Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 184

Thread: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Can you debate the info in the link or not?

    He lied

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If you think it's bad now, just wait until the CDC's decision to list obesity as a disease takes effect and the 30% of the population that's obese see a shot at free money in their future.
    I'll promptly be illegally immigrating to Mexico when that happens.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Nice political fodder but there really is more to the story
    Disability Rolls and the Makers/Takers/Fakers Nonsense | Jared Bernstein | On the Economy
    His 1st graph still shows it nearly doubling as a % of the work force since 1990. His second graph shows that awards have nearly doubled per worker since 1990. In otherwords, his data is completely supports the OP, even as he desperately attempts to show otherwise. What a total fail.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    He lied
    He didn't lie. He clearly shows that even after adjusting for age and sex, the % of the workforce and # of awards per issurer have doubled since 1990. If anything, he made your argument for you and for that he deserves a huge

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    His 1st graph still shows it nearly doubling as a % of the work force since 1990. His second graph shows that awards have nearly doubled per worker since 1990. In otherwords, his data is completely supports the OP, even as he desperately attempts to show otherwise. What a total fail.
    I guess you did not read. As pointed out in te article:

    As Kathy points out, the number on the DI rolls has doubled since 1995 while the working-aged population has only grown by about a fifth. Sounds bad, right?

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    I guess you did not read. As pointed out in te article:
    As he points out, its still has nearly doubled when adjusted for the facts he adjusts for, and it still has nearly doubled when looking strictly at acceptances per insured worker. So your source does absolutely nothing except for prove the OP.

  7. #27
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    If you think it's bad now, just wait until the CDC's decision to list obesity as a disease takes effect and the 30% of the population that's obese see a shot at free money in their future.
    You are the victim of misinformation and/or sensationalism.

    The AMA has just declared obesity a disease. That does not mean however that obesity is in and of itself a disability nor does it mean that people will obtain benefits for simply being obese.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  8. #28
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,705
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Fundamental question.

    I honestly don't know the answer to this but would like to hear what others think. The theme of pretty much my entire lifetime has been "the rich keep getting richer". Statistics bear this out. The other half of that cliche' is "the poor keep getting poorer". This part I disagree with wholeheartedly because the definition of "poor" keeps changing. Having said that, the question I have is this: If the "wealth gap" in America were to decrease because of governmental policy changes, would the demand for programs like this also decrease?

    Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.

  9. #29
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Nice political fodder but there really is more to the story
    Disability Rolls and the Makers/Takers/Fakers Nonsense | Jared Bernstein | On the Economy
    Great article. Most people won't read it because it is more than a paragraph long, requires a bit of deductive reasoning and has a couple of charts. It also challenges preconceived and uninformed opinions. People hate that ****. Facts feck up an emotionally based opinion.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: The Disability Scam: A Great Government Freebie

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I posted this today because I learned about someone that I knew was on disability because his company changed their policies and he was short of retirement age. I saw him working today, come to find out, he is allowed to make an additional 12k per year on top of the disability. Everything he owns is paid for so we are paying this guy a decent early retirement as it does not take much when everything is paid for. I called to see if that was true and it is. I was very frustrated with the whole deal but it explains to me the strategy of today's progressives.
    The strategy of today's Progressives... let's see who was President when the rules were loosened? It was 1984 and the President was Reagan and the Republicans controlled the Senate. When did the skyrocket take off? 2000 the same year BushII took office and it has climbed at a pretty consistent rate ever since.

    I agree with Maggie it is cheaper to keep them on a small stipend and open the remaining jobs we have here in this country to folks who want them, and are eager to work.

    Oh a few questions... this man you say took disability as an early retirement... what do you call a decent early retirement? What state is this? how many other disability recipients have everything paid for?

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •