Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 295

Thread: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)[W:33]

  1. #91
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    So a bill to subsidize phones passed under Reagan and expanded to cell phones under Bush is called an "Obamaphone".....

    Makes sense to me!
    Like the conservative wordsmith Luntz says:

    "Its not what you say, its what they hear."
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  2. #92
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Fact for you: The program expanded in 2008. When do you think you would see cost expansion? Hint: after 2008.
    Fact for you to discover. When was it expanded, and who actually did the expanding?

    (Don't forget to include the clarification for the thing you claim Bush signed)

    Here, since the kryptonite you handle seems to be causing you problems.

    Some facts about the original order issued in 2008.

    FCC Headlines 2008

    4/11/08
    FCC Conditionally Designates Tracfone as an Eligible Telecommunications Carrier for Lifeline Service In Several States.
    Order: Word | Acrobat


    Adopted: April 9, 2008 Released: April 11, 2008

    By the Commission: Commissioners Copps, Adelstein and Tate issuing separate statements.
    I. INTRODUCTION
    1. In this Order, we conditionally grant the petitions of TracFone Wireless, Inc. (TracFone) to be designated as an eligible telecommunications carrier (ETC), eligible only to receive universal service Lifeline support, in its licensed service areas in New York, Virginia, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Alabama, North Carolina, Tennessee, Delaware, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and the District of Columbia, pursuant to section 214(e)(6) of the Communications Act of 1934, as amended (the Act).


    Now, a little something about the Commissioners who passed this reform.

    FCC Commisioner Michael Copps: Was the former Chief of Staff to Democrat Earnest Holings, a well known liberal.

    FCC Commissioner Jonathan Adelstein, was a former senior aide to Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, who's legend speaks for itself.

    FCC Commissioner Deborah Tate, was appointed as an interim Commissioner by President Bush.


    So, the forces that pushed through the reform were who again?

  3. #93
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Right after it was expanded. Funny that....

    Do you know who did the pushing in Ohio?

    (I learned long ago, never ask a question you don't know the answer to)

    Hmmm?

  4. #94
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,166

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by ocean515 View Post
    Well now, there is hope for you!

    I guess you couldn't run away from the fact the program took off like a wildfire in 2009.

    For example:

    1 million Ohioans using free phone program | www.daytondailynews.com

    Growth in the program is fed by the 2008 decision to extend it to prepaid cellphone companies, which get up to $10 every month that someone is subscribed. The number of cellphone companies offering the service in Ohio grew from four in 2011 to nine currently, with seven more awaiting approval from the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio.

    Hmmm. Ohio. Just thinking out loud here. What was it about Ohio that was important? Something about the last election and swing states...
    That must be it...Ohioans benefiting from a program passed under Bush made them vote for Obama. Maybe you guys should start marketing them as "Bushphones" instead of incorrectly calling them "Obamaphones". Maybe you guys would of had a chance using that reasoning.

    The program probably "took off like wildfire" because something passed in 2008 takes time to implement.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #95
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    That definitely makes sense if you believe in a caricature of poor individuals that includes anything you give them being sold for drug money.
    Yeah, I am sure the reasons so many kids are going hungry because their parents aren't smoking the crack pipe and just cannot afford to feed them anything with the food stamps they get.

    When I was idealistic and optimistic and naive, I used to represent indigent people in criminal cases. They will tell you how they scam the system with pride sometimes, and more often with indifference. But hey, an hour later they won't remember the conversation so surely they know whether or not they fed their kids.

    On the plus side, there is little difference in my mind between someone selling their food stamps and somebody trying to make the taxpayers pay for their mom's nursing home so they can get her house and sell it for themselves--it is just a matter of scale.

  6. #96
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Greetings. Ocean515.

    Like the children holler during a treasure hunt..."you're getting warmer!" : I just think most people would have held out for more, but what the heck? I guess any freebie is better than none if you can be bought!
    Hi Polgara

    I had a sense you took a vacation or something.

    You know, I think the Lifeline program has merit, but it should have been obvious from the very beginning fraud would be rampant. We've seen such "good intensions" go to the dogs here in California.

    The remarkable thing is, if you asked anyone, they would have predicted it.

  7. #97
    Sage

    ocean515's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,705

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    That must be it...Ohioans benefiting from a program passed under Bush made them vote for Obama. Maybe you guys should start marketing them as "Bushphones" instead of incorrectly calling them "Obamaphones". Maybe you guys would of had a chance using that reasoning.

    The program probably "took off like wildfire" because something passed in 2008 takes time to implement.
    Awsome spin ramen. No, that wasn't it, but it was a good try.

    I guess the former chief of staff to Holings, and the former senior aide to Daschle should have done a better job promoting their reform so it wouldn't have taken so long to take off.

  8. #98
    Sage
    Somerville's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    On an island. Not that one!
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:52 PM
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)[W:33]

    A little update on the Lifeline phone program

    'Obama phone' facts still a hang-up in Washington
    4. Lifeline is exploding.

    House Commerce Committee Republicans warn that Lifeline may have an “unsustainable” trajectory. They note that the program has nearly tripled in size from $800 million in 2009.

    In the past eight months, though, the number of participants has decreased by more than 5 million. Spending dropped in 2013, with $143 million this March compared with $178 million during the same time last year. The FCC estimates it will save $2 billion by the end of next year.

    Just this Wednesday, the commission cited nearly 40 people for milking the program. In February, it reached a settlement with two Oklahoma companies. The businesses ended up paying more than $1 million to end an investigation into whether they violated Lifeline rules.

    Read more: 'Obama phone' facts still a hang-up in Washington - Jessica Meyers - POLITICO.com
    “And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.”
    ~ James Madison, letter to Edward Livingston, July 10, 1822

  9. #99
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)[W:33]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    The DailyMail is not an honest source? Who knew.

    The video doesn't lie. From the source, out of the words of the employee. Not O'Keefe.



    Another example



    Now you can throw a tantrum and whine about O'Keefe all you want. The facts are the facts. This is what The Left does when they can't refute the facts. They attack the source.
    That's O'Keefes schtick.

    He goes to dozens of places with his bull****, gets shut down and kicmed out until he finds some idiot to say something stupid, then edits his videos to make it look like that individuals stupidity is the norm.

    In the ACORN one he even edited a conversation to make it look like a comment was in response to one query when in fact it was in response to an entirely different question.

    But don't worry, O'Keefe will only put the tip in...
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  10. #100
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,166

    Re: Obamaphones Being Sold For Drugs, Shoes Ect. (Video)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    Yeah, I am sure the reasons so many kids are going hungry because their parents aren't smoking the crack pipe and just cannot afford to feed them anything with the food stamps they get.

    When I was idealistic and optimistic and naive, I used to represent indigent people in criminal cases. They will tell you how they scam the system with pride sometimes, and more often with indifference. But hey, an hour later they won't remember the conversation so surely they know whether or not they fed their kids.

    On the plus side, there is little difference in my mind between someone selling their food stamps and somebody trying to make the taxpayers pay for their mom's nursing home so they can get her house and sell it for themselves--it is just a matter of scale.
    Some people definitely defraud the system but there a lot of folks that need assistance and receive it that you would probably never know use it.

    I wouldn't judge everyone you saw based on individuals you represented in criminal cases....that seems to me like you're already using a population with some tendencies to abuse systems...
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •