Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 247

Thread: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

  1. #111
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    I make money, I employ people, I pay taxes (albeit against my will), and I smoke marijuana daily. It evidently hasn't affected my motivation.
    Doesn't quite prove anything one way or another. One person doesn't make the rule. It's like someone saying "my grandpa smoked since he was 20 and never got lung cancer." Not saying I agree with RP's statement, but the scientist in me won't let me sit here and let you get away with an argument like that.

  2. #112
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Doesn't quite prove anything one way or another. One person doesn't make the rule. It's like someone saying "my grandpa smoked since he was 20 and never got lung cancer." Not saying I agree with RP's statement, but the scientist in me won't let me sit here and let you get away with an argument like that.
    But his argument wasn't scientific either, it was just a patently false blanket statement meant to generalize and insult. I simply responded by giving my own personal take on it. What's the scientist in you got do do with it?
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by HumanBeing View Post
    But his argument wasn't scientific either, it was just a patently false blanket statement meant to generalize and insult. I simply responded by giving my own personal take on it. What's the scientist in you got do do with it?
    Because I hate any sort of refutation that uses the word "I do this or I do that." Who knows, RP could be right and you might just be the exception to the rule.

    A statement like "pot smokers lose motivation" doesn't mean every pot smoker in the world is lazy. But perhaps someone who isn't dealing with high amounts of stress like you and doesn't have that sort of responsibility, pot smoking might "relax" them even more to the point where they lack any sort of intrinsic motivation. Or maybe its just the culture of people smoking pot like a bunch of hippies and look down on working a normal job/normal life. Fairly or unfairly, pot will always be tied to the image of the counterculture movement and I see plenty of people in college who still adhere to those sort of ideals. Don't automatically assume that he was referring to you specifically, no one probably would even know you smoked cannabis unless you told them.

  4. #114
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    I don't like rand Paul at all but nothing he said here is wrong. Smoking pot is a dumb idea. So is drinking alcohol and huffing paint. It should be legal to do stupid **** like this but that doesnt mean it should be actively encouraged.

    It is disgusting that so many libertarians are ONLY libertarians for the drug legalization. These junkies who can't separate their bad habits from their politics are the reason we aren't mainstream. Get the **** out of the libertarian party, we don't need you!
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 06-20-13 at 09:29 AM.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Oftencold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    A small village in Alaska
    Last Seen
    05-09-14 @ 12:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    5,044

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Meh, my score dropped 30 points in roughly a year "albeit I was taking an online test, it was the same one as the first take", without any usage of drugs asides from alcohol use. IQ fluctuates with psychological health, if you say using marijuana is immoral, you might as well say that acquiring depression is also immoral.
    How 'bout just saying that a recreational pursuit that turns people into pliable idiots is unwise for anyone not heavily invested in the high-calorie low-nutrition snack industry?
    Quod scripsi, scripsi

  6. #116
    Educator HumanBeing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    745

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Because I hate any sort of refutation that uses the word "I do this or I do that." Who knows, RP could be right and you might just be the exception to the rule.
    Yes, but unlike him, at least I gave an example instead of just a broad unsubstantiated statement aimed at millions upon millions of weed smokers.

    A statement like "pot smokers lose motivation" doesn't mean every pot smoker in the world is lazy. But perhaps someone who isn't dealing with high amounts of stress like you and doesn't have that sort of responsibility, pot smoking might "relax" them even more to the point where they lack any sort of intrinsic motivation. Or maybe its just the culture of people smoking pot like a bunch of hippies and look down on working a normal job/normal life. Fairly or unfairly, pot will always be tied to the image of the counterculture movement and I see plenty of people in college who still adhere to those sort of ideals. Don't automatically assume that he was referring to you specifically, no one probably would even know you smoked cannabis unless you told them.
    Well yeah, that's the point isn't it. He wasn't referring to anyone in specific, or giving any facts to back up his claim. Like I said, it was just a broad attack on people who smoke weed in general. He didn't even limit it to stoners, he just said "people who smoke weed" as if taking a puff every now and then is going to turn you into some sort of messed up drug addict.
    If you hate capitalism so much, then just write everything in lower case. Problem solved.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I don't like rand Paul at all but nothing he said here is wrong. Smoking pot is a dumb idea. So is drinking alcohol and huffing paint. It should be legal to do stupid **** like this but that doesnt mean it should be actively encouraged.

    It is disgusting that so many libertarians are ONLY libertarians for the drug legalization. These junkies who can't separate their bad habits from their politics are the reason we aren't mainstream. Get the **** out of the libertarian party, we don't need you!
    Actually, those "people" you refer to are wanting limited government the same as you. I think those libertarians that agree with pot being illegal should get the **** out of the libertarian party.

  8. #118
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,650

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Oftencold View Post
    How 'bout just saying that a recreational pursuit that turns people into pliable idiots is unwise for anyone not heavily invested in the high-calorie low-nutrition snack industry?
    Sounds amazingly like the (long ago) failed argument for prohibition of alcohol.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  9. #119
    Sage
    Guy Incognito's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 07:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,216

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Actually, those "people" you refer to are wanting limited government the same as you. I think those libertarians that agree with pot being illegal should get the **** out of the libertarian party.
    I dont know anybody in the libertarian party who thinks pot should be illegal. But I know plenty self professed libertarians who like pot so much they turn on their fellow libertarians who dare to mention the fact that getting stoned is a BAD IDEA.

    The libertarian party is the anti-coercion party. It is NOT the party of Cheech and Chong. Libertarian does not mean libertine.

    The stoner association does us far more harm than good.

  10. #120
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Rand Paul: Marijuana users lose IQ points and lack motivation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    I dont know anybody in the libertarian party who thinks pot should be illegal. But I know plenty self professed libertarians who like pot so much they turn on their fellow libertarians who dare to mention the fact that getting stoned is a BAD IDEA.

    The libertarian party is the anti-coercion party. It is NOT the party of Cheech and Chong. Libertarian does not mean libertine.

    The stoner association does us far more harm than good.
    Getting stoned is no more a bad idea than getting drunk. ANYTHING can be abused and misused. Smoking pot 17 times a day is not a good idea. Smoking pot once a day is not going to make someone a complete idiot who is unproductive either just as having a glass of wine a day or a beer is going to do the same thing.

    Seems many so called libertarians simply have a sterotype attitude for pot smokers that they are all Cheech and Chong smokers.

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •