Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 247

Thread: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

  1. #231
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    And yet in 23 pages of rambling, you have yet to say what this logic or reason actually is. You simply say "it is what it is" without going into any sort of logic or reason at all.


    If it's such a well known fact, then prove it. The fact is, some people function better on drugs, some don't. Depends on the person, the drugs, the usage, the lifestyle, a whole range of factors.

    Lets assume you're right and there is such a thing as a "morally superior mental state", which just so happens to be what you are when you're sober. Then what if my mental state is different from yours, and by smoking weed my mental state becomes more like your mental state. Wouldn't that make smoking weed the "morally superior" thing for me to do?
    good luck ... but don't forget, God is on her/his side ...

  2. #232
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    good luck ... but don't forget, God is on her/his side ...
    Unless he read Exodus, in which case he'll know that every herb baring seed is mine for meat if I want it to be The bible definitely teaches moderation, but Jesus didn't get famous by turning water into non-alcoholic grape juice
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  3. #233
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    And yet in 23 pages of rambling, you have yet to say what this logic or reason actually is. You simply say "it is what it is" without going into any sort of logic or reason at all.


    If it's such a well known fact, then prove it. The fact is, some people function better on drugs, some don't. Depends on the person, the drugs, the usage, the lifestyle, a whole range of factors.

    Lets assume you're right and there is such a thing as a "morally superior mental state", which just so happens to be what you are when you're sober. Then what if my mental state is different from yours, and by smoking weed my mental state becomes more like your mental state. Wouldn't that make smoking weed the "morally superior" thing for me to do?
    What is morally superior is exercising the discipline not to become intoxicated. Recreational use of marijuana is an escape for the selfish and debauched. Morality requires that people subordinate their own animalistic desires to the needs of others. There can be no moral justification for throwing away your life on pot, any absurd rationalization fails to take into account the fact that the stoner who wastes his life is hurting others, indirectly, through his base and slothful lifestyle

  4. #234
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    good luck ... but don't forget, God is on her/his side ...
    God is on your side, too. Even if you don't realize it.

  5. #235
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Unless he read Exodus, in which case he'll know that every herb baring seed is mine for meat if I want it to be The bible definitely teaches moderation, but Jesus didn't get famous by turning water into non-alcoholic grape juice
    A common misunderstanding, based on ignorance of history. Alcohol in the Roman era was necessary due to the lack of clean water sources. Alcohol kills germs, so a highly watered-done wine was essential to prevent disease. It was not for recreational intoxication.

  6. #236
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Morality requires that people subordinate their own animalistic desires to the needs of others.
    What needs of others am I neglecting by smoking a joint or baking some cookies?
    There can be no moral justification for throwing away your life on pot, any absurd rationalization fails to take into account the fact that the stoner who wastes his life is hurting others, indirectly, through his base and slothful lifestyle
    You assume that everyone who uses weed "throws their life away" on it. Again, I built a successful business from nothing employing over a hundred people in a country where they actually need and appreciate the jobs, I've paid more money in tax than most people earn in a lifetime, and I'm barely 30 years old. I'm morally superior to many people who never use drugs, though drugs aren't necessarily the reason for that. It's what I do and say that defines who I am, not the drugs that occasionally help inspire those actions and words.

    God is on your side, too. Even if you don't realize it.
    How would you know? Maybe he's an Egyptian and his ancestors were cursed by one of your God's many genocidal plagues aimed at ethnic cleansing. Did that ever cross your mind?
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  7. #237
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    What needs of others am I neglecting by smoking a joint or baking some cookies?

    You assume that everyone who uses weed "throws their life away" on it. Again, I built a successful business from nothing employing over a hundred people in a country where they actually need and appreciate the jobs, I've paid more money in tax than most people earn in a lifetime, and I'm barely 30 years old. I'm morally superior to many people who never use drugs, though drugs aren't necessarily the reason for that. It's what I do and say that defines who I am, not the drugs that occasionally help inspire those actions and words.



    How would you know? Maybe he's an Egyptian and his ancestors were cursed by one of your God's many genocidal plagues aimed at ethnic cleansing. Did that ever cross your mind?
    I see that you are not tolerant of beliefs that differ from yours. But, assuming that you are asking a sincere question above, I will explain that when you are getting stoned you are putting your own selfish, animalistic desires ahead of others. You are choosing to use your time and money to destroy you intellect for pleasure, in he process wasting all of those scarce resources of debauchery when they could go to something productive.

    It is sad that anybody would need this explained to them. Getting intoxicated for fun is wrong. Self discipline and sobriety is always morally superior than the debauched, animalistic junkie lifestyle.

  8. #238
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I see that you are not tolerant of beliefs that differ from yours.
    Eh? What part of my statement was intolerant? You're the one who's claiming everyone has to do it your way and anything else is "morally inferior". I'm tolerant of Christianity, but that doesn't mean we have to pretend the Bible is full of peace, love, and unity. It isn't. It's full of violence, hatred, and ethnic cleansing with a few good (but contradictory) one liners about being nice to people thrown in for good measure.

    And you still didn't respond to the quote I gave from Exodus....

    But, assuming that you are asking a sincere question above, I will explain that when you are getting stoned you are putting your own selfish, animalistic desires ahead of others. You are choosing to use your time and money to destroy you intellect for pleasure, in he process wasting all of those scarce resources of debauchery when they could go to something productive.
    Again, this is simply ignoring the reality of my own example that I gave. I would have quit what I was doing from the sheer stress of it in the early stages. As it is, I smoked a few joints, calmed down, and everything worked out fine. Your entire argument rests on the idea that there is nothing productive about any mental state other than a sober one. There are mountains and mountains of scientific evidence to the contrary.

    It is sad that anybody would need this explained to them. Getting intoxicated for fun is wrong. Self discipline and sobriety is always morally superior than the debauched, animalistic junkie lifestyle.
    There is nothing animalistic or "junkie" (do you even know what that word means btw? I've never touched heroin or hard drugs in my life....) about my actions. I'm a responsible business owner who likes to get high sometimes because it makes me happy and occasionally provides some inspiration. That's all. The idea that it takes self discipline to be sober relies on the idea that not being sober is more appealing. Given that it clearly isn't to you, that argument goes out the window too.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    God is on your side, too. Even if you don't realize it.
    now we have a problem then ... what you say is "God's" morality is not what I say is "God's" morality ... in fact, God just contacted me and said to keep her/him out of this ... s/he said that s/he gave us the ability to reason for a reason ... s/he said to keep the supernatural out of it ... AND, told me to tell you to stop pretending that you know what s/he thinks or wants ...

  10. #240
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    now we have a problem then ... what you say is "God's" morality is not what I say is "God's" morality ... in fact, God just contacted me and said to keep her/him out of this ... s/he said that s/he gave us the ability to reason for a reason ... s/he said to keep the supernatural out of it ... AND, told me to tell you to stop pretending that you know what s/he thinks or wants ...
    Your facetiousness is not appreciated.

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1422232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •