Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 269

Thread: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

  1. #61
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I think that's terrific - however, with what is going on with society and a lot of young people today, I don't think you could argue that's the norm rather than the exception and deserving of at least one mother-of-the-year award.
    Nonsense

    The high # of children born into single parent households proved you wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  2. #62
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    If the central contention is that the most important/impactful thing a woman (and only a woman) can do is to be a mother (which is exactly what it says in the OP quote), then you cannot reasonably suggest that you're not also viewing a woman's role as primarily being about producing children. By extension, you're suggesting that a woman's worth is primarily about her influence over her children.
    Imo, whe she is having children, rearing them is the most important thing she can do. When she's past or pre- childbearing, then other things take priority. Are our children not the most important things in the world? Do they not determine the future of our civilization? There is no more critical role than the rearing of children. They are our future. If they can't function well, and be prepared to carry on, then that does not bode well for us.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #63
    Professor
    vendur's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-05-13 @ 08:35 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,250

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Figures it's a yahoo news link.

    Trying to pull in the huffington compost ignoramuses.

  4. #64
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NC
    Last Seen
    09-04-15 @ 01:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    420

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Wow - that's just depressing as hell.

    He wouldn't have had to put himself through the rigors of the military life as he has done if I was gainfully employed all this time. He wouldn't have been injured and now dealing with a large plethora of health issues because we chased the idealized lifestyles of the gender minded modern couple.

    And what - some health insurance is going to compensate for the children not having a father?

    I don't think so.
    i wasnt trying to be insensitive....i was an Army brat...my dad did 30 years with viet nam in the mix...and my mom didnt work out side the home until i got my drivers license and looking back i am glad for it, she was mom, always there, never tied up in meetings or leaving having to messages when i needed something, no baby sitters or after school care...I went home....i as well did a stint and my wife didnt work while i was in.....and of course an insurance policy doesnt compensate for a father...that was never implied, but it does compensate for incmome replacement as it is intended...i think its a necessity for all families, and if both parents work theres no reason not to have it...its cheap when you are young...............my wifes cousin lost her husband to suicide leaving her with a 14 year old son and a brand new mortgage, at least she was covered with a good policy and luckliy the 2 year suicide clause had expired

  5. #65
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Imo, whe she is having children, rearing them is the most important thing she can do. When she's past or pre- childbearing, then other things take priority. Are our children not the most important things in the world? Do they not determine the future of our civilization? There is no more critical role than the rearing of children. They are our future. If they can't function well, and be prepared to carry on, then that does not bode well for us.
    Several things:

    1) The fact that children are important emphatically does not mean that, as the quote in the OP suggests, the most important thing a woman can do is raise a child. As I've pointed out - with specific examples - there are several career paths that are substantially more important, even if child welfare is the only thing you're considering.

    2) There's an implicit assumption in the argument that you and others are making in this thread that a woman and only a woman can properly care for a child. This is quite simply false, and the studies tend to bear that out. You could also look to Scandanavia to see examples of fathers taking on a more robust role in the home. They have the highest standards of living in the world.

    3) There are plenty of people producing children in the world. We are increasingly facing population related problems in the world. Given that, why is producing more children more important than, say, finding a renewable source of clean energy?

  6. #66
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Several things:

    1) The fact that children are important emphatically does not mean that, as the quote in the OP suggests, the most important thing a woman can do is raise a child. As I've pointed out - with specific examples - there are several career paths that are substantially more important, even if child welfare is the only thing you're considering.

    2) There's an implicit assumption in the argument that you and others are making in this thread that a woman and only a woman can properly care for a child. This is quite simply false, and the studies tend to bear that out. You could also look to Scandanavia to see examples of fathers taking on a more robust role in the home. They have the highest standards of living in the world.

    3) There are plenty of people producing children in the world. We are increasingly facing population related problems in the world. Given that, why is producing more children more important than, say, finding a renewable source of clean energy?
    Then we will have to agree to disagree. To me, my children were the most important people in the world, and my priority was to raise them to the best of my ability.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  7. #67
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by fishinRod View Post
    i wasnt trying to be insensitive....i was an Army brat...my dad did 30 years with viet nam in the mix...and my mom didnt work out side the home until i got my drivers license and looking back i am glad for it, she was mom, always there, never tied up in meetings or leaving having to messages when i needed something, no baby sitters or after school care...I went home....i as well did a stint and my wife didnt work while i was in.....and of course an insurance policy doesnt compensate for a father...that was never implied, but it does compensate for incmome replacement as it is intended...i think its a necessity for all families, and if both parents work theres no reason not to have it...its cheap when you are young...............my wifes cousin lost her husband to suicide leaving her with a 14 year old son and a brand new mortgage, at least she was covered with a good policy and luckliy the 2 year suicide clause had expired
    No - you weren't being insensitive . . . I was just saying it like it is. . . as were you.

    In a nice, awesome world the choice to be a stay at home mother ends with nothing but positive results.

    That is not the world I'm living in.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #68
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    No, he said:

    "The greatest impact you could ever contribute to our world is a loving investment in the lives of your precious children. To solve the problems plaguing our society, we donít need more women CEOs. We need more women as invested mothers.Ē

    So yes, he is in fact telling young woman that they should stay at home. More importantly, he's telling them that their contributions to the world are best achieved through staying at home and squeezing out babies.
    No he's not.
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  9. #69
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Then we will have to agree to disagree. To me, my children were the most important people in the world, and my priority was to raise them to the best of my ability.

    And that's perfectly fine. What I'm taking issue with is the notion that the most important way for a woman to impact the world (and only a woman) is to raise children. There are many, many other paths open to women. The quote in the OP is suggesting otherwise. Obviously your children are important to you, but do you think you couldn't have made your mark on the world in some completely different way if you'd never had kids at all? Just because you're a woman?

  10. #70
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: High school commencement speaker tells females: stay at home, donít be CEOs

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    No he's not.
    Oh, well that settles it, then. Well argued.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •