Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 247

Thread: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

  1. #171
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    I have found one Ronald Reagan quote that I agree with: "Governments job is to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in trying to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan

    Think about it.
    I agree to a point but pot laws protect everyone, not just the user

  2. #172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    So you're in favor of the government "protecting people" from themselves.

    Some people are individual who engage in horrible judgement, or have very bad tempers that give way to common sense or reason, do we need ban guns for everyone becuase there are those people that need protecting?

    Some people have addictive, compulsive behavior, as you say. They eat themselves into obesity, disease, and sometimes death on horriblely fatty and sugary food. Do we need to have the government ban high sugar or high fat foods for everyone because there are those people that need protecting?

    Some of those same people with addictive, compulsive behavior, love htemselves some alcohol. Once they start drinking they can't really stop, and it affects their entire life. On top of that, their impaired judgement can lead to others being harmed as well. Shall we have the government ban alcohol for everyone because there are those that need protecting?

    Or are you suggesting that JUST those with compulsive behavior need helping...in which case it would mean you should be arguing for legalization, with the government providing assistance or support to those with such behavior, rather than punishing all to "protect" a few from themselves.
    Now that is just a lie, weed smokers operating cars or equipment are endangering others not just themselves

  3. #173
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
    I agree to a point but pot laws protect everyone, not just the user



    Prohibition protected a lot of people also, but I doubt that we will ever bring it back.

  4. #174
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,964

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    What is "just a lie"? You quoted my whole post and specified nothing. Are you saying everything in it is a lie?

    And yes, weed smokers operating cars or equipment endanger others, not just themselves. So do alcohol drinkers operating cars and even people who use cell phones.

    Shall we have the government ban alcohol and cell phones from everyone because some individuals that partake in them may take actions that put others in danger? Or does your big government nanny state only extend to pot?

  5. #175
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    St. Petersburg
    Last Seen
    10-06-16 @ 12:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    16,875

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    "Governments job is to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in trying to protect us from ourselves." ~ Ronald Reagan
    Interesting quote coming from Mr. Just say no.

  6. #176
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    No, there is not 'no evidence'.

    You just don't like/agree with it.

    Yale study: Marijuana may really be gateway drug

    Yale study: Marijuana may really be gateway drug - Connecticut Post

    Personally, I believe it can be a gateway drug for some people.

    How many? No idea. Probably not the majority that start meth/crack/heroin.

    For me it was booze/arrogance/being semi-tricked into it.

    Note: again, I quit in '02.



    I strongly agree with legalizing drugs though.
    That study does nothing to indicate causation, but merely verifies correlation. As such, it does nothing at all toward evidence showing that Mj is a gateway.

    And this is very typical of the way such sloppiness is presented. It does not indicate what they say it indicates, and people swallow it uncritically. Thank you for demonstrating exactly what I was talking about in an earlier post, so perfectly.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  7. #177
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    That study does nothing to indicate causation, but merely verifies correlation. As such, it does nothing at all toward evidence showing that Mj is a gateway.

    And this is very typical of the way such sloppiness is presented. It does not indicate what they say it indicates, and people swallow it uncritically. Thank you for demonstrating exactly what I was talking about in an earlier post, so perfectly.
    Nevertheless...it IS evidence.

    Just because you (and others) don't like it does not disprove it's existence.

    So your statement that there is none for the other side is wrong.

    I will not debate this as a) common sense should have told you this before you even typed your initial reply to me; and b) I just don't care much.


    Have a nice day.

  8. #178
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by blaxshep View Post
    Really, that is the main reason why I started.
    I really don't form my political polices around the actions of the criminally inclined.
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  9. #179
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Nevertheless...it IS evidence.

    Just because you (and others) don't like it does not disprove it's existence.

    So your statement that there is none for the other side is wrong.

    I will not debate this as a) common sense should have told you this before you even typed your initial reply to me; and b) I just don't care much.


    Have a nice day.
    I will reply to this because you are mistaken, and it should be pointed out. It is evidence, but it isn't evidence for marijuana being a gateway drug. So, this evidence does not support your point that "there is evidence". Showing correlation in no way supports the notion of causation. It is only evidence for the fact that people who like marijuana also like other drugs in a greater proportion than the general population, which is entirely unsurprising. It is your preconceived notions that are causing you to think that it is evidence for anything more than evidence for just that.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

  10. #180
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Dezaad View Post
    I will reply to this because you are mistaken, and it should be pointed out. It is evidence, but it isn't evidence for marijuana being a gateway drug. So, this evidence does not support your point that "there is evidence". Showing correlation in no way supports the notion of causation. It is only evidence for the fact that people who like marijuana also like other drugs in a greater proportion than the general population, which is entirely unsurprising. It is your preconceived notions that are causing you to think that it is evidence for anything more than evidence for just that.
    Oh Jeez - I did not say what it proved or disproved....I merely said it was evidence - which you even agree with.

    I don't even begin to care whether it proved anything as I really don't care much whether marijuana is or is not a gateway drug.

    'ev·i·dence (v-dns)
    n.
    1. A thing or things helpful in forming a conclusion or judgment:
    '

    evidence - definition of evidence by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.


    My overall point is this statement of yours:

    'There is no evidence that Marijuana is a gateway drug.'


    is totally unprovable.

    There is no possible way you could know what every single person's reason for starting serious drugs are/were.

    So there is no possible way for you to know that there is 'no evidence' that marijuana is or is not a gateway drug.

    You can guess, hope or even believe - but you cannot know.

    Making inexact statements that are totally unprovable does not further your cause.


    You disagree?

    Take a WILD guess how much I care?


    Have a nice day.
    Last edited by DA60; 06-21-13 at 04:20 AM.

Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •