
    And it's been well reported that there was a flurry of approvals following the revelation that the IRS has been sandbagging the applications. The point is, they treated the different groups differently, which has been well documented and admitted to by not only the IRS, but the WH.

    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  2. #252
    Sage
    mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    DC Metro
    Last Seen
    11-13-16 @ 12:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    22,499

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, actually it does not
    Yes, it does.
    ”People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.” --- Ben Franklin

    Quote Originally Posted by The German View Post
    Sterotypes are mostly based on truths.

  3. #253
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    And it's been well reported that there was a flurry of approvals following the revelation that the IRS has been sandbagging the applications.
    This is a study of groups since 2010, if you have some evidence that all these con groups gained approval recently, present, back whatever point you are trying to make

    The point is, they treated the different groups differently, which has been well documented and admitted to by not only the IRS, but the WH.
    Again, BOLA included both con and lib groups.

    Another data point:

    In fact, the only known 501(c)(4) applicant to have its status denied happens to be a progressive group: the Maine chapter of Emerge America, which trains Democratic women to run for office. Although the group did no electoral work, and didn’t participate in independent expenditure campaign activity either, its partisan status apparently disqualified it from being categorized as working for the “common good.”

    Meet the group the IRS actually denied: Democrats! - Salon.com
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #254
    Sage
    Khayembii Communique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,897

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    No, this is another case of you sidestepping the truth. The report indicates that conservative groups were unfairly scrutinized. This report says...if you bother to read it...that though leftist groups were also scrutinized, they received their tax exempt status FAR more rapidly than did the conservative groups. You should actually read, and stop repeating talking points.
    Where does it say that? Provide the quote you're referring to.
    "I do not claim that every incident in the history of empire can be explained in directly economic terms. Economic interests are filtered through a political process, policies are implemented by a complex state apparatus, and the whole system generates its own momentum."

  5. #255
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    It confirms that he agreed the IRS targeted conservative groups.
    Yeah, he didn't have all the facts since Issa deep sixed what he could. Obama should never trust any Republican. They are liars to the core. He should have assumed Issa was lying and gone from there. Indeed, he should call on an investigation of Issa's involvement with the IRS internal audit. He apparently concealed important information about conservative targeting of progressive groups.

  6. #256
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Seen
    09-18-16 @ 03:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,029

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by mac View Post
    And it's been well reported that there was a flurry of approvals following the revelation that the IRS has been sandbagging the applications. The point is, they treated the different groups differently, which has been well documented and admitted to by not only the IRS, but the WH.

    Yeah, the GOP operatives in the Cincinnati group targeted progressive groups. Issa tried to conceal that fact, but now it's out.

    So much for the conservative narrative.

  7. #257
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,791

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    This is a study of groups since 2010, if you have some evidence that all these con groups gained approval recently, present, back whatever point you are trying to make

    Again, BOLA included both con and lib groups.

    Another data point:

    In fact, the only known 501(c)(4) applicant to have its status denied happens to be a progressive group: the Maine chapter of Emerge America, which trains Democratic women to run for office. Although the group did no electoral work, and didn’t participate in independent expenditure campaign activity either, its partisan status apparently disqualified it from being categorized as working for the “common good.”

    Meet the group the IRS actually denied: Democrats! - Salon.com
    Thats just it, Ive posted the info from 538.com about this situation. From 2010 to the election they approved only 4 groups under the naming criteria. Despite the supposed information that they had a flood of conservative groups, they only approved 4? How can that possibly be right?

    Here is your link: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes...onal-scrutiny/

    Here is your graph:
    fivethirtyeight tea party approvals.png

    The IRS approved a bunch of groups immediately after the investigation began back in 2012. But many, many more were left in limbo where they did not know what their status was/is.

  8. #258
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Thats just it, Ive posted the info
    I see you skipped over my previous post that goes a bit deeper than the 538 post:



    Here's an interesting tidbit from the newsletter Tax Notes. As we all know by now, the IRS applies extra scrutiny to a group applying for tax-exempt status if it suspects the group is political in nature. In 2010, they decided that having "tea party" in a group's name was sufficient to raise a red flag.

    The Inspector General's report about this included an audit of 298 groups that had been given special scrutiny. Of these, 96 had "tea party," "patriots," or "9-12 project" in their names. But that's all we know. We have no idea how many of the 298 groups were liberal and how many were conservative, because the IRS doesn't release the name of groups that have applied for tax-exempt status.

    However, the IRS does publish the names of groups that have received special scrutiny and been approved for tax-exempt status. They recently released a list of 176 organizations that have been approved since 2010, so Martin Sullivan checked each one to figure out if it was liberal or conservative. Here's what he found:

    122 conservative
    48 liberal/nonconservative
    6 unknown
    This doesn't tell us anything definitive about the entire set of groups that got special scrutiny. If the whole set is similar to the approved set, then about two-thirds were conservative and one-third liberal—most likely because of the boom in new tea party groups in 2010. But that's just a guess.

    One thing isn't a guess, however: Two-thirds of the groups who were approved for tax-exempt status were conservative. If the IRS was on a partisan witch hunt against conservative groups, that's sure an odd way of showing it, isn't it?
    Report Says IRS Approved Tax-Exempt Status For Twice as Many Conservative Groups as Liberal Groups | Mother Jones

    Let the nit-pic posting commence....
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #259
    Sage
    OpportunityCost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,791

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    I see you skipped over my previous post that goes a bit deeper than the 538 post:



    Here's an interesting tidbit from the newsletter Tax Notes. As we all know by now, the IRS applies extra scrutiny to a group applying for tax-exempt status if it suspects the group is political in nature. In 2010, they decided that having "tea party" in a group's name was sufficient to raise a red flag.

    The Inspector General's report about this included an audit of 298 groups that had been given special scrutiny. Of these, 96 had "tea party," "patriots," or "9-12 project" in their names. But that's all we know. We have no idea how many of the 298 groups were liberal and how many were conservative, because the IRS doesn't release the name of groups that have applied for tax-exempt status.

    However, the IRS does publish the names of groups that have received special scrutiny and been approved for tax-exempt status. They recently released a list of 176 organizations that have been approved since 2010, so Martin Sullivan checked each one to figure out if it was liberal or conservative. Here's what he found:

    122 conservative
    48 liberal/nonconservative
    6 unknown
    This doesn't tell us anything definitive about the entire set of groups that got special scrutiny. If the whole set is similar to the approved set, then about two-thirds were conservative and one-third liberal—most likely because of the boom in new tea party groups in 2010. But that's just a guess.

    One thing isn't a guess, however: Two-thirds of the groups who were approved for tax-exempt status were conservative. If the IRS was on a partisan witch hunt against conservative groups, that's sure an odd way of showing it, isn't it?
    Report Says IRS Approved Tax-Exempt Status For Twice as Many Conservative Groups as Liberal Groups | Mother Jones

    Let the nit-pic posting commence....
    Damn near all of them were approved after the election and the IG examination. Timing is very important on this issue because a hold up in the lead in to the election means more than approving even ALL of the groups after the election.

  10. #260
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: IRS conspiracies fall apart as BOLO list targeting ‘progressive’ groups revealed

    Quote Originally Posted by OpportunityCost View Post
    Damn near all of them were approved after the election and the IG examination. Timing is very important on this issue because a hold up in the lead in to the election means more than approving even ALL of the groups after the election.
    I see your argument is reduced to whinning about "the timing".

    Yawn, it used to be all about how put upon the con groups were.

    Next up, con groups complain about the stationary sent to them by the IRS.

    I can't wait for the next nit you pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •