Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 269

Thread: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

  1. #71
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    There are many, many other paths open to women. The quote in the OP is suggesting otherwise. Obviously your children are important to you, but do you think you couldn't have made your mark on the world in some completely different way if you'd never had kids at all? Just because you're a woman?
    Of course I could have. I've worked as an RN for most of my adult life, after I had children, and raised them to the point that their socialization was good for them. My point is that if you don't want to make your children priority one, then don't have them. We already have enough ****ed up kids in the world as it is.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  2. #72
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Of course I could have. I've worked as an RN for most of my adult life, after I had children, and raised them to the point that their socialization was good for them. My point is that if you don't want to make your children priority one, then don't have them. We already have enough ****ed up kids in the world as it is.
    I agree with that. It's not what the quote in the OP is saying at all.

  3. #73
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, don




    I'm gonna guess a few people here at DP think this train of thought hits a big nail squarely on the head.




    I am not one of those people.

    I see that address as a major failure.

    Changing dirty diapers is not my idea of a great job (I've changed plenty and washed them.).

    Whoever picked that social studies teacher to give the commencement address failed.

    Who made the rule that women have to do all of the tough jobs?

    I'm not buying that idea, this is the 21st Century. We need to share the tough work.







    Tolerance is giving to every other human being every right that you claim for yourself." ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

  4. #74
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:34 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,888

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    And that's perfectly fine. What I'm taking issue with is the notion that the most important way for a woman to impact the world (and only a woman) is to raise children. There are many, many other paths open to women. The quote in the OP is suggesting otherwise. Obviously your children are important to you, but do you think you couldn't have made your mark on the world in some completely different way if you'd never had kids at all? Just because you're a woman?
    Do you think that had lizzie not made her children the most important people in the world, their mark on the world would be completely different?

    Everyone gets the choice of how to raise their children, or to have children at all, and how important those children will be to their lives.

    A woman's biggest impact on the world is their ability to have children, to suggest otherwise would be moronic. You can argue the societal points all you want, but biology will win.

    I would love to stay home and raise my children, but my wife prefers to do it.

  5. #75
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    A woman's biggest impact on the world is their ability to have children, to suggest otherwise would be moronic.
    Not so much, no. As I've explained numerous times, there are any number of career paths women can have that will result in her having a much larger impact on the world than she would by raising children.

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    You can argue the societal points all you want, but biology will win.
    Biology won't necessarily win here, but a career in biology (or chemistry, or physics) might:

    Marie Curie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Tell you what - why don't you take your argument back to the 1950's where it belongs, and let the rest of us enjoy the modern world, m'kay?

  6. #76
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yes, I think the BEST people in the world come from GOOD homemakers, not somethiing either of us can "know for a fact". You can give examples, but they can easily be knocked down. Same with me. But what is not subjective is the role of the mother in a child's life. With rare exception mothers are the central important figure for a child, yes, more important than fathers. It's great to have both, but when it comes down to it, there's a reason mothers generally get custody.



    Nonsense, you have that reversed. The egg does not precede the chicken in this context.
    My mother figured prominently in my life not just because she was a tough mother, but as an adolescent and young adult, it was her role as a career woman and her political work that influenced me even more.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  7. #77
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    When did being a great wife and mom become a bad thing? The only thing wrong with this statement, as I see it, is that he didn't also encourage the male students to be great husbands and fathers and forget all that wasted time working late and on weekends chasing the CEO ring and spend more time with your wife and kids and help them be successful in their lives too - it's the greatest reward.
    If you think that is the reason why people are pissed off at this guy then you just don't get it.

    A woman's role is whatever she wants it to be, there is nothing wrong with equality in the work force, there is nothing wrong with women being CEO's, and there is nothing wrong with not having kids, or getting married if you don't want too.

    Women should be free to choose, and have the same opportunities as men, not be pigeonholed into a life they may not want.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  8. #78
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    My mother figured prominently in my life not just because she was a tough mother, but as an adolescent and young adult, it was her role as a career woman and political work that influenced me even more.
    I suspect she also chose to make you the overriding priority. Dare I say you would have found yourself just as proud of and influenced by her had she instead chosen to be solely a homemaker.

  9. #79
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    If you think that is the reason why people are pissed off at this guy then you just don't get it.

    A woman's role is whatever she wants it to be, there is nothing wrong with equality in the work force, there is nothing wrong with women being CEO's, and there is nothing wrong with not having kids, or getting married if you don't want too.

    Women should be free to choose, and have the same opportunities as men, not be pigeonholed into a life they may not want.
    Indeed, and no one, not even in the OP is saying that women can't make all those choices, or that they are terrible human beings for doing so. But right now, we need great mothers to engineer great families more than just about anything else. So the call goes out - that's precisely what happens in commencement speeches.

  10. #80
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,702

    High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I suspect she also chose to make you the overriding priority. Dare I say you would have found yourself just as proud of and influenced by her had she instead chosen to be solely a homemaker.
    She made us the priority, but her work was also as a result of our family. I would have been proud of what she had done, but I would by lying if I said I would have been as proud. Her work has been very important for children, for parents, for the state, and the legislature. Her influence would have also greatly diminished. We're working together frequently, in the same professional circles, and its largely because of her influence.
    Last edited by Fiddytree; 06-04-13 at 05:22 PM.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •