Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 487

Thread: Paula Deen Fired[W:223]

  1. #301
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Paula Deen Fired[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Firing someone for apparently using he 'n' word years ago (which is my understanding of what happened) is being PC.
    She wasn't fired.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    Re: Paula Deen Fired[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Firing someone for apparently using he 'n' word years ago (which is my understanding of what happened) is being PC.
    What someone says or does on their own time (providing it is legal) is none of your employer's business.
    She was a cook after all...not a preacher.

    In this case, I realize that PC correctness is pathetically important to TV producers...so firing her was probably a given.
    But I still say it is none of their business.

    Decent human being's don't fire people for what they legally do in their private lives.
    It may have been fiscally prudent of them to fire her - but it had little/nothing to do with decency, IMO.

    If you think most entertainment producers do things out of decency - you are extremely naive.
    They probably fired her for greed and profit...no other reason (IMO).
    So the Catholic Church isnt decent humans. Got it.

  3. #303
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,249

    Re: Paula Deen Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    You don't tolerate it from others? How you going to prevent it? With more hatred or are you going to overcome it with love and tolerance?

    Listen to Gandhi or Martin Luther King Jr sometime. Never heard them preach about fighting hate with hate. Trust me, I have ways of showing my disdain for racism but its not with stupidity.
    am I going to love racists and become tolerant towards them? No.

    I don't even hate them I just don't associate myself with them, I don't give them the time of day.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  4. #304
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,249

    Re: Paula Deen Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Some stupid cook got fired from her show for saying the 'N' word?

    Sadly PC, but overall, I don't really care.
    beign PC isn't always a bad thing you realise? Many are offended by the N word and they watch the food network so it makes sense for a company to want to distance themselves from her.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Paula Deen Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    beign PC isn't always a bad thing you realise? Many are offended by the N word and they watch the food network so it makes sense for a company to want to distance themselves from her.
    I didn't say it made bad economic sense. It was probably economically prudent.

    But I regret that the world is so PC.

    I am not offended by the 'n' word. I pity the idiots who are racist enough to use it. But it does not offend me.

    I believe free speech is an absolute right that should never be squashed in any way.

    (too bad this board does not think the same way)


    And I later objected to someone saying they fired her/refused to renew her contract out of decency.

    They did it for greed, IMO...no other reason.

  6. #306
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,249

    Re: Paula Deen Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I didn't say it made bad economic sense. It was probably economically prudent.

    But I regret that the world is so PC.

    I am not offended by the 'n' word. I pity the idiots who are racist enough to use it. But it does not offend me.

    I believe free speech is an absolute right that should never be squashed in any way.

    (too bad this board does not think the same way)


    And I later objected to someone saying they fired her/refused to renew her contract out of decency.

    They did it for greed, IMO...no other reason.
    You may not be offended by the N word for millions of other people including millions of black people worldwide the N word represents a dark period of history where their people were stolen, displaced around the globe and became slaves for white imperialism. The word itself was used instead of names, it was used to put them down and kept them in bondage. Free speech is alive and well and no charges will be filed against the women but employers have the right to get rid of anyone who acts in such a way and damages the brand. The "PC" problem is massive in western culture especially when it comes to Christian holidays like Xmas etc but this isn't a case of typical "PC" bull**** this is a women who see's herself as higher than a whole race of people and used a word which has plagued American history. Posters can brush it off as much as they want but the N word has no place in modern society.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Paula Deen Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    You may not be offended by the N word for millions of other people including millions of black people worldwide the N word represents a dark period of history where their people were stolen, displaced around the globe and became slaves for white imperialism. The word itself was used instead of names, it was used to put them down and kept them in bondage. Free speech is alive and well and no charges will be filed against the women but employers have the right to get rid of anyone who acts in such a way and damages the brand. The "PC" problem is massive in western culture especially when it comes to Christian holidays like Xmas etc but this isn't a case of typical "PC" bull**** this is a women who see's herself as higher than a whole race of people and used a word which has plagued American history. Posters can brush it off as much as they want but the N word has no place in modern society.
    Imo, EVERY word has a place in modern society...no matter how stupid/ignorant/erroneous it is.

    A truly modern society is one where any word can be spoken without fear of persecution in any way.

    And a truly advanced society would not be offended by a simple word. It's citizens would have the advanced intellect/maturity to realize that to be immediately offended by the utterance of a single word is simplistic and emotionally immature.

    Saying the 'n' word should not on it's own be offensive. For instance, if a child states it without knowing it's meaning.

    It should only be offensive when the intent of the user of the word is known to be a negative one.

    The offense should be of the intent - not the word.
    Last edited by DA60; 06-25-13 at 01:56 AM.

  8. #308
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,249

    Re: Paula Deen Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Imo, EVERY word has a place in modern society...no matter how stupid/ignorant/erroneous it is.

    A truly modern society is one where any word can be spoken without fear of persecution in any way.

    And a truly advanced society would not be offended by a simple word. It's citizens would have the advanced intellect/maturity to realize that to be immediately offended by the utterance of a single word is simplistic and emotionally immature.

    Saying the 'n' word should not on it's own be offensive. For instance, if a child states it without knowing it's meaning.

    It should only be offensive when the intent of the user of the word is known to be a negative one.

    The offense should be of the intent - not the word.
    Don't understand your reasoning here, how can a society progress and move on when it hangs on to words from the past which represent persecution and slavery? Intent is irrelevant but in this particular case very clear however the word itself comes from a dark place in human history and should not be tolerated.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  9. #309
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,261

    Re: Paula Deen Fired[W:223]

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    She wasn't fired.
    She was told not to let the door smack her in the ass on the way out though. Ahhhh - the politics of food preparation.

  10. #310
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Paula Deen Fired

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Don't understand your reasoning here, how can a society progress and move on when it hangs on to words from the past which represent persecution and slavery? Intent is irrelevant but in this particular case very clear however the word itself comes from a dark place in human history and should not be tolerated.
    The offense should be of the intent - not the word.

    How you can say that someone that says the 'n' word without any knowledge of it's meaning is as offensive as someone who says it with full knowledge of it's meaning is totally beyond me and - no offense - seems ridiculous.


    But that is what you think and I highly doubt you will change your mind.

    And there is virtually NO WAY you will change my mind on this...so further discussion is pointless.


    Good day.

Page 31 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •