Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 247

Thread: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

  1. #221
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    But you said he was a compulsive person with an addictive personality who actively sought out hard drugs. Tens of millions of people in your country alone smoke weed without ever going on to do harder drugs. This is just classic scapegoating.
    Hey, news flash: getting stoned is a dumb idea. You can try to rationalize it all you want but that doesn't change the fact that a life of sobriety and self discipline is morally superior to marijuana use.

  2. #222
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Hey, news flash: getting stoned is a dumb idea. You can try to rationalize it all you want but that doesn't change the fact that a life of sobriety and self discipline is morally superior to marijuana use.
    there are so many dumb things people do, and getting high on grass probably fits into that caregory, yet among the dumb things people do, this is one of the tamer ones, don't you think? Drinking alcohol and smoking, for example, are worse, no? But once you go down the "morality" road, ya gotta be careful ... Who's morality for example? I prefer to stay away from the moralilty argument on this ... I prefer the impairment argument and job loss, car accident, cancer, etc....

  3. #223
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    there are so many dumb things people do, and getting high on grass probably fits into that caregory, yet among the dumb things people do, this is one of the tamer ones, don't you think? Drinking alcohol and smoking, for example. But once you go down the "morality" road, ya gotta be careful ... Who's morality for example?
    No, marijuana is a filthy habit, I don't see a stoner as any different than a drunk or a paint huffer or whatever.

    And there is only one morality: God's.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    No, marijuana is a filthy habit, I don't see a stoner as any different than a drunk or a paint huffer or whatever.

    And there is only one morality: God's.
    Once you invoke your "God" there's no point to a conversation with you ... take care ...

  5. #225
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Hey, news flash: getting stoned is a dumb idea. You can try to rationalize it all you want but that doesn't change the fact that a life of sobriety and self discipline is morally superior to marijuana use.
    You haven't demonstrated even a single way in which not using weed is "morally superior" to using it. The fact is, it depends entirely on the person. Drugs can help people see things from different perspectives than they would when they were sober. If you're responsible about it, that can be a very positive thing. If you're irresponsible about it (especially acting on those perspectives without revisiting them when sober) it will generally turn out bad.

    You'd like it to be a simple thing where sober state of mind is better than drugged state of mind. It would be cool if it worked like that, it would make the whole subject far less hassle, but the basic facts show that it isn't that simple. It depends on a massive variety of factors.

    Usually I'd argue that all this stuff is irrelevant anyway, because no one has the moral authority to dictate what plants I choose to consume, but given that you claim to be a libertarian I've assumed I didn't need to explain that to you. Do I?
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  6. #226
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    And there is only one morality: God's.
    Oh lawd. If you just said that from the start I wouldn't have bothered getting into a discussion based on logic and reason with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by God
    Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
    Last edited by HumanBeing; 06-24-13 at 12:14 PM.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  7. #227
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    Once you invoke your "God" there's no point to a conversation with you ... take care ...
    It's a shame you feel that way. Why is that?

  8. #228
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    Oh lawd. If you just said that from the start and I wouldn't have bothered getting into a discussion based on logic and reason with you.
    All of God's morality can be known through logic and reason. It isn't hidden.

  9. #229
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    You haven't demonstrated even a single way in which not using weed is "morally superior" to using it. The fact is, it depends entirely on the person. Drugs can help people see things from different perspectives than they would when they were sober. If you're responsible about it, that can be a very positive thing. If you're irresponsible about it (especially acting on those perspectives without revisiting them when sober) it will generally turn out bad.

    You'd like it to be a simple thing where sober state of mind is better than drugged state of mind. It would be cool if it worked like that, it would make the whole subject far less hassle, but the basic facts show that it isn't that simple. It depends on a massive variety of factors.

    Usually I'd argue that all this stuff is irrelevant anyway, because no one has the moral authority to dictate what plants I choose to consume, but given that you claim to be a libertarian I've assumed I didn't need to explain that to you. Do I?
    It is a well known fact that sobriety is morally superior to intoxication. That is something that should not need to be explained.

  10. #230
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    All of God's morality can be known through logic and reason. It isn't hidden.
    And yet in 23 pages of rambling, you have yet to say what this logic or reason actually is. You simply say "it is what it is" without going into any sort of logic or reason at all.

    It is a well known fact that sobriety is morally superior to intoxication. That is something that should not need to be explained.
    If it's such a well known fact, then prove it. The fact is, some people function better on drugs, some don't. Depends on the person, the drugs, the usage, the lifestyle, a whole range of factors.

    Lets assume you're right and there is such a thing as a "morally superior mental state", which just so happens to be what you are when you're sober. Then what if my mental state is different from yours, and by smoking weed my mental state becomes more like your mental state. Wouldn't that make smoking weed the "morally superior" thing for me to do?
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •