Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 142

Thread: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

  1. #21
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    45,091

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. Thanks for posting up something we could all get our teeth into about what should be a slam-dunk "WTF?"



    This is a disgusting finding. The only thing I can think of is that, since he was tried for murder, they found that he wasn't directly responsible for her death and were not allowed to find him guilty of a lesser charge. Other than that? Grave injustice done here.

    We cannot -- must not -- allow people to use their guns in this way and then let them walk away. If someone isn't in reasonable fear for their life? (And I'm willing to stretch this quite a bit.) They shouldn't be able to shoot someone.
    I thought you were a big proponent of jury nullification (despite my excellent arguments against it)? This is what nullification is, rendering a verdict contrary to the law and evidence to make a statement. It's what you support.

  2. #22
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,244
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    I thought you were a big proponent of jury nullification (despite my excellent arguments against it)? This is what nullification is, rendering a verdict contrary to the law and evidence to make a statement. It's what you support.
    Yes, I do support it. Not sure that's what happened here, though. Nonetheless, you've made your point. If they tried him for murder and she didn't die because of the injury he caused, I'm not sure "guilty" was the right one. But, in my opinion, they should have structured their prosecution so he could have been found guilty of a lesser charge. Just listen to Smarty Pants Maggie who knows nothing about the law.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #23
    Sage
    Gaius46's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,599

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    This is a disgusting finding. The only thing I can think of is that, since he was tried for murder, they found that he wasn't directly responsible for her death and were not allowed to find him guilty of a lesser charge. Other than that? Grave injustice done here.
    Texas, at least as I read the statute, doesn't strictly require that you intend to kill someone for it to be murder. If you intend to cause serious bodily harm, and intentionally shooting someone meets that criteria, and the person dies that still qualifies as murder. On the surface it does sound like a grave injustice but there's just got to me more to this. I personally don't buy the life support idea.
    Don't be a grammar nazi - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 1 #7

  4. #24
    Tavern Bartender
    #NeverOprah
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,560

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    In Texas, you cannot legally expect sex in exchange for money. Therefore she wasn't stealing anything.
    I guess the jury disagrees with you. Juries actually make law.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #25
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by csbrown28 View Post
    http://gawker.com/texas-says-its-ok-...have-511636423

    Words cannot adequately describe...

    Attachment 67148564

    Is there anyone with the balls to defend this?
    How is the decision and interpretation by 12 people on a jury indicative of the whole 25+ million other people in the state?
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    In Texas, you cannot legally expect sex in exchange for money. Therefore she wasn't stealing anything.
    Then she should have given him his money back, otherwise she was robbing him. It is alright to shoot a robber if he takes your property.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    Better move to Tejas first, most states do not permit this, Oklahoma is one such state that bans using deadly force at night to 'protect' property.
    Another good reason for me to stay south of the Red River, as if I need a reason.

  8. #28
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,068

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    How is the decision and interpretation by 12 people on a jury indicative of the whole 25+ million other people in the state?
    Please read the whole thread...You'll understand.

  9. #29
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    lots of websites reporting the acquittal. Apparently in Texas it doesn't matter if you are attempting to get an illegal act with the 'property' that is money to the rest of us. It would be interesting to see if she actually promised sex for money, I didn't think ads could do that, the promise is time for money. (one website says he thought the money would get him sex but didn't say there was any proof she had promised it)
    Incidentally, Texas is one of a very small number of states (the only one I can think of off the top of my head) that allows for the use of deadly force to recover property (rather than to protect yourself or others).

    I do wonder a great deal if the jury would have acquitted if the shooter had been a gangbanger trying to recover his stolen crack. My guess is, not so much.

  10. #30
    Guru
    csbrown28's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,068

    Re: Texas Says It's OK to Shoot an Escort If She Won't Have Sex With You

    Quote Originally Posted by Texmex View Post
    Then she should have given him his money back, otherwise she was robbing him. It is alright to shoot a robber if he takes your property.
    She allegedly robbed him.....

    The problem with letting people decide the guilt or innocence of another person without an understanding of all the facts ultimately will lead to mistakes. Laws like those in TX are guaranteed, on a long enough timeline, to lead to these types of cases.

    We can judge her character as a prostitute and decide her guilt.....But the reality is we really don't know her situation. While very unlikely, maybe her pimp told her to take the guys money without providing services or he'd hurt or kill her. I admit it's far fetched, but not impossible in this situation or another.

    Texas lets you be judge and jury, they let you decide if you have the right to take another life in the defense of your property. So the idea that you are innocent until proven guilty fly's out the door.

    I could see something like this being abused. Lets say I sold something to someone I didn't like and they came over to my house to pick it up....Upon driving away with it I shoot him and claim he stole it. Well, if he is dead, he can't defend himself....Now what? Again, unlikely? Perhaps, but not beyond belief.

    What if she threw the money on the floor before he left and he didn't see it? Do you think that if he lost sight of her for 3 seconds he would assume that? Do you think he announced his intention to attempt to kill her if she didn't give him the money back? (maybe many not).

    What about untrained people wielding guns in the defense of their property. What about stray bullets? Are we ok accepting that risk? Is it realistic in a culture that advocates the possession of a weapon with absolutely no training required that they should know, not only how to use it, but all the potential results of their actions under duress?

    I think the thing that appalls the average person is that this 23 year old woman was, as the result of her stealing 1-3 days pay, was sentenced to life trapped inside her body for 50 more years (she was paralyzed) assuming she would have lived an average life. Was her freedom or her life only worth $150?

    I would have mailed the shooter his $150 if it meant saving her life....Even if she was a prostitute.
    Last edited by csbrown28; 06-07-13 at 01:16 PM.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •