Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 184

Thread: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    When asked why he robbed banks, Slick Willie Sutton famously answered, “Because that’s where the money is.” Today, millions of Americans appear to have jumped onto our disability rolls for the very same reason. Today, 8.8 million Americans – nearly 6 percent of our workforce – claim they are physically incapable of working.

    Add in dependents, and the figure swells to nearly 10.9 million. The number has grown every month since January 1997, when there was a small dip, and has grown faster than the number of added annually to the workforce. For the United States, this is an expensive proposition. The Social Security Administration spent $137 billion on disability last year; Medicare costs for this group tack on another $80 billion, since folks on disability automatically qualify for Medicare.


    Read more at The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    When asked why he robbed banks, Slick Willie Sutton famously answered, “Because that’s where the money is.” Today, millions of Americans appear to have jumped onto our disability rolls for the very same reason. Today, 8.8 million Americans – nearly 6 percent of our workforce – claim they are physically incapable of working.

    Add in dependents, and the figure swells to nearly 10.9 million. The number has grown every month since January 1997, when there was a small dip, and has grown faster than the number of added annually to the workforce. For the United States, this is an expensive proposition. The Social Security Administration spent $137 billion on disability last year; Medicare costs for this group tack on another $80 billion, since folks on disability automatically qualify for Medicare.


    Read more at The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie
    I think it's just time we realized that some people, for whatever reason, would rather live in poverty, skim by, barely make do -- than actually work for a living. And let them have at it. We'll probably never have full employment in our country; so those people who'd rather scam the system, work out of the back of trucks, drive cabs and double-dip into SS disability? I say let them have at it. We're better off paying them to stay in the sidelines than treating whatever psychological problem they have that makes them too damned lazy to work a real job. I just hope the rich can continue paying them their benefits.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think it's just time we realized that some people, for whatever reason, would rather live in poverty, skim by, barely make do -- than actually work for a living. And let them have at it. We'll probably never have full employment in our country; so those people who'd rather scam the system, work out of the back of trucks, drive cabs and double-dip into SS disability? I say let them have at it. We're better off paying them to stay in the sidelines than treating whatever psychological problem they have that makes them too damned lazy to work a real job. I just hope the rich can continue paying them their benefits.
    I posted this today because I learned about someone that I knew was on disability because his company changed their policies and he was short of retirement age. I saw him working today, come to find out, he is allowed to make an additional 12k per year on top of the disability. Everything he owns is paid for so we are paying this guy a decent early retirement as it does not take much when everything is paid for. I called to see if that was true and it is. I was very frustrated with the whole deal but it explains to me the strategy of today's progressives.

  4. #4
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,290

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    If you think it's bad now, just wait until the CDC's decision to list obesity as a disease takes effect and the 30% of the population that's obese see a shot at free money in their future.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  5. #5
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If you think it's bad now, just wait until the CDC's decision to list obesity as a disease takes effect and the 30% of the population that's obese see a shot at free money in their future.
    And the litigation attorneys see yet another way to earn 30% of awards. Ha! The rich had better continue getting richer; they're going to have to.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  6. #6
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    35,715

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think it's just time we realized that some people, for whatever reason, would rather live in poverty, skim by, barely make do -- than actually work for a living. And let them have at it. We'll probably never have full employment in our country; so those people who'd rather scam the system, work out of the back of trucks, drive cabs and double-dip into SS disability? I say let them have at it. We're better off paying them to stay in the sidelines than treating whatever psychological problem they have that makes them too damned lazy to work a real job. I just hope the rich can continue paying them their benefits.
    That averages out to about $20K annually for each of those 10.9 million folks which is hardly "just getting by" even without considering the opportunity for "side work" to supplement that base pay. While "the rich" do pay most of the taxes that still ignores the other 43% of federal spending that exceeds what our congress critters will dare ask for in direct taxation.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #7
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    35,715

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And the litigation attorneys see yet another way to earn 30% of awards. Ha! The rich had better continue getting richer; they're going to have to.
    Attorney fees are now capped at $5,000 for SSI disability claims.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #8
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    And yet, it is all explained in the changing demographics of the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #9
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Attorney fees are now capped at $5,000 for SSI disability claims.
    I seriously doubt it. They aren't advertising on national television for clients for $5,000 a pop. Oh, I don't doubt that's what it looks like. I just doubt that's what it is.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If you think it's bad now, just wait until the CDC's decision to list obesity as a disease takes effect and the 30% of the population that's obese see a shot at free money in their future.
    Hell I am one of those guys. I have fought weight most of my life. I even had lap band surgery 2 years ago and managed to drop 80 pounds. I have not had a soft drink or beer in 2 years now. My health screening is tomorrow. They check waist size, sugar, cholesterol, BP, and triglycerides. If I hit on more than two I have to call or email a counselor twice a week for 90 days. I work out every day on an elyptical and bowflex when home, elypitical when I can on the road.

    Last year waist size was the only ding I got, but it is disgusting and frustrating to fight something this long and still be losing.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •