Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 61

Thread: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

  1. #1
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    President Obama’s renewed push close the Guantánamo Bay prison is hitting a wall of resistance in Congress.

    Obama announced to great fanfare last month that he was restarting the effort to close the prison by transferring detainees cleared for release. He followed up this week by appointing a new envoy at the State Department to focus on the effort.

    But Congress moved quickly to thwart Obama’s plans. The House voted against lifting restrictions on moving detainees to the United States and approved an amendment that prevents the president from using funds to return some detainees to Yemen

    Meanwhile, an amendment from Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.) that would have lifted the restrictions on transfers from Guantanamo was rejected, with 21 Democrats and all but two Republicans voting against it.

    “It’s a very big problem, I think a lot of [lawmakers] would like to not have to think about it,” said Andrea Prasow, communications director for Human Rights Watch. “I find it incredibly depressing that’s the state of our politics right now.”

    Read more: Obama

    Apparently closing a facility that violates human rights, and that needed to be closed a long time ago, and barring prisoners to be transferred that have already have been transferred is "being weak on terrorism". Can we move away form these idiotic talking points and actually just close the **** hole down already? It hurts are international reputation, Islamic extremist terrorists use it as propaganda to recruit people to "fight against the great Satan", and its inherently unjust.


  2. #2
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Read more: Obama

    Apparently closing a facility that violates human rights, and that needed to be closed a long time ago, and barring prisoners to be transferred that have already have been transferred is "being weak on terrorism". Can we move away form these idiotic talking points and actually just close the **** hole down already? It hurts are international reputation, Islamic extremist terrorists use it as propaganda to recruit people to "fight against the great Satan", and its inherently unjust. [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Why would you, as an American, want to transfer citizens of another country to your country when their country of birth/citizenship doesn't want them back? If these are such model citizens, why don't the governments of the countries they come from allow them to be transferred home?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  3. #3
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Why would you, as an American, want to transfer citizens of another country to your country when their country of birth/citizenship doesn't want them back? If these are such model citizens, why don't the governments of the countries they come from allow them to be transferred home?
    Because its called justice.
    What are they guilty of?


  4. #4
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    Because its called justice.
    What are they guilty of?
    So you believe that America should accept all displaced citizens of the world into your country? I'm sure there are other people in the world who's country of birth has abandoned them or refused them re-enty - do you want them in America? Why aren't you beating the drum for those countries to take their guys back instead of trying to land them in America? Next you'll be wanting to add them to the illegal immigrant amnesty and give them a path to citizenship too.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #5
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    So you believe that America should accept all displaced citizens of the world into your country?
    No. Stick them on the next flight to their home country.

    I'm sure there are other people in the world who's country of birth has abandoned them or refused them re-enty - do you want them in America? Why aren't you beating the drum for those countries to take their guys back instead of trying to land them in America? Next you'll be wanting to add them to the illegal immigrant amnesty and give them a path to citizenship too.
    Never recommended that.. Now did i?


  6. #6
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    They were taken on the battlefield where they could have been killed. Years of 3 hots and a cot in a developed world facility beats a grave. There is no reason why we should return our prisoners to the battlefield.

    Where is your outrage when Americans are taken captive in Iran? Then you support Iran's sovereignty to enforce dark-age law as they wish, not sending people home.

  7. #7
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    No. Stick them on the next flight to their home country.


    Never recommended that.. Now did i?
    Seems to me you did recommend that citizens of another country, who were swept up because they were in a war zone and a perceived threat to American and coalition soldiers, who have now been determined no longer to be a threat, should be transferred to the US mainland as a form of justice. You'll have to clarify what you call justice if you're not suggesting that they will shortly upon arrival on mainland US soil be released - how can you retain in US prison innocent people? - and if you release them, where will they go if they can't be deported to their country of birth/citizenship? Shall they all be released in Kansas?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #8
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Seems to me you did recommend that citizens of another country, who were swept up because they were in a war zone and a perceived threat to American and coalition soldiers, who have now been determined no longer to be a threat, should be transferred to the US mainland as a form of justice. You'll have to clarify what you call justice if you're not suggesting that they will shortly upon arrival on mainland US soil be released - how can you retain in US prison innocent people? - and if you release them, where will they go if they can't be deported to their country of birth/citizenship? Shall they all be released in Kansas?
    They have been cleared to go home back to their home country, they should therefor return home... Dont know how much more clear I can make it.


  9. #9
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,182

    Re: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    They have been cleared to go home back to their home country, they should therefor return home... Dont know how much more clear I can make it.
    As I understand it, their home countries don't want them - do you suggest America invades those countries for the purpose of dropping these guys home?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  10. #10
    Gradualist

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    09-25-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    34,949
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Obama’s Guantánamo push hits wall of resistance in Congress

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    As I understand it, their home countries don't want them - do you suggest America invades those countries for the purpose of dropping these guys home?
    I suggest we stick them on a flight and send them home. Or how bout we work directly with these countries via diplomacy.


Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •